Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had any issues with getting health insurance after being sleeved?

My time for "open enrollment" is coming up and I just called BCBS. They automatically deny anyone with a sleeve or RNY. I didn't know that!

Hope I can find a provider for a reasonable rate........ (my health options through my company are lacking)

Don't think they can deny you on Open Enrollment at work can they?

I have never heard of that. They don't ask any questions at all when I choose which insurance I want.

I'm sorry I didn't explain that very well....I'm trying not to go with my employer's options (because they stink).

OH, sorry!

I was told that anything to do with my sleeve, or any complications they can even at a stretch attribute to my sleeve will be denied as a pre-existing condition.... This is an employers plan too! I was already denied for individual coverage before the surgery due to multiple health issues. Gotta love the American healthcare system!

I'm kind of wondering this as well. My health insurance sucks (don't they all?) and barely approved my surgery after originally jerking me around and denying it when they obviously should have been reading their own policy. They always charged me a whole lot more per month because of my weight. In order to have it for less, I need to be under 230 (which I am now) and stay there for a year before they even consider lowering my price.

Now that I'm at a more reasonable weight, I'm just thinking about switching companies all together since my deductible sucks and they never file my claims correctly. I'm wondering how insurance companies approach covering people after they've had weight loss surgery.

Has anyone had any issues with getting health insurance after being sleeved?

My time for "open enrollment" is coming up and I just called BCBS. They automatically deny anyone with a sleeve or RNY. I didn't know that!

What? That's crazy. It makes no sense to me. First off, if you've already had the sleeve, then (woo hoo!) they know they won't ever have to pay for that surgery, and secondly, people with diabetes and high cholesterol and a host of other obesity-related problems should be in remission on those if they've had the sleeve ... or soon will be.

The insurance companies are on crack, apparently.

I guess that I will find out soon enough. I have been off work since Nov 2011 and just had to let my cobra coverage lapse as I could not longer to afford paying the premiums. I never thought that I would have this much trouble finding another job in the medical field but alas. I am just startiing at looking into getting a cheaper basic plan through another company. I am not sure how this will affect my getting a plan but will keep you posted. I know that about 5 years ago when I was between jobs I tried to get insurance and I could not due to my weight, blood pressure etc. And now that I am in much better health I am sure that the insurance companies will have another way to screw me over.

I wonder if the bariatric docs could offer some insight? I will contact mine in the morning and see what they say!

Lemme explain... I have insurance through my employer; however I am a contractor. The three options (last year) that we had was $400 a month for 150K+ coverage or two options that covered an annual amount of 15K total. After I had a leak and an abscess after my sleeve, I thought I was gonna "be smart" and find an individual plan to get this fiscal year for my insurance (open enrollment starts next week I think).

Well so far, I am appalled at the American HealthCare System myself. Cookies said it right, these ppl must be smoking crack. You wouldn't insure someone 230+ with health conditions but if you have been sleeved or have had gastric bypass, to some underwriters, that's an AUTOMATIC denial of coverage. Now that I am off of my high cholesterol medication and etc, you won't even consider me? How's that make sense?

I can understand 'preexisting condition' should I end up with a gallbladder removal or something (I don't know the likelihood in numbers, but seems I've read that before).... but automatic no way Jose you are a bad candidate because I paid, out of my own pocket, for an elective surgery that has put me in better health long term????

So I can get quotes alllll day long, but in the end, who will give me a policy with a premium that I can afford that will give me better coverage than that of 15K a year?

Y'all we SERIOUSLY need an overhaul of this system. I could write on this for days..... but thank you all for your responses. And Pookey if you find out anything from your dr, pls tell me and us. I just wanted y'all to be aware..... this can happen to you (and I sho hope it don't).

And Iowa Andy, just get a job and don't worry... it sounds like as long as I accept the insurance through my employer, I'm fine (the underwriters then don't see my medical history, I'm just "part of a group"... sad right?)

Hugs to you all! xoxo