Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Out And A Little Scared

I just got back from the hospital this afternoon. So far, I'm not experiencing a lot of reflux or nausea after eating. Of course, I'm only eating a couple of ounces of full liquids every once in awhile. My largest incision is very sore and tender. I'm also experiencing a pain in my chest. The doctors say the pain is not my heart but my being full. He explained that this pain will go away later but right now my esophogus is very swollen and every bit of intake SLOOOOWLY moves into my stomach.

While reading the forums I'm remembering things such as, "no sugar added" foods and not to eat while drinking.

Am I supposed to be following these rules right now? I can't eat yogurt and take in some Water? Or is this rule only for those who have advanced to real food?

I'm really sick of feeling so awful. I am not sure I made the right decision. Their were others in the hospital who got to go home sooner after their weight loss surgeries.

The pain is pretty bad. The meds they gave me wear off too quickly. Also, my daughters birthday party was today, my husband served hotdogs and hamburgers and of course cake was involved. I didn't eat a bite. But I sooo wanted it. I heard I can get really really sick if I don't stick with my doctors plan. Did anybody else crave food so soon after surgery?

Thanks for any adivce you are willing to give.

Cynthia

I had a lot a chest pain the first few days from the gas pumped in.

I wasn't cleared for yogurt until 2 weeks out but I don't even eat the stuff, however I do mix it in my Protein Shakes. I will take a sip of Protein then a sip of Water.< /p>

I hope your doctor started you on an acid reducer. You are having head hunger issues, but the acid reducer will help with the discomfort when you drink. I had a lot of left shoulder pain post op. Turns out that I was drinking too much too fast and the pain was referred to my shoulder because my sleeve was too numb to tell me it was hurting.

It will get better. The pre-op diet, then the first couple of weeks post-op are the toughest time in all of this. In a few weeks you won't remember all of this until some other new post-op posts that they are having the same problems you had. :)

(((Hugs)))

I hope you feel better. Sometimes gas rises up to your chest and will cause major discomformt .. i know this for a fact because my cousin had the exact same symptoms .. so yes it is normal and it will go away.

I strongly recommend you walk longer and more frequently to help with this pain.

You are still only 3 days out and everyone deals with the outcome of the surgery differently.

Never eat and drink at the same time because it will cause you severe discomfort.

Don't worry all the pain will go away and you will be having NSV's which will make you glad you've done the surgery :)

Good luck !

Thanks so much for your input. My doctor prescribed a powered form of Nexium which i'm supposed to reconstitute in Water and drink. I'm scared to death of taking a liquid medication. During my hospital stay they prescribed liquid Loratab, I threw up immediately after swallowing it. The pain was incredible. If the Nexium has the same chemical taste, I will throw up again. I also have Nexium in capsule form...I'm supposed to take them after I take all of the liquid Nexium. I'm thinking of skipping the liquid and simply taking the capsules. He allows me to take Tylenol 3 in pill form, and they go down fine.

Should I try the liquid Nexium? Should I go straight to the capsules???

I'm so afraid of throwing up again.

Cynthia

I would not take the nexium in pill form yet...ask ur dr. I am 5 days out and I had the same problems as you...GAS. The best thing for gas is to WALK. It does get better each day.

It will get better. I thought I was going to die during day 2. My plan was to spend one night at the hospital but was glad I went home on day 3. I suffered from gas, Constipation, and I had a cough from a cold I was getting over and the cough got worse and it was a deep cough. I irritated some muscle around my large incision. Through it all....there were no regrets.