Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Folks Who Have Had Complications

Ola,

Sorry to hear of your family loss. Did she have surgery in Belo Horizonte?

A Smile

Prada.

Wondering if there is anyone out there that has maintained their ideal weight loss for over 20 years after vertical banding and now needs surgery for scar tissue making it impossible to eat anything but liquids. I discussed with my primary doctor and we both felt at this point just reversing the band was the option to take. Then when I met with the surgeon he told me with the amount of scar tissue I have that was all but impossible. He is ready to do Gastric By-Pass and my insurance has already approved it, but it scares me to death. The surgeon also mentioned Vertical Sleeve but said there are no long term results and that also scares me. Overall I am in great health, very active, and honestly either surgery scares me with the possibility of more weight loss. I has surgery in 1988 at a weight of 237, I reached my ideal weight of 135 after about one year and have maintained all this time. I am 5'6" and currently weigh 128. Anyone know anything about this your input would be appreciated have another appointment with surgeon Sept 20, 2012, I have to do something because I can't eat hardly at all. Thank You. Sandy

'

Interesting topic.

I am a newbie who just had a consultation with a bariatric Center of Excellence surgeon. He said that COE practices had to have a much better than average record of complications to earn this honor.

He was upfront with his track record....no leaks in 2000 sleeve surgeries and no DVT clots. One fatality, portal thrombosis. He says his biggest concern is clotting. He makes you get blood-thinner shots for 5 days prior to surgery. He also has you get an ultrasound of the legs to look for clots before the surgery. He says he double stitches the area that gets stapled to ensure it remains leak-free. From all i know this could be the standard thing tall surgeons do but i thought i would mention it so we could compare notes.

He also recommended I consider the RnY surgery because he performs these in a less drastic way than most surgeons by bypassing less of the digestive tract and therefore less risk of vit/min deficiency problems.

I still want the sleeve. I am a determined to make it work and IMO it seems to be the best option for the least complications while getting the most hunger control.

Carol from az

I'm an eroded gastric band survivor trying to be sleeved. I have been following sleeve forums for the past year and have compiled a list of folks and the complications they had.

[*]Sandyd – infection from surgery (Reno) (VS Talk)

[*]MeMeMEEE – leak (twice) (VS Talk)

[*]Driver63 – leak

[*]Tiffykins – leak (band revision)

[*]Hansi – stomach ruptured

[*]Dishdiva – leaks (Mexico)

[*]YellowRose – infected incision (Mexico) & drain tube infection

[*]DivaDee84 – Infected incision (Mexico) leak (still @ seven months)

[*]Honeyrubybee – splenic infarction

[*]TKDBlackbelt15 (fiancee) – leak

[*]Rblessed – leak

[*]Jen Jen – leak (Mexico)

[*]Ladiesassie – nicked liver (didn’t follow pre-op diet)

[*]Moore37042 – leak

[*]Jagator88 – leak & esophagus was destroyed and had to be rebuilt from muscle (Mexico)

[*]Jsfound – leak (VS Talk)

[*]Leisa815 – leak (VS Talk)

[*]Jasleeve – leak

[*]Joesph – leak Kuwait

[*]Peachqueen – leak

[*]Jcarelle – leak

[*]Jerseygirl74 – leak & spleen infarct

[*]Happylife – stricture (had a stent like a leak)

[*]Kookia – leak

Even with the complications' date=' I think most of the above had said they would do it again.[/quote']

I also had a leak which caused problems with almost every organ during my month long stay at the hospital . I even became diabetic from the TPN feedings through the PICC line ( oh the irony , since I never had problems in that department before and it's a big reason a lot of people get the surgery ) I was treated with a stent, which was hell, but so grateful to be alive .

Would I do it again ? I don't think so, at least not at this point. Not because I am not pleased with my results ( have lost almost 70 lbs in three months, only 30 more to go) but because it was devastating to my family. They still get choked up when talking about it and fear that it could happen again . They almost lost me and I carry so much guilt for the pain I caused them .

Interesting topic.

I am a newbie who just had a consultation with a bariatric Center of Excellence surgeon. He said that COE practices had to have a much better than average record of complications to earn this honor.

He was upfront with his track record....no leaks in 2000 sleeve surgeries and no DVT clots. One fatality, portal thrombosis. He says his biggest concern is clotting. He makes you get blood-thinner shots for 5 days prior to surgery. He also has you get an ultrasound of the legs to look for clots before the surgery. He says he double stitches the area that gets stapled to ensure it remains leak-free. From all i know this could be the standard thing tall surgeons do but i thought i would mention it so we could compare notes.

He also recommended I consider the RnY surgery because he performs these in a less drastic way than most surgeons by bypassing less of the digestive tract and therefore less risk of vit/min deficiency problems.

I still want the sleeve. I am a determined to make it work and IMO it seems to be the best option for the least complications while getting the most hunger control.

Carol from az

I think that all sounds pretty standard. My insurance would only cover the surgery if done at a COE. My surgeon didn't have me do the injections pre-op, but he did have a sonogram of my legs done to make sure I didn't have any issues with my veins. If I did have a problem, I may have had to do them before surgery. As it was, I did them for 10 days after surgery and had another sonogram done of my legs one week post-op. If I still had my gallbladder, they would to an ultrasound on it at six months.

