Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Day 4- Hungry And Depressed

I'm a 35 year old mom who had a sleeve on tues 4/24 and I am on full liquids for the weekend and I have been eating some cream Soups, puréed soups and yogurt in addition to liquids And Protein Drinks because I'm hungry. I feel full after I eat but I'm finding now that a miss eating food... I'm totally confident in what I did was the right thing, but is anyone else felt like this? I also have a constant headache .. I'm only able to eat a few spoonfuls so I don't know if I'm getting enough protein.. I'm really glad I found this board :)

I too had my surgery on 4/24. I am only on liquids and Jello, which I guess is a liquid. I DO miss food. This surgery has opened my eyes to how many food commercials are on TV; I even concentrate on how much the Jersey Shore kids eat! I am not hungry, but that emotional pang (which I denied I had) is still there. I see it this way, I will be able to eat one day. Probably at the end of June. If I didn't have this surgery, at the end of June I'd probably be 5-10 lbs heavier since I was not in control of my food and I would be like "damn, if only I had that surgery life would be different right now." I am 35 with no kids and life is a little easier because I am not around anyone who eats. When your kids are indulging in some pizza and burgers, which they are entitled to, remember that this is just right now. It is not forever. You are learning the healthy approach to food, which you will enjoy again.

I haven't had my surgery yet - schedule for 5/14 - but did you do a pre-op diet? If you didn't do one or if your pre-op diet didn't consist of getting rid of caffeine and other things like that, the headache could just be from your body detoxing still and adjusting to everything. Sorry I can't help more since I haven't had surgery yet. Hang in there!

After surgery, I was hungry too. It took me a little while to get adjusted, but I did. Does your doctor have you on a PPI for the acid and gas in your stomach? PPI is nexium, omeprazole, etc. That is a great help. If you not on that, please call your doctor and have them clear it for you. Both of you ladies are doing great! Let's Rock the Sleeve's and shed those ugly pounds and enjoy our rides. It gets easier from here on end. ;)

MamaT, I'm wondering the same thing as MomScholar, did you have to do the two week pre-op liquid diet? Also, I am wondering if you and other people that have to be in a program for six months prior to submitting to the insurance and providing logs of the food have an easier time because you are already following a low calorie, high Protein carb diet?

I have been following low carb/high Protein diet for six months, between 800-1000 calories, I quit drinking during dinner and 1/2 hour after dinner, I'm still having an issue with cutting out my 1 cup of coffee a day. I will do that during the two week pre-op liquid phase and hopefully forego the caffeine withdrawal headaches. I'm just waiting for insurance so I can get surgery date.

Hey there not sure about the hunger thing since I'm just 3 days out. But the headaches - most likely due to hydration status. It is a prime sign of dehydration so cheers! *raises glass* good luck!

I am a 4/24 sleeved too! 46 and mom of two hungry teenager athletes. I could use some support buddies. I purchased Unjury chicken Protein Powder online. It was reasonable and tastes good. I have had two today adding 16 oz of Water and 42 grams of Protein. I sip slowly and it takes an hour but it has been very helpful. I am finding an odd joy in cooking for my kids. They enjoy my cooking so much. It allows me to interact with them and food in a "normal" way while I sip away.

It gets better. I had surgery 4/6 and 3 weeks out I am enjoying the flavors of regular food but of course pureed or very soft. Cottage cheese with pureed fruit (canned peaches, pears, pineapple) goes down so easy. Fat free refried Beans with melted cheese, tuna and tilapia, all kinds of Soups, hot Cereal. I have good energy too, not crazy about the Protein Shakes, but at this stage I need them. It will definately get easier very soon!

I was sleeved on 4/23. I am getting all my fluids and Protein in, and do not feel hungry at all - BUT - I truly miss food. I really want some pizza and a cheeseburger too! I keep telling myself, it's not as if I'll never have them again - JUST NOT NOW. I have to wait. I totally want what I want when I want it, just like a 2 year old. It's time for me to grow up and get healthy. I can't have what I want to eat any ole time I feel like having it. Those days are done. I didn't go through this surgery to fail. There will be time for pizza and time for cheeseburgers, the time is not now. Good luck fellow sleevers!!

Mamma t

The first two weeks are the toughest. I was sleeved on 3/30/12 the first week is sugar free clears. So you have minimal calories once I started drinking the Protein drinks I had a big increase in energy. The headache is from dehydration most likely. If you had a lot of caffeine before surgery could be withdrawal. Please don't question your decision. I was going through my phone last night and found a picture from January showed it to some one did not realize it was me. I have lost 40 lb since prepping I am past my 3 week stall and down from a 2 xl to xl and they are big. I feel great. Just keep up the fluids. You are doing great.

I'm also sleeved on 4/24. I'm hungry too. It was a little better when I was on my pre op diet, because Doctor let me have my little spinach salad at night. I really looked forward to that saladbut with just broth, Jello, cream Soup and yogurt, it's boring!! I can't wait to eat soft mushies atleast. I know Im not getting enough Protein in, I track my intake on: myfitnesspal,and I taking in only about 250-275 calories a day. I get so full right away, but the waiting to drink and then eating again, it's a full time thing!!

For the pre op sleevers: it is a rough go for the first 3 days, especially if you are detoxing from caffiene and carbs, like I was. I had a Migraine that kept me out of comission for 24 hours. Not being able to take my Advil Migraine, was torture! We can take Tylenol! But I have to take more just to feel decent! All Doctor's protocol are different, some folks have no restrictions on caffiene. Lucky!!!

Good Luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Reading all of your posts just makes me feel better – thank you and I know this will be a journey-- I'm so glad I found this board!

So sorry you're having s hard time. I was sleeved on Tuesday too. I feel the hardest part is to overcome thinking of food and wanting to eat even though I am not hungry!

Are the Soups and yogurts low fat? I'm shocked they ok'd that! Jealous almost. Be careful you don't rupture!

This is a difficult life change. Please know you're not alone and you'll be a happier and healthier woman/mommy for the rest of your life if you can just get through these few weeks and be really good to yourself! ((((hugs))))

I was also sleeved on the 24th and although I am not hungry, I am having a hard time with the food smells in my house and not being able to pick up and love on my 16-mos granddaughter.

Since I am on Clear liquids for 2 full weeks, I better get used to it. My Dr said that my sleeve needed to heal before I put other stuff in it. So.......here I sit sipping Water, Jello and broth. Trying to get down Isopure, but it just makes it hard to drink the other stuff because of the taste it leaves in my mouth.

I sleeved on 4/23. I am not hungry since I am full liquids According to to my log, I was 250 Cal yesterday and close to 500 today. I got in all my Protein and close to all my liquids . I can't wait until I can have yogurt, applesauce, and other things so I can add to my food bank.

I am looking forward to getting rid of shots I have to give myself though. My BMI was 50 so I had extra to help in not to blood clot with these shots.