Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Social & Business Meals Out

I'm wondering how people are dealing (pre-op and esp post-op) with social and business situtations. I'm single; my social life is pretty much based on meeting friends for dinner and lunch. I also have business obligations that include lunches/dinners. How are you handling this? I really don't feel any obligation to explain myself....

I was just sleeved last week so I haven't been in this situation yet, but I imagine you can order a la carte, ask to share, or just order whatever you want to eat and doggie bag the left overs. If somebody comments on how much you've eaten there's always the 'I had a late lunch' or 'I haven't felt well lately' or 'I'm on a diet and am cutting down on portion sizes'.

I always order soup/salad. Don't finish either, but am able to participate. If anybody asks, I say I either had a late Breakfast, going to have an early dinner or that I am just not feeling well.

I travel a lot and find myself in a lot business situations like that. I'll order something, actually anything I might like, and eat a little of it and keep up on conversations, etc. Before long, the meal is over and I've got a plate of food left. Any questions and I just say that I got caught up in the conversations, wasn't really hungry, etc. They all work. drinks are always the biggest issue because I eliminated almost all alcohol during my loss period. I'd order club soda or juice and just keep away from the empty calories. If the business situation called for it, I might have a glass of wine but probably nothing else.

My friends , I am soo lucky, all know about my surgery and have chosen to support me and so when we go out for lunches, they share with me....

During dinners my 15 yr. old daughter is so compassionate toward this entire WLS situation she says "mom what would you like to share with me tonight?"

otherwize if I go with my husband and son, I order an omlet or a bowl of Soup.

I order whatever I choose, get a to-go box right away and eat what I can. I have no problem telling people about my surgery. The wait staff seems to understand more when I hardly eat anything they bring out. I have been to pizza, mexican, chinese, sushi, burgers etc and still lose weight, seems to work for me.

I will usually try and order an appetizer when I am out or share with friends. I have got used to leaving most the food on my plate or getting it to go.

I have been pretty honest with people about my journey. My friends will share my food. I have a few friends that burn calories quickly and they will finish my meal.

I remember going out to lunch with a client a few months ago and he had talked up tthis restaurant so I concious of not looking like I am not enjoying, so I told him what had done and he was like, I wasn't going to judge your eatting, just get what you want to go.

It just shows most people are more interested in the company than what you are eatting :)

Salads are a good option if you don't want people to be aware of how little you ate, especially if they have a lot of mixed greens - they take up a lot of space on your plate, but very little in your stomach.

I always order a salad w/ the dressing on the side. I eat some Protein dipped in the.dressing, box the.rest up to go & ask for dressing to go on the side & then I've eaten & have another meal ;)

I have this same issue- I travel alot for work. For meals, I try to order an appetizer, or Soup and just eat what I can. If it is a buffet, I just take a little bit of Protein and vegetable. When I am done eating, I just fold my napkin over the plate so no one can see if what/how much I ate. If someone does ask, I just tell them I am on a diet and leave it at that.

I'm only 5 weeks out but have already "had to" go to 3 business outings. I've been ordering Soup, or a side like mashed sweet potatoes. Once I ordered trout and just kind of picked at it. I did the same with my lapband. Soups, or a sweet/baked potato side dish or seasonal veggies... salad was a hit or miss but I'd go for a soup/sandwich or soup/salad combo.

I always order a to-go box as I order my meal. If anyone has questioned it (rarely) I just say that I'm not very hungry & know I won't eat it all anyway.

I don't really do appetizers because they tend to be the crappiest choices, nurtitionally speaking -- although I have done a sashimi appetizer. I'm talking about the fried this & that, this & that nachos, this & that creamy dip, etc. kind of appetizer. Same with kids meals - they're largely crap foods like fried chicken srips, mac & cheese, hot dogs...

I'm very outspoken about the surgery so if people ask I just tell them I had it and therefore only eat small portions. Sometimes a friend, coworker, or waiter will be a bit surprised when they see how little I eat but I just laugh. I say "yep that's it" and leave it at that.

For choices, I try to stick to Soups, chili, or an appetizer (if I can find a healthy one...you'd be amazed how UNhealthy most of them are). If those aren't an option I just order an entree and take the leftovers home with me if I can.

For traveling, I almost always have cheese sticks or Protein bars/shakes with me. If I get caught in a pinch I get Wendy's chili or a hamburger without the bun.

@Hawaii4me

I am on the go and eat out a lot- im a procrastinator so if its not grab-able at the last minute it doesnt come with me!

I have had great success in ordering off the starter menu "as a meal". Usually its something like chicken skewers or seared ahi, meatballs (no sauce), non-cream Soups or even cocktail shrimp. I would recommend avoiding the Chili's, Red Lobsters and TGIF type resturants and go for more ethnic or local places that you can get something other than fried cheese and chips!

My to-go vice is the premier Protein drinks, light babybell cheeses, Jack Links Jerkey Nuggets (be mindful of the sodium), hard boiled eggs, almonds (if you are far enough out), 3oz tuna or chicken singles and or if you can stomach it- SPAM lite, Oscar Meyer sells these 2oz Turkey cold cuts for like $.99 that are a bargain.

I also LOVE the Taco Bell "fresco soft chicken taco"- Its just chicken, tomatoes and lettuce- and I toss the tortilla. Its 2g carbs, under 100 cal and 6g Protein per taco that way. Healthy and quick!

I also bought nectar singles from Vitamin Shoppe and mix them in the Skim milk singles you can get at 7-11's that give you 32g protein and they are good! Maybe if you are on the road a lot, keep a small cooler in your car with gel packs.

I also bought 7 small Vitamin containers at GNC for $1/ea and make my vitamin/pill pack once a week.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the tips! Being in a car for 8 hours is not fun but

Getting to see the grand kids makes it all worth it!