Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newly banded

AnewMichelle - Hello from another new Michele - you asked about good Protein drinks - I have found quite a few....

1) Carnation Instant Breakfast - no sugar added. (Found at the grocery near the oatmeal and cream of wheat) Mix that with 1 cup of skim milk and 1/4 c dry milk powder and you will get 19g of Protein with the vanilla - 18g of protein with the chocolate. Plus you can go to the website www.carnationinstantbreakfast.com and go to recipes and there are tons of ideas to help you with smoothies and stuff. This is the best tasting one that I have found. (Sometimes I add 2 Tbsps of Fat free half and half and that gives me another gram of protein making it 20g of protein and a bit smoother flavor - although this is very smooth anyway. Add some strawberries or other favorite fruit in a blender and it is super yummy.

2) unjury Protein shakes - THESE are awesome - they taste good and have no cals. 1 scoop of Unjury is 20 grams of protein - add it to 1 cup skim milk and you have 28 grams of protein right there. This comes in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry and also unflavored. The unflavored is great to add to Soups, cream of wheat, oatmeal and such because it boost the protein and doesn't change the flavor much. I have even started adding 1/2 a scoop to my crystal lights to get 10g of protein from my clear fluids too. This was suggested to me by my dietician and DR. You can only get it at www.unjury.com but it's worth it and only takes a day or two to get it.

3) Advant Edge - I have tried the vanilla and chocolate and they are not bad. They are really good when you are rushing out the door of a morning. They give 15g protein each and can be found at the grocery store.

All of these were actually recommended by my dietician who works with my DR - so they are good and not too high in calories like slim fast. I hope these help!!!

Congratulations Gonnabethin!

Thank you for the Protein drink tips Mcmaddlapband those sound really good! I will check out those helpful sights.

The pulmary dr. who examined me said my liver did not need to be preshrunk it was small enough, so I won't have to fast too much. I've been living on Protein Drink supplements anyway so I wouldn't mind it even if I had too. When we all have dieted most of our lives these minor things are just one more step until we are the person we want to be, the healthy person inside. Halleluia!

I did have a oxygen sleep level test too and he said I have 30% sleep apnea. He will check again after I've lost more weight to see if it normalizes. It actually helps my case for insurance coverage, so I'm trying to look at it as a positive thing. Many people have no more apnea symptoms after some weight is lost. I'm so happy for you, your date is comin up pretty soon goonabethin, that is so awesome for you! :clap2: .

Hey Mert. How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in awhile. P.S. I loved the peaches Protein Drink it was very nummy!

weight.png

The smoothie factory sells their low carb Protein mix its "Gladiator" and it comes in choc, vanilla & strawberry. The strawberry is Great!! Ive had choc, vanilla in the store but not at home. It contains per 2 scoops 190cal 1.5carbs and 45g Protein!! I put 2 scoops per 8oz skim milk and a few ice cubes. There are 20 servings per container and its about $40- so $2 per serving but who's counting at this point! The 45g Protein is why I got it!!

Thank you for the great suggestions. I will check into carnation instant Breakfast and Unjury. wow good ideas. thanks a lot. I'm not as upbeat as I was a few days ago because I feel like I'm losing control of my eating. I need to kick myself in the butt, but I'm not nimble enough.

Mert - I am right there with you - today was the worst day yet as far as wanting to eat. I started my nursing classes today and they surprised us with a catered lunch for us to say Congrats on our scholarship - and it was awful to have it right under my nose and given to me as a gift kind of and not only want it - but also feel obligated to eat it.

It was so hard not to gobble the whole grilled chicken salad down. I just played with it a bit and took a couple of bites of the cheese and chewed them for what seemed like 5 minutes each. I actually had to put some over in my friends dish so that it looked like I ate my meal. As soon as I had a break I ran to the car and had my smooth and creamy yogurt that I had packed.

Then I accidently swallowed a piece of Trident gum and was so scared it would stick that all I did was drink Water for hours it seemed.

I have been down about it all day. The sad thing is that this was a meal good for me and in just a few weeks I will be able to eat it (or at least a fraction of it).

I just keep thinking this phase is not forever - it will pass - LOL.

You give me a kick in the butt and I will give you a kick too...

YOU CAN DO IT - and I CAN TOO!!! Off to have some Soup. Bye for now.

I looked on the smoothie king webpage- they do have them in Georgia!! Smoothie Factory is the other big smoothie place here in Texas, however "Gladiator" is a smoothie king product!

Hi all,

I'm getting myself prepared (stocking the pantry, food shopping) as I will be banded on September 5th.:clap2: I'm a little concerned. My surgeon gave me a booklet on stages of eating. The first day and the day after surgery I should consume pure liquids. After the first two days, he will have me on thin puree for two weeks. That diet consists of Soups, blended cauliflour, yogurts, cottage cheese etc. I don't see that from many people during the first two weeks. The 3rd and 4th week consists of thicker pureed foods. 5th week solids. Does that sound right?

That sounds close to my post-op plan. Clear liquid for 2 days. Full liquids for 2 weeks, mushie food for 2 weeks after that.

It's a bit surprising to me how instructions differ dr to dr.

I am preparing to get banded on 9/7/06 and boy am I nervous. I am nervous about everything from my diet, managing pain, and returning to work. Today I am going food shopping to pick up a few items for my surgery,so I am getting prepared. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

I'm also newly banded on 8/21/06. Any ideas on whats expected to happen on a postop appointment?

Vivian

Dr. Geiss, NY (236 lbs.)

I'm also newly banded on 8/21/06. Any ideas on whats expected to happen on a postop appointment?

Vivian

Dr. Geiss, NY (236 lbs.)

Hi Vivian,

We have the same surgeon. On your first post-op visit you will be seen by Dr. Geiss. He will weigh you, check your incisions and answer any questions. After that, you're done and will schedule a 2nd appt. for your first fill.

Mert,

I did a search for BCBS and I found that you and I have the same insurance. Then I did a search on your name and found you an this recent thread. I guess I am a Mert stalker :).

I have BCBS TRS Activecare (My husband is a teacher & coach in the Houston Area). I wanted to hear your approval story. I am just starting and I wanted to know what documentation they required and any roadblocks you faced.

THANKS!! and congratulations on your surgery!!!

Stephanie

Newbie here, from Australia, had lap banding done on August 4th and 1st fill of 4 mils on Sept 12,, incredible pain and unable to eat or drink anything,, so 2 mils out on sept 13. Totally happy with it now and weight loss of 35 pounds in the 7 weeks. Thoroughly happy but a long way to go. We are metric here so that means I have broken the 100 kg mark,,,so very pleased with that. My goal?????? The surgeon never set one but ideally I would like to get down to 126 pounds , so thats 90 pounds to go. Power to all of you travelling this road with me. Carol