Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions For All People Wih Complications

Well, from what I understand, it's all up to your dr. on how long the preop diet is. My dr. asked that we all lost 25 lbs prior to surgery and I did that in 14 days 4 weeks prior to surgery, thanks to new hypothyroid pill dosage. But from what I know, that's his 'standard' diet. All of these diets are done to shrink your liver, which is done through weight loss. Not sure if he asks all patients to lose weight earlier on .... but since he's had the surgery himself, maybe he didn't want all of his patients to suffer. I'll ask him next time I see him.

And he did use staples. He even told me a more clinical version of the reason that the leak occurred (and the staples name) but if I had that good of a memory, I'd be on jeopardy! :( (dang it, i need ginko biloba!)

1. In the beginning, Did you follow all the recomended precautions like the liquid diets a few weeks ahead and then Clear Liquids? Yes, my preop diet was 2 weeks of liquids, Protein shakes and veggies. I was on full liquids for 2 weeks after surgery.
  2. Did you do pre op and post op test? Did your dr. check over for leaks, if so when? Yes to all the testing. My doctor checks for leaks in the staple line before bringing you out of the surgery room.
  3. Did you follow the reccomended liquid diets after? and the blended solid diet there after? Yes 2 weeks after on full liqhids then soft Proteins for 2 weeks.
  4. Did you pick up heavy things or over do it? No I was even told no to vacuum.
  5. Who was your Dr.? Dr Max Hammer Springfield, IL
  6. What kind of reaction did you have and how did you know something was wrong? I had an abscess and leak. I had extreme left shoulder pain and a cough. I complained about these things and was told it was acid reflux by my primary doc and NUT for a good month before my leak was discovered. As someone else said, most leaks are not anyones "fault." Be prepared that it could happen to you. No matter who your doctor is or wether you follow every rule in the book.

Again not looking for bashing just facts.. Nor am I trying offended anyone.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I woke up from surgery not able to drink Water and did not eat again for about 4 months! I had a twisted stricture. I am fixed and better now. Happy that I had the surgery. But complications most certainly do happen. Surgens are human. You sign a waiver. And if they happen to you it is 100 percent you. Having said that lucky they are rare. I went to a centre of excellence. They covered all costs of making me better. And the bill was huge. The surgeons were so caring. It is not always the fault of the patient.

• In the beginning, Did you follow all the recomended precautions like the liquid diets a few weeks ahead and then clear liquids?

I was instructed to follow a high protein/ low carb diet for two weeks before surgery, then all liquid Protein the week before (I had Water and shakes). Clear liquids were necessary the day before surgery.

• Did you do pre op and post op test? Did your dr. check over for leaks, if so when?

I did the usual pre-op tests, like an EKG, urinalysis, blood panel. The post-op tests did include a barium swallow study, only because I was so nauseaus and had vomited in the hospital (no leaks found). I did have one test of my j-tube drainage to test for stomach acid, to be sure there were no leaks into my abdominal cavity.

• Did you follow the reccomended liquid diets after? and the blended solid diet there after?

I followed a full liquid diet for two weeks. This mainly consisted of Water, Soups, and Protein shakes. I have advise for you - drink water! I became severely dehydrated and landed in the ICU two weeks post op with clots in my legs and lungs.

After the two weeks, the first thing I ate was a few bites of baked potato. That was too thick..... the only things that have made me throw up since surgery (over 2 years ago) is rice, and fresh baked bread because they are too sticky and get stuck. I don't know if they would still get stuck, but after a couple times of that excruciating pain I don't want to try and find out!

• Did you pick up heavy things or over do it?

No. The only thing I'd do differently is drink more water. When I got home, I could barely take anything in. My nausea was HORRIBLE and I probably only consumed about 4-5 oz/ day.

• Who was your Dr.?

Dr. James Kemmerling in Green Bay, WI

• What kind of reaction did you have and how did you know something was wrong?

Severe nausea was my worst immediate post-op complication. It took a lot of different meds to help with it and even then it was still bad. It lasted a couple weeks, and I never hope to experience it again.

Also, like I mentioned I was dehydrated and got blood clots..... My eye sockets were sunken in, my legs hurt/cramped really bad, I was barely urinating, I was so lethargic/listless.

Good luck!

Teri

I was sleeved 4/24 so I'm only about 2 weeks out. My surgery was a breeze. My doctor did not require a pre-op diet. His only requirement was that I not gain any weight. I had to be on clear liquids 24 hrs prior to surgery. Let me just back up a little bit........my initial consultation was 3/19. My insurance company did not require a waiting period or 6 mth supervised diet. I had to have 1 psych eval ,1 nutritionist visit and a upper GI. It is amazing how quickly it all happened. My surgery was scheduled and !bam! it was done. Now as far as my surgery is concerned..........I was extremely nauseous after coming out of recovery. The doctor assured me it was because of the anesthesia. By that night it was completely gone. The next day I had a couple episodes of acid reflux but nothing major. It was all uphill from there. The last day I had pain meds was the day after surgery and haven't had any since. I feel great! My doc required me to do 2 week liquids including cream Soups. The only way I have cheated is by taking chunky Soup and blended it to where I could drink it. I didn't try that until I was over a week out. My doc had said at my 1 wk appt I could do Tomato Soup and that all I had to do was strain my soup. If it would go through a strainer it was ok. So I made that work for me :) I haven't had a bit of problem with those soups. I am still eating 4-6 oz sometimes 8 oz. I have not overfilled myself yet so no vomiting. I seem to be able to notice when I get full. Its a full feeling in my throat. The ONLY problems I'm having is making sure I'm getting enough fluids and Protein. The other problem is smells! I have not been hungry since surgery BUT the smells of other peoples foods is killin me. I haven't given into temptation but man its hard! Those are the 2 worst things that are happening to me right now. I have an appt Wednesday to see the nutritionist. I will be able to go on soft/mushy foods and I am overjoyed! I know this is terribly long but I didn't want to leave anything out! For me this has been a great experience!

My complications were a blood clot and an infected incision. I followed my doctor's orders to the tee with the exception of taking my Lovenox shots. That's why I got the clot. If I had taken my shots like I was supposed to I wouldn't have gotten it. As for the incision, I did everything I was supposed to. When they removed my bandages, a ton of Fluid leaked out and it's taken about two weeks for the very tiny hole to close. In the meantime it did get infected and I'm on antibiotics to clear that up.

My biggest complaint was the lack of energy after the surgery for the first month or so. I wish someone had warned me about that.

im wondering what you mean by didn't take your shots? are you supposed to do them yourself or is this something they give you after surgery at the hospital and you refused?

im wondering what you mean by didn't take your shots? are you supposed to do them yourself or is this something they give you after surgery at the hospital and you refused?

I was supposed to do them myself but between the fatigue and the mental fog I was in for about two weeks I forgot to take them. The clot is definitely my fault as I should've made those a priority. Live and learn. :(