Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Treadmill Instructions From My Doctor!

I am 15 weeks out and had a follow-up today with my awesome doctor. I told him I thought i was losing too slowly. He said I wasn't. I told him i was doing my treadmill 30 min. a day and the days I didn't do that. I walked. He said to try this to get the body fat to melt off before I see him again:

Get on the treadmill at 2 mph. for 1 minute. Then increase to 3 mph. for 5 min. Then increase to 4 mph. for 1 min. Then repeat 6 more times for a total of 35 min. He said this would work with no incline, but if you want to try an incline, it will work even better. He said when he sees me in a month, I should be down at least 10 or more lbs. if I do this at least 5 days a week!

Maybe this will help break a stall for some of you! Can't hurt to try!

Hmm, sounds interesting!! I wish my doctor was more hands on like that! LOL. Our talks go like this "everything good? - yup - okay" Seriously, neither one of us are very talkative. I suppose if I brought up stuff he wouldn't be rude or opposed to talking about it, but I dunno. I will say my first appointment with him he asked if I had any questions and I literally handed him a printed page with ALL of my questions, he went through them one by one... so maybe I should give him more credit.

Good luck! I wish I had a treadmill so I could try this as well :)

This sounds like a running program that I was enrolled in several years when training for a 10K race......it was called a fartlik run. That was when I was younger and my knees and feet would support. We would job at a slow pace for a block, then speed it up for the next block and then run as fast as we could for the 3rd block.....then back to the slow jog and repeating. This does build indurance and stamina. I know that this will increase your heart rate and thus burn more calories. This makes perfect sense to me. I might just have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing

That's exactly what he told me. It would give me a better cardio workout and build endurance as well as burning fat quicker!

I am 15 weeks out and had a follow-up today with my awesome doctor. I told him I thought i was losing too slowly. He said I wasn't. I told him i was doing my treadmill 30 min. a day and the days I didn't do that. I walked. He said to try this to get the body fat to melt off before I see him again:

Get on the treadmill at 2 mph. for 1 minute. Then increase to 3 mph. for 5 min. Then increase to 4 mph. for 1 min. Then repeat 6 more times for a total of 35 min. He said this would work with no incline' date=' but if you want to try an incline, it will work even better. He said when he sees me in a month, I should be down at least 10 or more lbs. if I do this at least 5 days a week!

Maybe this will help break a stall for some of you! Can't hurt to try![/quote']

There's a setting on the treadmill called weightloss or interval that does the samething your doctor is advising for you

Awesome!! Thanks for the info!!

There's a setting on the treadmill called weightloss or interval that does the samething your doctor is advising for you

I'll have to check it out. I have a NordicTrack.

I have a Nordic Track. I have been doing the 40 min. 400 calorie program. It's under the calorie option, I believe. After doing it for a few weeks I have found that I needed to increase the speed / incline to be more challenging, but I still enjoy it, nonetheless. It has been really helpful in building endurance. I could barely jog for 1/4 mile without feeling like I was going to keel over before. : ( I am not signed up for any marathons, YET, but I hope to be in the near future.... I also did notice that my weight dropped more consistently when I started doing this program. I try to alternate exercise routines, too. One day I will run, and the next day I do the interval training. Best of luck to you! I hope that you enjoy this setting as much as I have!

When I was using the treadmill on a regular basis, I started with a slow jog and once I could manage 30 mins I started to do the interval thing too. I found it really effective for my fitness and endurance. Defo worth doing. I love the fact that your surgeon is giving you fitness advise. Mine just said, move more and eat less...lol!

That's basically interval training which is VERY beneficial because your bodys movement is never at a constant pace so it makes it harder for your body to adapt to the exercise. Thus in the end your constantly losing weight... Gd job doc!