Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Do You Wait Between Drinking?

According to my instructions I am only suppose drink in 1/2 cup increments. My question is how long do you wait before drinking your next 1/2 cup?

As tollerated...no limits! drink drink drink....Only limit later is 30 min before and after solid meals

I can drink Water, crystal light, etc pretty much none stop it passes so quickly if you are taking small drinks

I can drink water' date=' crystal light, etc pretty much none stop it passes so quickly if you are taking small drinks[/quote']

ii wondered the same thing. i feel hungry and wonder if im being overly slow/cautious? and what happened to 'you wont be hungry' anyhow? id like some strained mushroom Soup i think but need to call doc to see if thats 'allowed'. just think id feel more satisfied w somethong thick/warm... Protein shake separated and got all foamy when in microwave.

Ya, if you're stomach is empty-- drink as quickly as is tolerated. Your stomach will let you know if you've gone too fast. At your stage...that might not be very fast. If you get a minimum of 1 oz every 15 minutes for every hour you're awake, you should get all of your liquids in. You can probably go faster than that.

ii wondered the same thing. i feel hungry and wonder if im being overly slow/cautious? and what happened to 'you wont be hungry' anyhow? id like some strained mushroom Soup i think but need to call doc to see if thats 'allowed'. just think id feel more satisfied w somethong thick/warm... Protein shake separated and got all foamy when in microwave.

Warming up the Protein isn't good it changes the texture... are you using Protein powder? If so mix it in a blender with a tablespoon of sugar free pudding mix, it will thicken up nicely, I also add in yogurt or Peanut Butter.

most likely next week or the week after is when you can have the strained cream Soups

Drink as much as you can tolerate. You will learn the limits of your sleeve. You're probably in the full liquid phase of your diet so all liquids count towards your daily requirement. My latest craze is apple juice and I'm drinking it like crazy. Since you aren' eating solids yet you don't have to worry about any 30 minutes before or after eating limitations on Fluid intake. Don't dehydrate...it is no fun.

I just answered this question (similar) in another thread:

Do not worry, as time goes on it will get a lot easier to get your Water in. In the mean time here's what I did for the first few months post op to ensure I was getting all my Water in: I would fill up 4 - 16 Oz bottles full of water every early morning. I would then make sure I was getting One down every few hours. First bottle by 9AM, Second by Noon, Third by 3 PM then the last by 6 PM. That's 64 Oz of water which is sufficient until you can fit more in.

Also, I do know that if my water was too cold I couldn't get it down easily. Make it cool temperature, this seemed to helped me a lot.

All the best and welcome to the losers bench!!

Thank you. Very helpful. I wasn't sure if I had to wait 20 or 30 minutes until my stomach emptyed before going for the next 4 oz. Was concerned about streching out my stomach.

Thank you. Very helpful. I wasn't sure if I had to wait 20 or 30 minutes until my stomach emptyed before going for the next 4 oz. Was concerned about streching out my stomach.

You won't trust me. Your sleeve will only open up from being swollen due to surgery. I'm going on 2 years out after this summer and my capacity is still quite tight. Believe me when I tell you, I love to eat and a lot!! If anyone on this website were capable of stretching out their sleeve, it would be me... but to date I haven't. :lol:

In a generic sense, your stomach contracts to grind & move its contents about every 20 seconds. Since liquids don't need to be ground up, they tend to pretty much flow through. So in a stomach with normal gastric function, liquids could clear about every 20 seconds, but may take a few more contractions. They will clear your pylorus as they arrive there. Make sense? :)

In a generic sense, your stomach contracts to grind & move its contents about every 20 seconds. Since liquids don't need to be ground up, they tend to pretty much flow through. So in a stomach with normal gastric function, liquids could clear about every 20 seconds, but may take a few more contractions. They will clear your pylorus as they arrive there. Make sense? :)

So could this theory be the reason behind why I still have hunger here and there? Maybe when I get to more solid textures and my stomach has to do more to deal with it, the satisfaction will last a tad longer. ???