Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Folks Who Have Had Complications

I am so sorry to read this. Did she develop a resistant pneumonia? Was this her first surgery? This happened in Brazil? Please accept my condolences. :(

I am so sorry to read this. Did she develop a resistant pneumonia? Was this her first surgery? This happened in Brazil? Please accept my condolences. :(

I think She had a C-Section before. Yes she developed a pneumonia. Yes that happened in the 3rd city in Brazil (7 million people). The doctor was the one that made mine VSG (he already did 500 of them). The surgery is self-paid and cost 14.000usd down here, in the best hospital of the city.

Thank you.

I am very sorry. Prayers are with you and your family.

Leak, caused by scar tissue.

how was the leak fixed? can you explain more details. thats my fear too because i used to have a band

You can add me to your list as well: Portal Vein Thrombosis (blood clot), discovered 10 days post op.

You can add me to your list as well: Portal Vein Thrombosis (blood clot), discovered 10 days post op.

You mentioned you did Lovenox pre and post op....did you do lovenox injections 14 days post op?

14 days of Lovenox is not standard of surgical care per ASMBS protocol, only 72 hours, which is what my surgeon followed.

It should be noted that studies point out that Lovenox is more of a direct factor in preventing DVT than in preventing PVT. The portal vein is a rare place for a clot, simply by virtue of the volume of blood that it transports, as opposed to legs (common DVT location), which transports a smaller fraction of that amount.

My mother-in-law's port was placed in her portal vein and it was completely constricted...She had to sit up to sleep or she would swell up like a pumpkin head...eventually, her body created collateral veins to take over the function of the PV. Anyway, sorry you had such a rough time and am glad you are here to tell the tale. Is there anything that can prevent such an occurrence? A friend of mine's brother had gastric bypass and six months later he had an abcess. So not sure why some things occur so far out from date of surgery, unless he possibly had a small leak that presented no symptoms until he formed a large abcess. I am not really sure what happened to him. Thanks for letting us know about your complications. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

BTW, I ate Soup whenever we went out, either potato or broccoli and cheese...or mashed potatoes or mashed up potato. If it had any bacon or anything, I would pick that out. Also, saltines were a lifesaver for me during the mushy stage...two saltines with cream of chicken Soup, or any kind of broth on top of the saltines. meat is a lot harder to digest. However, I have made taco meat with Beans and cheese and a little guacamole. It is actually pretty good.

hey everyone! im #18 on this list with a leak. i personally would NOT have surgery again if i had to do it all over again. it was traumatic & devestating & stressful. everyone who i thought was a friend, wasnt! i have horror stories for days!

but to make it short & sweet, i dont regret surgery. i regret the complications. if i could take the good with no bad, id do it again but everything runs a risk and the risk for me was just too great

Great thread. I have an open thread on another topic but this would be a great place for the question as well. I have insurance coverage but the copay is about the same amount as the self pay in Mexico without all the hoops to jump through. I have some concern that if there are complications with a out of country surgery that my insurance would not cover them once I am home. You hear this a lot but no one has actually said it happened to them. Can anyone here address whether they had problems with coverage if needed for complications. My PCP will follow me without any question so only concerned with insurance coverage. Thanks.

if the copay is the same price as mexico, id do the copay! even tho here u have to jump thru hoops, those hoops r to make sure that u r physically & mentally prepared for whats in store for u.

Great thread. I have an open thread on another topic but this would be a great place for the question as well. I have insurance coverage but the copay is about the same amount as the self pay in Mexico without all the hoops to jump through. I have some concern that if there are complications with a out of country surgery that my insurance would not cover them once I am home. You hear this a lot but no one has actually said it happened to them. Can anyone here address whether they had problems with coverage if needed for complications. My PCP will follow me without any question so only concerned with insurance coverage. Thanks.

One thing to consider is that if (God forbid) you did have a complication, would you be paying that copay in the form of deductibles and out of pocket expenses? Not to paint a gloomy picture but if the surgery will satisfy your OOP maximum, it might be worth it to have the procedure done locally. Just a thought.

I would use the insurance. The 6 months of weigh ins are a great tool to get yourself ready for the change of eating habits. I have heard that many people who do not do the entire program are not as successful.

I would also like to hear some real-life experience with this. Has anyone gone through this?