Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, this is my first time actually posting on this site. I'm so nervous and worried about me not loosing enough weight. firs there was a mix up. My primary dr. told me i weighed 359 before surgery. then my NUT told me i was only 342. but i'm sure i had gained weight since i had last seen her. but when i went for my check up. she told me i had only lost 19 pounds at a month and half. and she said i've should've lost about 31 pounds by now. Now i'm two months and i'm scared to weigh myself because i don't want to be disappointed. I see other people losing 70, 80, 90 pounds by their second month and i dont know whats going on. I was in tears yesterday watching a youtuber talk about how much weight they lost at 10 weeks and reflecting on my own. Can anyone help me with a solution? to speed up my weight loss?

Hi

I am a slow loser too. I lost quite a bit of weight pre-op and since the op I lost about 2lb a week on average and I am happy with that, my skin will have time to adapt and it gives my head time to catch up with the changes in my body. I would suggest you stop looking at what other people are losing and focuss on how to maximise your own loss and stay healthy. After all it isn't a race (as most people on this forum will tell you!). There is no overall finishing line and time to get there. The only line worth concentrating on is the one in your head. I aim to keep up with my Vitamins and healthly eating, exercise and keep to my 2lb a week until I get there. Once I am there, I will concentrate on staying there as healthily as possible. I congratulate others on their amazingly fast weight loss but it isn't for me. Trying to get fast results got me in a lot of trouble in the past as I put everything back on and more!

Good luck

Do NOT worry about what other people are losing. You will sabotage your emotional health that way. You are going to lose if you follow your plan. It is nearly guaranteed.

I do not look at other people's weight loss anymore because I know I am going to hit goal regardless. This is not about pounds it is about percentages.

If I am aiming for a normal BMI like my PCP wants, I am 87% of the way to goal.

If I am aiming for my goal, I have lost 75% of my excess weight. That is over 112 lbs, and 72 was after surgery 7 months ago.

I average 10 lbs a month. That seems small in comparison to some of the big numbers others lose, but this is perfect for me and I know I can look at my percentages to see where I am at. I only have 17 lbs until I am at a normal BMI, and 37 until I am at my goal. I totally think I can lose that in 5 months for my 1 year sleeve anniversary.

The formula for percentage of excess weight:

(Highest weight-Current weight)/(Highest weight-Goal Weight)

I am happy that this questioned has been asked and appreciate the responses. . I too am a slow loser. I was prior to surgery and apparently always will be. I lost about 20lbs the first two months of surgery and about a 1 lb a week over the last 4 weeks, but I know that inches are disappearing and slow weight loss is better for you. I also had lost weight prior to surgery and although my surgeon says that you have to count that, it's difficult to tell those that ask how much weight you've lost, the real truth. I want to say just what I've lost since surgery.

Overall it is disappointing when you come in here and or have friends who have had bypass surgery and the weight just fell off. I went into the Dec. sleevers group and the lowest weight loss I could find compared to my was still 21 lbs more!

It's just a psychological issue. I worry that I will hit a wall early on and never lose any more. I actually would like to know if slow losers end up losing for a longer period of time, or do they seem to stop at a year as well (the one year mark my DR suggested) .

Have a great day everyone!!

I'm only about 1 1/2 weeks out, but I have only lost 8 lbs. I'm worried too. But I know that it is impossible to at so little forever and not lose. I just have to be patient...

My weight loss has slowed down, but it is still happening. I know that I lost very quickly to start with and then it has just seemed to creep along...a pound at a time. But, the changes in my body once I slowed down have been phenomenal! I've lost 3 sizes in the last month and developed muscles in places that never had muscle before.

Stick to your plan, 70 grams of Protein and 64 oz of Water. The weight will come off. You have to realize this is not a sprint; it's a marathon. If you follow the plan and add exercise as you're able to do it, the weight will come off.

Take some measurements now, and measure yourself regularly. Watch those inches come off even if the weight loss is at a stand still. Look for the NSV's. Can you do more? Cross your legs? Climb a flight of stairs without being winded? All of these things will point to your improved health.

Most of all, be patient and enjoy the journey. You will get there! :)

Hi im new here...i get how you feel!!! i am 12 days post op and i have lost 23 lbs....untill today i weighed and i have gained a lbs!!!! i am sick! how does anyone who has had this done gain weight? All i have been eating is yogurt and lil meat baby food. Protien shakes. I do have trouble getting the Water in. I just dont know what to do....i think i will go bacl to all liquid diet....but feel weak as it is....just dont know what to do now!

I dont know how to label myself -- slow or average? I mean, when I lose, I lose soooo quick. Like just after TOM, I lost more than 5 lbs in that week alone. Then it just stoped. Nothing for the next three weeks. It happened to me the last two months. Need to check if this is still true this month.

My doc says that 8 to 10 lbs a month is a good amount for the second and third months. So I would not really know if my 11 lbs the second month was just a fluke or if I'm really an average loser (and not slow) till my 3 month post-op is complete *shrug*

U will loose it weight. Like others have said, this is not a race It us a marathon. Sit back and take a deep breath and be thankful for receiving this wonderful tool. U will be getting compliments from people about ur weight loss because ur losing inches.... This is a time to Celebrate healthy eating and better health! Rock that sleeve! ;)

I too, have different weight starting points with different Drs. My Surgeon's office has me at 267 but that was from my first appointment back in September 2011 and I was 268 at my last weigh in at the office before my surgery. That was the Friday before my Monday surgery. Then, at the hospital, after one day of fasting I was in the 250s! Go figure...

I count my weight from 268 which is my highest. If you were 359 before surgery then you're down the 19 your NUT has PLUS the 17 she's not taking into consideration - that's 36lbs! Fantastic!!

You are doing great...dont worry! We cannot compare ourselves to anyone else, we are all sooo different. The slower you lose, they less hangy skin, that is the way I look at it! I have been at 210 for the last week almost and yes, I do wonder why I havent lost some more but I am not stressing about it. I have been doing some weight training at the gym so that is probably muscle weight. I think stress can sabotage weight loss too. I figure any weight loss is the step in the right direction. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! :D

Thanks so much!!! My mind tells me to just take it day by day....i weigh every day....but im not going to any more...once a week i think will do. I need a new game plan but i have no idea where to start. I know i need more water...i havent been able to do very much as far as working out because my stomach is still sore and i get very wore out so quick...need to walk more...

My next door neighbor had this surgery 5.5 months ago. She rarely weighs herself--about once a month. She said that weighing more than once a month is setting herself up for possible disappointment. I plan to do the same after my surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

man dont get down on your self its good set high goals but every one loses differently i was 438 pre op 418 day of surgery i basically lost 120 in thirteen months i got really down on my self for not being at my first goal of being under 300 pounds after a year. i ate horribly thru holidays though i kept up my excersise routine and got refocused after the first of year i actually gained 1 pound over those two months not bad for as bad as i ate. three months later im down forty more pounds to 279 my goal is 245 my highschool football weigth i should do that easily by my two year anniversary actually im glad ive lost the weight a little slower as ive had none of the negatives of loseing weight to fast my muscle has actually increased because of the weightlifting my skin has stayed pretty tight for the amount of weight ive lost im down 159 34 to go hang in there bro just stay the course excesise get your Protein Water in stay away from starchy carbs you will get there

Thanks everyone! i needed the support because i was starting to lose my mind for a second. I'm going to focus on exercising and eating right because that is the important thing! actually my NUT told me that i have to get 90-100 grams of Protein in for my height and weight. Which is making it even more stressful. but i know that i can do it!