Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newly banded

I just got banded on the 11th of August. I am not getting any full sensation from the liquids I'm consuming. Should I stop anyway, instead of drinkng all I want? I have no nausea at all. Just soreness from incisions. I have no fill yet, jus the band. any help would be appreciated.

:(

It takes 6 weeks for your body to heal from the surgery. Since the band is not inflated at all, it's unlikely that you'll feel full or notice any difference that before you were banded. Once you begin the fill process, you'll notice a change but remember, it can take 1-3 fills before you "know" you were banded.

Hi,

I was banded on the 10th of August and like you Mert, I have no fullness. I know we are banded, but I'm not sure to what degree. I'm just taking it easy and drink a little and then drink some more later. I'm not having much pain now, just a little from the incisions. I was in the hospital, not a surgery center, and I tell you I don't know how anyone can have this surgery and then up and out of there in a few hours. I guess they had a few more problems with me, because I did have a problem with some bleeding, luckly no transfusion though. I am on Plavix and aspirin and that's why they had the bleeding problem. At first I was beginning to wonder if I made a mistake, but today I feel pretty good so we'll see how it goes down the road. So far according to my scale I haven't lost any weight, don't know how I couldn't, because I sure haven't had much, but I guess all the boost and slim fast have sugar in them. So far the worst thing is trying to take my medications. I take so many, hope to get off a lot of them, that it takes me forever to take them broken in half and then take 1 at a time.

Don't mean to be a whinny butt, I know this will probably be the best thing that has happened to me in the long run and I have to remember that I'm not as young as most of you so I'm sure it will take me a while to bounce back.

Ya'll take care and let's keep this going, we can compare and see if we are doing about the same.

You shouldn't even worry about restriction or weight loss right now. You have to have time to heal. Some people even gain before their first fill. Just take it easy and get your Proteins in and rest. You have time to worry about when the restriction starts and the weight starts to drop. Contratulations on your bands.

I wouldn't stop drinking. The liquids are giving your body nourishment that you need to heal and stay healthy. If you lose any weight, it's just a bonus. It took you a long time to gain the weight and will take some time to lose it. It's really important to take care of yourself right now.

Keep reading and posting. There is a wealth of information here.

I am only feeling soreness right now and most of the soreness is at the place where the port was attached. The pain meds they gave me makes me loopy and sleepy. I am drinking herbal teas, Soups, sugar-free Jello, and Water. I feel really good, but not 100 percent by any stretch of the imagination. I am so happy to have that surgery over with. Have been taking my temperature twice a day to make sure there is no fever/infection. I had a great hospital experience. And my family is treating me like Queen Bee...I better enjoy this while it lasts!!!

So happy to be banded, I just don't want to hurt my pouch by drinking too much at this point. I hope I am doing all I'm supposed to be doing.

Mert and Endocollector, Welcome to you both. I drank all the liquids I wanted my first and second week out.My doctor admitted he made a mistake when he put boost and ensure on our list because they are for weight gaining. He also had slim fast but I changed to Atkins Advantage because of less calories and less sugar, still do one every morning.

Endocollector why did they not take you off plavix and asprin a little before surgery. I take an asprin a day and they told me to quit one week before surgery.Good luck to you both and it will def. get so much better.:(

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations Mert on your surgery! Hopefully I will be close behind you. I am very new to this forum, but I have read many of the tips, suggestions, helps and experiences and am learning so much from all of you. I have my appointment with my surgeon on Sept 14. I have completed all the pretesting including; lung function, 1 year dieting and excersize program, pulmonary exam and psycological evaluation.:faint: I'm waiting next for a veterinary exam and anyone else they want to have take a peek at me. I know there is a reason for it all, but my gosh! It's a great thing to be able to share with you all and follow your progress.

Take care!

glitteryourway0e3cff39264fb37e9e08d5070661f164he4.gif

weight.png

Lap band surgeon: DR.Snyder

Rose Medical Center

Denver, Colorado

Date to be determined

A vet exam was about the only thing they didn't want from me lol... I really got myself worked up and nervous about this surgery. I guess that is natural, but it would have been better just to try to relax and enjoy the journey. I am so happy to have this new opportunity for restored health. It is a good idea to be planning your liquid phase well ahead and get the food supplies you'll need in the pantry. Also, luxurious Body Creme, like Crabtree and Evelyn, is an important part of my supplies (for exterior beauty) !!! I'm loving it.

ps: Get some liquid vitamins (like Centrum) and liquid extra strength tylenol too!

HI Mert,

How are you feeling today?

The vet exam went well. They asked about heart- worm. I told them "no, I divorced him a long, long time ago."

It's a good thing, because I married a sweetheart 16 years ago. He's awesome and supportive of the surgery. Are you married, how is your family doing with your decision for surgery?

Sometimes you've got to shed the bad to get to the good. That's how I'm looking at the banding. Life changing for the good. Hang in there.

Baby steps.

Did you find a Protein drink you like? If you did, what is it?

Did anyone ever say to you, you can substitute mushie food stage, with baby food? I've heard it's very low sodium, little additives and preservatives, fast and convienent. I have to admit at first I thought they were kidding, but then as I thought about it, it made perfect sense.

Take care,

Michelle

Baby food? Yuk! Have you tasted that stuff? Bland. No flavor. I needed flavor for grownups. Get reaquainted with your blender. I loved blended/thinned Soups. Very satifsying and yummy.

Stitchy,

I haven't tasted baby-food in about 14 years, and that was just on my lips to make sure it wasn't too hot for the baby. Thanks for the tip. I have to admit those baby food beef sticks look like something from a bad sci-fi movie LOL :)

Michelle

Yeah, I've had to be treated for a wormy heart a few times in my 49 years. Those heart worms can do you in if you don't shed them quickly. The Protein Powder my hubby found (not a wormy husband) was at Walmart and is called Body Fortress, whey Protein, unflavored or vanilla flavored. It has 20 gs /serving and is quite tasty. I am blending with ice, frozen peaches and splenda and skim milk. Blend, blend, blend to a super liquified smoothie. yummm-o.

My family is very supportive thank goodness. I got real excited and told anybody who would listen what kind of sugery I was having, so I've been getting lots of phone calls of support. I had plenty of folks praying for me and I attribute that to my doing so well. My tummy is itchy today. The incisions look like they have superglue on them. I can't tell if there is an incision in my belly button or not. There is one sewn up with real fine thread, that is the big one above the belly button. that big incision is rainbow colored, blue, green ,red , pink but looks dry and is not hot to the touch. There are 5 incisions and maybe one in the belly button (six?). I have still not been nauseated, just sore but very very happy....

Mert and Michelle= I have also been examined by all. Did not fail my sleep study, passed the psy eval now just waiting on ins to realize that they have to cover it since I met their criteria.

Did you have to pre-op fast? Im scheduled for 9/21 and I am soooo excited!! I now look at skinny people to compare what I will look like instead of looking at fat ones wondering if Im that size? I dont think the mushies will be hard, its the clears im worried about.