If you really want the sleeve, I would push for it. Personally, I think it's the best option. My nephew's wife had the bypass done in March and I was sleeved in August. She's lost 65 pounds and I've lost 68. Of course, she's much shorter than me so that is a variable but I saw how much she was eating over the holidays and I don't think it bodes well for her long term success. Hopefully, the sleeve will continue to give me good restriction for the long term.

And by the way, my daughter has a friend that just had her gallbladder removed and has been admitted to the hospital twice with complications. So it can happen from any procedure. You just have to trust that your surgeon is the best possible one for your procedure and pay attention to any warning signs your body gives you.

Good luck!

No one has mentioned the name of surgeons. Would anyone like to share who their surgeon was and where they had surgery?

I would be curious to know which doctors in Mexico were tied to the patients with the leaks.

I would be too!! I know I went with Dr. Garcia and NO COMPLICATIONS!! But i know there are "some" doctors that practice out of strip mall clinics and i would NEVER go to them for this surgery...Dr. Garcia uses Oasis of Hope Hospital/Florence Health is the barriatric floor and i would do it over again in a HEART BEAT!! Best care EVER!!

Hey I was pretty sure I would be on the list....5 months in the hospital due to complications from sleeve surgery.

Oh well! :(

I'm an eroded gastric band survivor trying to be sleeved. I have been following sleeve forums for the past year and have compiled a list of folks and the complications they had.

1. Sandyd – infection from surgery (Reno) (VS Talk)
  2. MeMeMEEE – leak (twice) (VS Talk)
  3. Driver63 – leak
  4. Tiffykins – leak (band revision)
  5. Hansi – stomach ruptured
  6. Dishdiva – leaks (Mexico)
  7. YellowRose – infected incision (Mexico) & drain tube infection
  8. DivaDee84 – Infected incision (Mexico) leak (still @ seven months)
  9. Honeyrubybee – splenic infarction
  10. TKDBlackbelt15 (fiancee) – leak
  11. Rblessed – leak
  12. Jen Jen – leak (Mexico)
  13. Ladiesassie – nicked liver (didn’t follow pre-op diet)
  14. Moore37042 – leak
  15. Jagator88 – leak & esophagus was destroyed and had to be rebuilt from muscle (Mexico)
  16. Jsfound – leak (VS Talk)
  17. Leisa815 – leak (VS Talk)
  18. Jasleeve – leak
  19. Joesph – leak Kuwait
  20. Peachqueen – leak
  21. Jcarelle – leak
  22. Jerseygirl74 – leak & spleen infarct
  23. Happylife – stricture (had a stent like a leak)
  24. Kookia – leak

Even with the complications, I think most of the above had said they would do it again.

one year ago today I was sleeved in TJ.!!! severe complications at home- then admitted for 7 weeks inpt with a multitude of problems. still have a jejeujostomy (feeding tube) but getting better each day. hope to return to work (RN) at san quentin state prison on 8-12-13! lets see how it goes......(subclinical leak, splenic infarct, hosp. acquired pneumonia, abcess on spleen to my liver, empenyma,etc. but here I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leak survivor

I had the sleeve and threw up from day 3 to 5 1/2 months out. I was unable to take Protein or Vitamins for awhile. Gained heartburn from the surgery and had talk of having a surgery to correct the severe acid reflux/ heart burn. I would do it all again tomorrow though. My advice research your dr!! I love my surgeon, I went out if town for mine. My friends sister did her sleeve in town and stayed in the hospital for 4 months following. Had 3 icy stays, pneumonia, 46 units of blood given and had to have her stomach removed! She had to eat through a tube only liquids and ended up loosing her life. She left behind a husband and 2 small children...... Research your doctor!

I had the sleeve and threw up from day 3 to 5 1/2 months out. I was unable to take Protein or Vitamins for awhile. Gained heartburn from the surgery and had talk of having a surgery to correct the severe acid reflux/ heart burn. I would do it all again tomorrow though. My advice research your dr!! I love my surgeon, I went out if town for mine. My friends sister did her sleeve in town and stayed in the hospital for 4 months following. Had 3 icy stays, pneumonia, 46 units of blood given and had to have her stomach removed! She had to eat through a tube only liquids and ended up loosing her life. She left behind a husband and 2 small children...... Research your doctor!

That is just horrible...I am so sorry that your friend has suffered so much for the sleeve. We all know that death is a risk we take with all surgeries..But it does strike a huge blow when it happens to someone we know....My heart goes out to your friend....

I was sleeved 7-24-12. had severe complications including splenic infart, abcesses on liver and spleen, hosp. acquired pneumonia, got septic. chest tube, drains, pleural effusion - 7 weeks in hospital. i know i am forgetting some other issues. I still have a j tube for feeding but keep trying food per my doctors. BUT YES, I would do it again. needed to lose 65# +/-. I feel terrible that i made my family worry. that is the regret. dr reyes - jeruselum hosp - TJ. The complication postings are not meant to scare anyone, just to provide information so you can make the best choice for yourself. I am lucky to be alive and i try not to dwell on what happened. I am moving on - and i know each day i will get better!!!