Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Else Feel This Way?

First off, let me say how truly blessed I was to have had the VSG. I am morbidly obese and I know this has saved my life. My parents even paid 10,000 out of pocket for me to have this surgery. I know that God had his hand in all of it and I am so grateful. Ok, I had the VSG done last Thursday, March 29th. The surgery went great. I was released to go home the next evening. I was in some pain but not much. The pain from gas bothered me the most (and still does some). But since I have been home I felt depressed and not myself. I am usually the person who people come to for encouragment and Im always positive. My faith gets me along way. And although my faith has not been shaken...I kinda regret having this done. I MISS FOOD! I feel hungry! My family eats dinner and I feel so sad that I cannot eat. WHAT IS GOING ON IN MY MIND?? I have looked forward to having this surgery for so long but now all I want to do is eat. I know its in my head but Im stronger than this. It's not like me to feel this way!! It's weird! I had a follow-up with my surgeon today and he said this will all go away and in a couple of weeks I will feel better! Anyone else feeling this way??

First off let me say welcome!

I would have to say that what you are feeling is normal,I think everyone on this board has felt the same way you do.I had mine done on the 20th of March,I just went back to work this past Sunday.I know this might be hard to do ,but maybe not hang out with the family while they eat.go for a walk,or if you can go for a drive.

By The Way,hope you are okay after all the tornados

I feel you. But, there comes a point when you have tried all the foods you want to try and they make you sick. Then food becomes such a turn off. THEN the work begins. You have to find a balance; eat nutritious foods...and WANT to eat them.

OOHHH food is stupid and it holds you captive!! I hate it!!! And I love it. It's made me feel good and it's made me feel bad. More often than not, it's made me feel bad. I'm SICK OF IT!!! I just wanted to get to the point where food is just something that keeps me alive, and I'm almost to that point. You need to get there with me!! See the future. Don't see what you can't eat now. See how you will feel and look. While you're sitting with your family eating your dainty little portion of food, you can feel superior to those who are gorging out and are going to feel horrible later! (evil laugh here...) Once you can start eating food again (It WILL happen, I promise!) You can enjoy most of the things you did before, just in much smaller quantities. (And in low fat, sugar free versions.;) You can still taste delicious things. You just can't dive headfirst into the bowl. ;) You can do it! WE can do it!!

I have been sleeved since 3/12/12 and I have gone though some of these moments. The most recent being yesterday after my 5th time opening the fridge and thinking I can't eat anything in here WHY AM I DOING THIS! I was stressed (kids home on spring break and being BAD) Then I had a moment ahh this is why I ate and I ate to much to make me 278lbs. So then I thought I need to find something to do to fix this issue(s) that is turning me to food. I haven't come up with much yet except for once I am able to (after healing) I am going to wake up an hour before everyone else in my house and do Yoga or Palaties something for just me and a stress reliver.

Yeah...I think we all have felt like that. A little depressed that we can't eat what everyone else is eating. This is a strong feeling immediatly after surgery up until you can start eating solids again. I know it's a real feeling and I don't want to diminish that, but really the hunger you are feeling is head hunger. Part of us deciding to do this surgery is to help us change our lifestyles. Most of us (not all) were addicted to food. I never thought I was, but I know I was now. We get depressed because food where we went for our comfort. Now we don't have that. We have to find something to replace it. Some people choose to exercise. Some choose athletics. Some choose riding motercycles or sewing or quilting or cleaning or...you get the idea. Replace that void with something you enjoy. It is depressing now, but I promise it will pass. Stay open someone you can talk to. This place is a great place for encouragement too. Prayin' for ya.

Hope you are okay from all of the tornadoes. I work right by the airport and the Arlington tornado was heading right for us before it died down. My car didn't do so good. Two weeks old and has golfball sized divots all over from the hail. :( Oh well. We are safe!

Completely normal, it willl soon pass. It takes a huge commitment and you can do this. I felt the same way and I feel great now. Keep your head up, welcome to the losers bench! :D

Yep, honey.....SO normal. We all went through that and had to 'mourn' our food and the way we used to eat. Mine hit a lot harder than I thought it would. I was REALLY surprised with how bad it messed with me, actually....thought I was prepared and ready. But, no, took about three months for it to go away, still there a little bit, but not NEAR what it was in the beginning. And it wasn't that strong for three months, it slowly diminishes. It will get better, Sweets, for sure. eh first couple months are pretty rough with all the physical healing we need to do, and also the emotional upheaval and mourning we need to go through! It's quite a life-changer, but you will come out on the other side so happy you did this!

Thank you everyone! It's so good to know that I dont need to feel ashamed of the feelings that I am having. Just knowing that it does get better helps. On a positive note...I have lost 17 lbs since I started my pre-op liquids! :) Also, thanks for the concern with the tornado's yesterday. The big one hit 2 miles east of my home. I drove by the devastation earlier and it's so sad. My church is doing alot of the volunteer work and I just wish I could join them. Dont think I would be much help since I am 6 days post op. Prayers greatley appreciated! Thanks all and good luck!! God bless us all!

I glad you posted this topic. I am so depressed. It is scary cause I am not a depressed upset person normally. I have been lately though. I'll cry and regret what I did :( I am glad to know now that others are feeling the same feelings I am, and that I am normal. Good luck to you :) the feelings will pass, just with it would hurry.

This is such an AMAZING forum!!! EVERY TIME I have a question, concern, or problem, I have been able to find answers and support. I am so grateful and thankful to have y'all on "my side". I am 7 days post-op and I was feeling weepy and moody. Sunday was the hardest day for me. My cute hubby even sat me down and asked what he could do. He said I was acting very depressed and sad. Funny thing was I wasn't paying attention. I was moody and depressed. I am doing MUCH better. I know it has to do with food. I feel miserable not being able to eat. I am looking forward to real food I can chew! Tonight I went out for a drive to drop some books off at the library. It felt so nice to feel the freedom of being able to drive. I have been off pain meds since Saturday, so I know they are out of my system. Tomorrow is my first dr. appt. I am looking forward to the scale there. It weighs different than home. Hopefully it will be good! Good Luck ALL of you and God bless you! :D

Hey, I was sleeved exactly a month before you (Feb 29) and went through the EXACT same thing. I was actually surprised by how hard it hit me because I thought that I'd prepared really well (read books on the subject, gone to forums such as this one, etc.). But I think that for all of us, food has been such a major part of our life for so long that it would be strange not to mourn. At this point, this issue doesn't bother me at all - on the contrary, my appetite is actually smaller than it was a few weeks ago, I think. So don't worry - this is absolutely normal and will pass.