Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. Im new to this site. I live in Nashville Tennessee.

Im 5'5" and 400 pounds. Im on Lisinopril for blood pressure, Lexapro for anxiety, Metformin for Insulin Resistance (thats right before full blown diabetes), I have arthritis in my knees and ankles and trouble getting around, and I suffer from nasty Migraines. I've also been having trouble getting enough breath. I always seem to be panting as if Im out of breath, even when I dont do anything.

I just moved here, but my doctor in Virginia had me on several different things over the last 3 years. Alli, Sensa, Atkins, low calorie/low fat diet, and nothing worked. I use to be able to drop 20-30 pounds over the course of several months (although it always came back) but in the last year I havent been able to lose anything.

I'm wondering if Tennessee medicaid will cover the VSG surgery if my new doctor recommends it. I cant afford to pay out of pocket, but I'm ready, determined, and excited to get on this weightloss journey. I have 2 kids that I want to be around for.

I've done sooooo much research about weight loss surgery and the different types and honestly, VSG scares me the least and has me the most excited. I know the surgery is a tool and not a magic cure, but if I can just get this tool I know I can do what it takes to make it work. I want to exercise so bad but I have a hard time walking around the house. Working out is out of the question. I need to lose at least 50 pounds before I can even think about it, but I think the combo of this surgery, a healthy diet, and eventually exercise will be EXACTLY what I need to get where i need to be and stay there.

I cant wait to get to meet you all. Talk to you soon!!

Congratulations on your decision and determination to be healthier! Most of us know the feeling of yo yo dieting and the many other problems that obesity brings so you are in the right place! People here are wonderful and super supportive! I don't know for sure about Medicaid or Medicare but I believe that they do cover geriatric surgery but you have to go through along and difficult process to get it approved. Try typing Medicaid or Medicare on the search option and you might find other peoples previous comments on the topic. You might also want to call them and ask (that would be the best thing to do). After much research I decided the sleeve would be the best option for me too! Good luck and I look forward to seeing your journey!

Hi!! I know I have a long road ahead of me as far as getting the surgery approved. I think that process will be more painful than the actual surgery and recovery ;) Paperwork and red tape dont scare me. My son has autism, so i know ALL about beating down doors for services and insurance approval. I know Tennessee medicaid pays for wls, I just dont know what kind. I really hope vsg is on the approved list because Im to heavy for Lap Band and Gastric Bypass is just to aggressive, to scary, and to out there for me. It doesnt feel right. VSG feels perfect. Its really great to meet you, and I hope I will have some experiences of my own to share soon!!

Hi, I am also new and looking into getting the sleeve. I started at 230lbs but joined the biggest loser club and now im 214. Cant seem to lose anymore and tired of yo yo dieting myself. I live in illinois and am on state medical, they cover it here with doctor approval and with health conditions. I am praying they cover it for me! I only have high cholesterol and some back issues. Good luck with your insurance! Im waiting to hear a responce back on mine.

Hi' date=' I am also new and looking into getting the sleeve. I started at 230lbs but joined the biggest loser club and now im 214. Cant seem to lose anymore and tired of yo yo dieting myself. I live in illinois and am on state medical, they cover it here with doctor approval and with health conditions. I am praying they cover it for me! I only have high cholesterol and some back issues. Good luck with your insurance! Im waiting to hear a responce back on mine.[/quote']

I hope everything works out for you. Good luck!

Thank you! Im scared they wont since im only 214lbs with no major health issues except high cholesterol. Im keeping my fingers crossed! Ive been trying to get below 200 since my mid 20's and i'm now 35. I joined the biggest loser club so I know now how to keep it off if I could just have the help from the sleeve to finally get it off!

If you dont mind me aaking, how long did the whole process take? From the first doc appt to your surgery? What all did you have to do to get approved for it?

I just found out the Amerigroup in Tennessee (medicaid) WILL cover the sleeve!!!! WOOT!!!

I need 6 months of documented medically supervised diet (got it), need to have a bmi of 40 or higher (definitely got it), need at least 2 health issues as a direct result of my obesity (got that and more), need a statement from my doctor saying that they approve of me having the surgery and feel its necessary (got it from my Virginia and getting it from my new doctor soon, I hope), need 5 years of records showing my weight to be morbidly obese (definitely got it), will need to get a cardiac and pulmunary clearance (dont have it yet but hoping to soon), I need to pass a psych eval (dont have one yet but will soon, I hope), and I need a physician referral to a bariatric surgeon (I will get that soon, as well. I hope)

So hopefully I can get the ball rolling really soon!!! I will be going to the Centennial Center for the Treatment of Obesity in Nashville, Tn. They are the only ones that do the surgery and will take medicaid. Ironically, I had my daughter at Centennial hospital 5 1/2 years ago when I lived in Nashville before, and I really liked that hospital. So Im pretty happy all the way around with things.

Congratulations! Best of luck on your journey!

@gonnabeskinny...whats the update now? Did you get the surgery? how has everything been going since last year?

Greetings! I'm 61 years too young and am pre-op. They haven't selected a date yet BUT I am near the end of my long list of "to do's."

A little about me: I have MCTD (Mixed Connective Tissue Disease), w/Lupus, RA. Also, MS, asthma, Diabetes (type 2), FM, Hypothyroidism, Hypertension, and am in a wheelchair with spine problems (7 herniations, at last count). This is to name a few.

Last time I was hospitalized was Nov. 2012 with pneumonia. The year prior had been hospitalized 6 times with pneumonia!! So right now I'm doing GREAT!

Thing is, I have gained a lot of weight just since the last time I was hospitalized. Around 60 lbs. Most of the reason for this is lack of activity due to pain issues and of course, over-eating.

Most of my life, up until 14 years ago when I became ill, was spent as a person with no weight issues. I was extremely active and strong. Had 5 kids, a job and 3 horses and blah, blah, blah. Now I am totally disabled.

Prayers you get the insurance acceptance. Ain't nothing to fear but fear itself.

Am so happy to have found this group! God Bless ALL!!

Always, cloud