Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rheumatoid Arthritis Or Other Autoimmune Disease / Problems

Hi All,

Just curious if there are any other sleevers, future or sleeved, that have RA or similar health issues.

I have Rheumatoid arthritis and 2011 was a horrible year for me. Lots of pain and lots of health issues.

Anyhow, just looking to share the experiences.

Odee

I know there is research regarding RA and ghrelin. It has something to do with the inflammatory process. And from my personal experience I have had no osteoarthritic pain since the first steps in took in the hall after my surgery. I know osteo and rheumatoid are nothing alike. You might do some internet research on ghrelin and see what you find. Good luck...Kathe

I have ra. Weighing less has helped.. i'm still trying to get it under control. I've had a few steroid shots for the worst flare ups. I'm currently taking about 15 mg of methotrexate once a week, but I'm still having some issues.

Lynda

I am hoping that weighing less will help. Also, have OA in my knees, hips and back so my orthopedic and primary tell me the weight loss will help tremendously.

When I have bad flares I do the 6 day prednisone pack and I take the biologic - Humira injections every other week.

The fatigue is horrible and when I feel sorry for myself, food can be my drug o'choice.

I was sleeved 4/12. I have lupis and have been on steroid rollercoaters off and on since '97. This is the main reason i chose to do WLS. How are u doing taking all your meds when you have to sip? My med are making my stomach queezy, but i am doing better. I am 3 days out, mostly i have a feeling in my esophagus of tightness or like thinhs are moy going down easy.

wendyr - I am not sleeved yet. Now looking at probably June.

However, that is a really good question ! I seriously wonder how I will be able to take my meds and sip ?!??? :blink:

I have Lupus and am getting sleeved on Thursday. Was wondering if anyone can give me heads up of what to expect. Because I have lost my insurance I haven't taken my meds for but year. Flare up happen more frequent and it seems I live on Aleve I'm sure less weight will help situation

I was able to take all my smaller pills the day after I came home. We got a pass on taking the calclium the first two weeks. It is the only really big pill I take. I had to take the pills one at a time at first, but I'm back to being able to swallow a handful. I take my ra and bp meds right before bed.

Lynda

Please forgive my drug influenced spelling!! Today was better. I have been taking pills 2 at time with a few min inbetween. Started tylenol yesterday and feel better, not so mush brained! I am lucky no to have to take too many pills (7) and no pain meds, only relafen on a normal basis. I did have to stop cellcept a month before but not feeling too bad with that. I always think when u do something to your body like too much activity, sun, or surgery, wct you take chance of flare-up, but it's worth it. Just follow all rules. I tell myself it's only a temporary situation to get me to a permanent goal! Good luck on thursday, i put you on my prayer list and would like to keep up with all of us auto immuners.

I have RA and am going to be sleeved. I'm on Enbrel, mtx, and sulfasalazine- along with a big list of other meds. Glad to see another RAer here :)

I have ankylosing spondylitis so I can relate. I went off Remicade about 9 weeks ago - it about did me in. The only drug that worked for me was Enbrel, but only for about 10 months, then less and less. I have not really found a drug, other than steroids and pain meds, that make me feel better. But, when I flare, I am desperate to try anything. I am hoping this surgery can keep me from a life of disability. I also tend to medicate with food when I am in pain.

I have autoimmune Urticaria (hives). and I take 7 10 antihistamines a day. On my last allergist visit, she suggested that WLS could possibly "reboot"" my system and the hives may go away. I hope so, I've had them for 14 years. Getting rid of hives and weight loss would be heaven on earth!

I have lupus, sjogrens, and other auto immune diseases and have started my pre op testing for the sleeve. All my Drs say this will help with over all pain.. My concern is how will this affect my medication regimen of 24 pills in the morning and 14 pills at bed time..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using VST

I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. I had to stop the immunosupressive drug Imuran 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after. They started my Lyrica back the second day in the hospital, just open capsules and mixed with apple sauce. I can no longer take Aleve, or prescription Naproxen which helped me alot. Going back to the Rhematologist on Monday. Maybe she can prescribe something simular.

This was the main reason that I decided to have the surgery also. I'm sure the extra weight I carry around would make a healthy person hurt!

Good luck to everyone

i have pernicious anemia which requires b-12 injections monthly. i also have a connective tissue disease. i've been lucky and do not take meds. i'm hoping the weight loss will help keep it this way.