Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I was sleeved on 2/29 in the Dominican republic and after surgery I had a pain in my left shoulder that lasted 8 days. Well now again, I start getting the pain and it has been a week already. I'm a little worried this might be a leak! Did anyone experience this and it wasn't a leak!

Please help!

I think you better get this looked at...please dont wait talk to your doctor...when you are better let us know how things went...praying for you.

I had my surgery 3/27 I had more pain in my left shoulder than any where else! They told me it was gas pain and I could have it for weeks! Its feels right in the joint. I'm not sure if that's the same pain u have tho! Hope it gets better!

I had my surgery 3/27 I had more pain in my left shoulder than any where else! They told me it was gas pain and I could have it for weeks! Its feels right in the joint. I'm not sure if that's the same pain u have tho! Hope it gets better!

I had my surgery on 3/27 also ! I also had more pain in my left shoulder than the surgery! It went away today! I did a lot of walking the past two days.

The reason there is pain in the left shoulder is because the gas puts pressure on a nerve that causes the pain in the shoulder! This is why walking helps, it helps you get rid of the gas!

But any new or recurring pain - I'd definitely give my dr a call.

Wondering how you are doing Mdejesus?

Ladies thank you for all the support! I contacted my doctor and be said the same exact thing you said! I have been taking it easy and he prescribed some medication which is making me feel much better!

As reassuring as it is to know that we are all in this 'left shoulder boat' I am concerned about it.

It had all but subsided after day 4 and the day (day 6) that I had my drain removed, it came searing back at that very moment. I'll try to walk more and I'm keeping up with the Tylenol and ice pack but, wow, does it hurt. Same exact place that you've described (in the joint). Maybe the drain being pulled out somehow 'reactivated' the nerve irritation that had subsided??

Any thoughts or support would be appreciated, Amy :o)

hi i am having this same nasty sharp pain in my left shoulder joint. it was more general at first and had actually subsided by day 4 . on day 6 i had my drain removed and it literally was at that moment that i had searing pain in the shoulder joint return and it hasnt stopped. the pain wakes me up.... when did you finally get relief from ur shoulder pain? thanks amy

I'm 3 weeks out today and i still get it if I eat too much, or if I eat something my sleeve doesn't like. Also if I drink too fast, or something too cold, or I need to burp... LOL If I pay attention to it, it will start to hurt slightly right before I hit the "I'm too full, please kill me" line. I still have no sense of fullness in my stomach itself so it's my only lightning rod against eating too much.

I'm 3 weeks out today and i still get it if I eat too much' date=' or if I eat something my sleeve doesn't like. Also if I drink too fast, or something too cold, or I need to burp... LOL If I pay attention to it, it will start to hurt slightly right before I hit the "I'm too full, please kill me" line. I still have no sense of fullness in my stomach itself so it's my only lightning rod against eating too much.[/quote']

thanks for ur response. i spoke w docs office and they were concerned that it had gone away and then came back after drain removal ... had told me if it contd that i needed to get in asap but luckily it seems to be ( knock wood) completely gone now....whew. its good to know i can maybe count on it as an indicator of fullness sometime :o) tx again amy

Here's an explanation of this I've posted previously:

Yes - your abdomen is filled with carbon dioxide to create a "cavity" to work in. The CO2 irritates the end of the phrenic nerve in your abdomen (near the diaphragm IIRC) and most likely causes a referred pain toward the other end near the shoulder (actually terminating on the sides of the neck, which is why you might also feel something similar to a "pinched nerve" along with the shoulder pain).

Gas-X is ingested and is not going to have any effect on surgical gas at all. It is completely ineffective outside of your intestinal tract. If it does seem to act on the surgical gas/pain, it is 100% a placebo effect.

Taking Gas-X for surgical gas pain is like putting a band-aid on your knee because your spleen is bleeding.

Here's an explanation of this I've posted previously:

I understood this from my doctor's explanantion in the hospital as well as the descriptions online, both in this site and others.

My concern, and the concern of my doctor's office when I called, was that it HAD subsided, and then came back(severely) at the very moment she removed the drain. They were concerned and told me if it continued or worsened at all to get to the er as it may indicate that the drain had scraped something and they feared a leakage was occurring.

I am aware of the gas and that it's outside the actual 'stomach gas' issues that gas-x can solve. Nothing was helping which is why I was seeking some advice a few days ago. Worth sharing so someone doesn't mistakenly assume that it's just 'normal' and may indicate more trouble if it's returned or worsening.

Thanks, Amy

If it helps, the information wasn't posted as a direct response to you. :)

If it helps, the information wasn't posted as a direct response to you. :)

sorry-it's been a rough day all around. didn't mean to be so sharp in my response. have a good day.