Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you so much for your post

I am getting ready to have my sleeve done in 2weeks. So ready!

Hello all,

I new to this and I'm so CONFUSED and very UNDECISIVE! I've changed my mind twice already. I started the process 2 times for the gastric sleeve, but chicken out. I'm so afraid that I will not be committed after I've had the surgery and that I will regain weight, which will make me more depressed than I already am. I'm also afraid that things will not be the same for me and my family. We like to go out to eat, be spontaneous and just got for it. I'm worried about loose skin. I'm a 6'1" dude weighing 280lbs and I've have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. Can someone help me with these fears?

@Ravi Welcome to the forum, Taking this journey is a very personal decision. I would suggest do your research 1st especially if you are having doubts. You want to be comfortable with you choice. I am scheduled for later this month. The closer I get to the date the more comfortable I am.

I did the research, I asked the questions. Because I wanted to be sure about what I was doing.

This is a great website and there are lots members who have great insight and know what you are going through. I hope this helps you some . Good luck on your journey!! When and if you are ready you will know!

@Ravi... Ha! I just posted almost the same thing you did...I'm about to chicken out too. But, I think it's better to be hesitant and truly sure about wanting surgery, than rushing into it hoping for a quick fix. I know a lot of people who did the latter and have failed miserably after surgery. They were not prepared for the changes, and fell back into old habits. It's a lifetime commitment if you want long term success, so we need to be fully prepared for a different life. It's certainly not the "easy way out" that people seem to think it is...it's a lot of hard of hard work and sacrifice. I have nothing but respect for people who have chosen this path!

Edited by iwanttofitin

Someone told me that when they take out part of your stomach that they are also removing the hormone that makes you hungry. Is this true?

No I'm fine. I don't want to chicken out. But I do look at it like this.

It took me a long time to think. And do this. I'm also getting older and its harder to lose weight. I'm also going through menopause. food and no control got me here. And I won't miss the food so much. After the surgery. It will be lovely not to be ruled by my cravings.

@@Scarlett72, they do cut it out, but you'll still crave. I pretty much always crave Chinese food, and I give in, luckily I can only eat a few bites and I'm good. Right now I'm hungry and craving perogies. I never really stopped craving food, the difference is I'm not obsessed with food any longer. You can eat what you want, just really small portions, and you can control it. I talk to everyone that had surgery on the same day I did, and we all still crave certain foods, and it's okay as it doesn't rule your life any longer. I thought losing my relationship with food would kill me, but I haven't lost anything but the ability to eat more than everyone I'm sitting with. Good luck!

Thank you for this great post and summary!

Thank you @@Cody's mom and @@polly3!

HELP!! I received my pre-op from BeLiteWeight, and I'm totally confused. My coordinator is Joyce and every time I ask her a question I feel like I'm bothering her. She's honestly making me feel like this is a bad idea, paying so much money and I'm not getting any information.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Hi,

I am a young 60 sommething who is planning to have the surgery in late January. I am currently at 345 lbs and 5'6" tall. I am blessed in that I do have controlled hypertension and beginning arthritis of the knees but all else is well,. I definitley am going forward but I have to say I am a bit frightened of the procedure and what I will need in emotional strength to make this successful for me. I want to dance again,....any support will be great. Sunshine 69

What a wonderful post! Bravo!