Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Comments People Make About Weight Loss Surgery

Hi Everybody!

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people share their stories of someone they knew that had weight loss surgery. They always say - the person lost all their weight and then gained it all back - and more.

This scares the heck out of me to hear this!

Do you guys know of any studies that have been done in regards to the sleeve....and the long term success? Do you know of anyone who had the sleeve and lost all their weight and then gained it all back?

I am assuming that the people are talking about the bi-pass....Do you think the sleeve has a better success rate?

Do people who have the bi-pass still feel hungry? I just wonder how they are able to put all the weight back on and then some.

ANY thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Heather

I think with any surgery you can gain wait back. The only thing with the best numbers in regards to weight gain is the DS. I haven't heard anyone gaining all their weight back, but I mean if you stretch out your sleeve or your pouch, and you eat crap it will happen. If a person hasn't learned to eat right within the eighteen to twenty four months, then it can start to come back on. My friend gained about forty pounds back, and she had the RNY. Thing is she gained that back after about nine years of her surgery, still gaining alot at any date post op sucks. Thing is she doesn't eat that great all the time.

I'm always wondering about the stigma attached to WLS and "gaining it back" because people do WW, Atkins, etc and "gain it back" and it doesn't seem to have the same negativity attached. The beauty of WLS is that you always have the tool to use to lose the weight. And, I think WLS makes us more aware of what we must do to lose the weight and to maintain the weight loss. I wonder if there's ever been a comparison study to see who keeps the majority of the weight off longer: those who have WLS and those who use other WLS programs.

I'm always wondering about the stigma attached to WLS and "gaining it back" because people do WW, Atkins, etc and "gain it back" and it doesn't seem to have the same negativity attached. The beauty of WLS is that you always have the tool to use to lose the weight. And, I think WLS makes us more aware of what we must do to lose the weight and to maintain the weight loss. I wonder if there's ever been a comparison study to see who keeps the majority of the weight off longer: those who have WLS and those who use other WLS programs.

Yeah, Lissa - one of the things that was really comforting to me was when one of my doctors said off-handedly, "Well you'll always be able to take advantage of this." Even if I slip into old patterns, I still always have the opportunity to make good choices and get back on track - AND have it be effective instead of a seemingly impossible uphill battle that it felt like before WLS.

Man, when I gained my weight back I felt bad. I think I would feel just as equally bad if I did after WLS. However I feel I'd be able to bounce back faster because I don't think there is any way the sleeve can stretch back to the size of my old tummy. I may be wrong.

I was told that statistically, 20% of people who have WLS will gain back what they lost within the first 5 years... but that means 80% keep it off! With just diet & exercise 99% gain back what they lost and only 1% keeps it off. Yes, WLS is not 100%, but the odds of success are so much better! Some people have to dwell on the negatives.

A client came in to our office the other day. She had WLS and has kept if all off after 9 years. That definitely mae my day. :)