Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Journey - 1 Year Anniversary

I found that I can see the ebbs and flows of my weight loss (usually attached to the weeks surrounding my time of the month).

So true - TOM is a b****.

So, are you at goal yet? Or do you think you'll lose some more and then start maintaining?

I'm trying to imagine where I'll be at my one year mark, but I cant really think of a 'goal' number. The one on my ticker is really my reach-for-the-moon-you'll-atleast-land-on-a-star goal LOL. I think I need to set a realistic goal for me. My doc says he expects me to come down to 165. But I think I'll be between 175 and 180. Lets see how it goes *fingers crossed*

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am getting sleeved on Monday 4/23 and was looking specifically for someone who is a year out to share their story. Thank you! When I read realistic stories like yours, it strengthens my resolve for a journey I expect to be both challenging and exhilarating. Continued good luck to you (and your children are ADORABLE!)

These are the stories I like to read. I'm just starting out on my journey, and while Im scared at the idea of having surgery, I KNOW its the right thing for me and my kids.

Your story is awesome, inspirational, and heart warming. If I may ask, what was your starting weight and what is it now? Did you have any complications?

Congrats on your success, and happy 1 year surgiversary!!

HI! I was so scared, it's a LIFE CHANGE and it's permanant! My start weight was 210.5, I was hoping to reach the weight I got married at (158), and my goal was to see 155! Pre-surgery I focused on the idea that I was making a life change because continuing to stay as the same was not an option, and the journey of Weight Watchers AGAIN was just another set up to fail and I knew it. I can do WW for 3 weeks really good, then I am just sick of it. I knew that if I did this, I had not choice after the 3 weeks. And yes, I sat there a few months after the surgery and had the conversation with myself that this sucks because I want to eat a big meal and I can't and never will. To tell you the truth, it's a bummer! But I would do this all over again in a heartbeat, it's all a trade-off!. I am currently 143.5 and shocked I surpassed all my hopes. I had no expecations because I didn't know what to expect but knew I wanted to reach at least the weight I was when I got married. As far as complications, I had none. I can't speak for how other people experience their aftersurgery but I can tell you that I drove Mexico myself, drove home myself. The hardest part was the first 3 months. My energy level and feeling well were perfect. The food intake and struggles with what to eat, what I liked and what I could keep down, including quantities, was very trial and error. I threw up a lot the the first 4 months or so, just because I was always a fast eater who didn't take the time to chew, chew, chew and my mind not catching up to my body feeling full while I still had food in my mouth and swallowing it caused a lot of my problems. It just takes time to heal and you have to be patient during that time and know the tolerance increases over time. The other thing that I miss is you can't eat a meal and drink at the same time. Not because "you aren't suppose to" but because your body won't let you. It's very uncomfortable and your stomach gets filled by the liquid and can't intake the food. You are hyperfocused on these things the first 6 months.

The last thing I want to say is my "AHA" moment came a few months ago when some cashier asked to see my driver's license. I handed it to her and as I glanced over I realized I weighed less than the weight on my license said... I smiled the entire day knowing I made the right choice... that was when I knew the surgery had far exceeded my expectations! :)

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded response. I wish you so much goodness on your life change and if you need a surgery support friend, please feel free to write, call or text. One thing I didn't have and still don't is someone I know who has had the same surgery as me. I relied heavily on reading the website forums here for advice and information. Wendy

Wow - I feel like you wrote my story. There is so much I relate to that I could just say DITTO and be done. I'm almost 8 months post-op and I have had the same sort of issues (both good and bad) that you have had. I've never been able to eat very much (seems like I have a super restrictive sleeve) and my most difficult learning curve has been learning how much I can consume. I've always been a fast eater and used to joke about the "chewers". I spent the first 2-3 months throwing up just about every day because I would inevitably screw up one of my meals. But, slow learner that I am, I have finally mastered my intake and feel like every hardship along the way has been worth it.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story. Your smile and your beautiful children's smiles say it all. It's wonderful to be able to relate to someone and to feel their happiness jumping out of the computer screen.

Wow - I feel like you wrote my story. There is so much I relate to that I could just say DITTO and be done. I'm almost 8 months post-op and I have had the same sort of issues (both good and bad) that you have had. I've never been able to eat very much (seems like I have a super restrictive sleeve) and my most difficult learning curve has been learning how much I can consume. I've always been a fast eater and used to joke about the "chewers". I spent the first 2-3 months throwing up just about every day because I would inevitably screw up one of my meals. But, slow learner that I am, I have finally mastered my intake and feel like every hardship along the way has been worth it.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story. Your smile and your beautiful children's smiles say it all. It's wonderful to be able to relate to someone and to feel their happiness jumping out of the computer screen.

Thank you Sara for your kind words, it really touched me! It's actually nice to hear from someone that seems like they have had the same challenges as me. I love that you are close to goal, and my guess is you will fly past your goal and be surprised where you land! I bet you are shocked to see yourself in the mirror... feels great, huh! Wendy

BTW, chewing is overrated! lol....

Oh I am having to learn my lesson with eating fast. I'm so used to it. I'm about 2 1/2 months post op and it is a daily struggle to chew slowly. I have had the foamies/spit ups that come up a few times. I have also eaten a few times to an uncomfortable point and am trying to avoid that at all costs. It's still a learning process for me at this point.

Congratulations, enjoyed reading your story...hope you stick around...I want some vets to help keep me in line down the road and into the furture!

I am posting my "I made it" photo! I am going to weigh the same one year from now, dammit!!! My friends say I shouldn't lose more weight because I will start looking gaunt.... no one has ever told me that before!!! lol..

Thank you everyone for your support, I hope I can give back to inspire those who are thinking about taking the journey, ready to be sleeved and are newly sleeved. It really does get easier and easier..... I had the foamies, the spit ups and the throw ups for the first 4 or 5 months. It seems like it will never end, but I promise you it does!

Starting BMI - 35, today it's 23.9 :)

post-7785-13813658592157_thumb.jpg

Terrific! Congratulations on all your successes!

What an inspirational story! Thank you for sharing it! I am new to the forum and looking at the Gastric Sleeve procedure. Paperwork has been sent, waiting to hear back to see if I am a candidate.