Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting Some More Conversation!

Hi Everybody,

Just wanted to say Hi again, and I'd love to hear about everyone!

I am just under 5'3 and weigh about 188 lbs, +/- 5 lbs on any given day. I've lost and gained so much weight over the years and my body seems to like to stay here. I'm tired of lugging an extra 60 lbs around!! So I'm getting sleeve on June 14th by Dr. Kelly in Mexico.

What's everybody else up to? :)

Hi - I just was approved, and currently weigh 195. I'm not sure when my surgery date will be, but I think this is a great group for Louisiana Girl to have started, I hope it gains some traction. :)

-Kat

I wish more would chime in... sometimes I think I am crazy to be considering this!!!

FindingMyself - You are defintely NOT crazy to consider having the surgery. I thought the same thing. Why can't I just lose on my on. I tried, lost 15 lbs, just to gain it back. I just don't have the will power. I was sleeved on 1/18/12, with 60 lbs to lose. I don't post my weight loss until I go to the doctor. But at this point, three months out, I have lost about 35 lbs. Maybe a little more. I love the sleeve! At this point, I can pretty much eat what I want (a LOT less of it), although I am never hungry (thanks to the sleeve). Of course, you have to follow the doctor's plan and make sure you get in your Protein, fluids, and Vitamins. It feels good to have friends tell you how great you look, and of course there are a few that are concerned that I'm losing too much. He He! I love it!

FindingMyself - You are defintely NOT crazy to consider having the surgery. I thought the same thing. Why can't I just lose on my on. I tried, lost 15 lbs, just to gain it back. I just don't have the will power. I was sleeved on 1/18/12, with 60 lbs to lose. I don't post my weight loss until I go to the doctor. But at this point, three months out, I have lost about 35 lbs. Maybe a little more. I love the sleeve! At this point, I can pretty much eat what I want (a LOT less of it), although I am never hungry (thanks to the sleeve). Of course, you have to follow the doctor's plan and make sure you get in your Protein, fluids, and Vitamins. It feels good to have friends tell you how great you look, and of course there are a few that are concerned that I'm losing too much. He He! I love it!

Oh, Louisiana Girl, that is great to hear! I didn't know what sort of weight loss profile I might get, starting at the lower end of weight to lose, and was trying to be very reasonable in my expectations, as faster weight loss is more likely in those with a lot more to lose, since they're going into a much greater energy deficit than what their body needs.

I should be sleeved in June some time, depending on scheduling, but I need to get some classes done and an ultrasound before they schedule it.

Would you mind sharing your personal recuperation information? There's such a wide range of anecdotal information, from the people going straight back to work to the people taking 4 weeks off work and wishing they'd taken more. I'm hoping the latter is more related to people who have more weight related complications. When were you able to start doing more exercise than just walking? I know everyone's different, and I'll just have to see, but I'm a nut about planning things.

Thanks,

-Kat

Louisiana Girl, I'm a McNeese and LSU grad! And I miss home. :) Yes, I'd like to hear more stories, too. I'm glad I found this group. I've been trying low carb again the last few weeks and I blew it today with Panda Express and it just makes me feel awful! So this is great! Kat we have almost the same exact measurements!!

Louisiana Girl - 35lbs in 3 months is fantastic!!! I would never dream that a person starting out <200lbs would make that much progress that quickly!!!

How long till you were able to go back to your job?

Do you have heartburn?

Do you have trouble with meats such a well done steak that are not moist and tender?

What happens if you eat too much?

Trying to gather all the onfo I can before my May 31st surgery.

Boots in Houston

Way to go ladies! Please post more updates... Eagerly awaiting!

I am also extremely glad that there is finally a group that meets my needs and I can relate to. I feel the same way about being 200lbs and thinking

"am I REALLY going to do this?" But I want it THAT bad. My S/O doesn't want me to go. The closer to the time when I have the $$ the more I think to my self..."I dare you to stop me", FINALLY, I am going to do something for ME! And no one is going to stop me.

He is just afraid of the "mexico" thing, that I might get killed or kidnapped by cartel or some thing. I have been surfing this plan for almost a year and haven't heard anything about people who are going over for WLS getting shot or kidnapped.

I am ready! My plan is to go in March 2013, so if there are other peeps like me, considering the journey...lets chat :)

Hi Kittvalley,

seems as this forum is almost dead, maybe we all can revive it. I'll send a message to moderator. I started this journey this summer but was turned down r/e not "fat" enough. Honestly, my 50 pounds feels like 100 to my self-esteem. I've been a lifelong chubbster and never have known what its like to be normal. I've did IVF in Mexico multiple times and the facility was better than the states. I'm going to Dr Aceves on the 26th of Oct and pray all goes well. There is no hope of me ever being normal without help.

best wishes,

Traci

Hi all,

Sorry I have abandoned this site. Just an update on my personal progress. I am at goal, well..below goal. I could never have gotten to this point if not for my sleeve. This was such a blessing! My cholesterol and blood pressure are all normal. I honestly have not been truly hungry since my surgery. I love not being able to stuff myself...feel almost normal now. But I still have times when I want to eat just to eat, even though I can't eat a whole lot at a time. So, this is where my willpower has to kick in and I have to use the tools I've learned my whole life, and especially during the last eight months. I take my Vitamins every day, take some Protein supplement every day, at meals - eat protein first, take small bites, chew all food slowly, Desserts in moderation.....everything in moderation!! I think I can do this! :)

Hey Louie girl,

do you get concerned about losing to much weight? You look fabulous by the way! Glad both you and shep finally replied...I was starting to wonder :)

I will check back later.

I know this is a big decision for those of us who started under 200, but it was the best decision for me. We are in the middle---we're not terribly overweight, but we're not our normal weight either. But what really hit home for me was when I read that I am obese. OBESE! I guess I didn't think I was as overweight as I was. But it started at 20 lbs, then 30 - 40 - 50, then 60!! Wow, I was obese! It's a big decision, and an extreme one, but well worth it!

Kitt - You will eventually be able to start eating a little more quantity of food than immediately post surgery. The weight loss will slow down and eventually you can maintain the weight you want to be. At 8 months out, I can eat whatever foods I want. Even the ones that got me in this mess. However, the quantities are much, much smaller. I have actually learned what the word moderation means. :) I was worried right after surgery that I would never be able to eat the foods that I love, again. Well, you will. But during this adventure, I have learned that some of the foods I thought I had to have in the past, I don't need them, or even for that matter, love them. Such as fried foods, thick gravies, cakes, etc. Once you have gone through the first few months post surgery, and see that we really can survive on a small amount of food and that you actually like not feeling full all of the time, you develop a new way of eating. However, it is very important that you get in your Protein and Vitamins daily (I drink a smoothie every morning of smoothie King strawberry flavored Gladiator powder (2 scoops=45 gr protein) with strawberries and 1/2 banana, and in the evening I drink GNC Isopure Alpine Punch powder (1 scoop= 25 gr protein) mixed with Diet V8 Splash berry Blend. I literally followed my doctors instructions to a tee for the first 4 months. I never had a problem with vomiting. The only thing that made me nauseous was ready-made Protein Drinks, even mixed with skim milk, specifically Myoplex Light and Muscle Milk Light. Only tried them twice.

Good luck ya'll!!! It is worth it!! We are worth it!!