Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week Out

Tomorrow is 1 week since my VSG (3/19). I didn't have any particular expectations about how I'd feel at this point. From reading lots of discussion groups and blogs, it's clear that there is no "average" recovery process. What I'm experiencing is: my incisions are about 80% better than the day after, and my stomach is sending very confusing signals. I feel about as hungry as if I was only taking in around 500 calories/day, which I am! I thought I wouldn't have any appetite, so that's pretty disappointing. Some VSG people had great hunger early on, and it eased up eventually. I feel the worst in the morning. My first few sips of Water in the morning cause some mild cramping. Other than that, if I take all eating and drinking very, very slowly I don't have any cramping. I've taken it easy all week, and tomorrow I have to go back to work. I have a bit of trepidation about making it through an entire day without a nap. I've been sleeping about 10-12 hours/day.

I'm interested to hear about other people's experiences. Best of luck in your recovery!

I hate to give advise as I had my surgery after you did (3/23) but are you sure your hunger is hunger and not acid? Are you taking a ppi like nexium, Prilosec, etc? I have read that a lot on here what feels like hunger is just the extra acid in your stomach but the pills help kill that feeling. I'm not hungry at all and am on a ppi. Good lick to you as you return to work!

That is interesting the doctor order me a pill for acid I have not had any acid issues yet but I think I will start taking them to ensure I want later. As far as feeling hurgry I am not, matter of fact I have to remind myself to eat to ensure I am getting all of the Protein I need for the day. I too don't feel I can offer you any advice I just had my VSg on 3/29, you are probably pass any of the challenges I am having.

Also I am glad to see other starting conversation up this forum. Keep up the communication.

With a week under my belt and today I get these staples out I am feeling really good. I went walking yesterday with some friends and my DH. Easter celebration was beautiful and what surprised me the most was that with all of the candy around me I was not tempted at all. I didn't expect that to be the thing I craved because I was never a big candy eater. But yesterday a freind of minds was having a serious craving with all of the candy. Her craving was so strong that she resorted to begging from the kids to get the candy she desired. Her VSG was over a year ago. Really strange how the mind plays it games, in addition she also went to McD's to get a chocolate shake and some fries. I know this is not the way we are suppose to eat to maintain our weight and I told her if she continue eating like this her weight will be back on her. She told me that she exercises everyday and she a easily drop her weight down if she wants. I said ok and left her do her.

Now, I have been sticking to my diet and only eating the things the doctor suggested. My question is that I have been losing weight almost everyday. This morning I notice that I have not lost a pound. Is this what you guy were talking about the stall or is this just a little stall? So far I have lost 26 pounds, I wanted to loss 30 before my staples were removed. My goal is to loss about 15 pounds a month after the first intial 30 pounds. With would put me at my goal weight around the month of September. Is my goal reasonable or a stretch?

Thanks, Mrs. Riene, for your replies and insights. I stopped posting because I developed a leak and abscess 1 week post-op, and I didn't feel up to sharing about it yet. I was re-admitted twice - at 7 days and again at 14 days post-op. I'm home now, still healing. I haven't had any food or liquid by mouth since March 24th. I'm getting all my nutrition from a TPN - a bag that pumps liquid nutrition into me while I'm sleeping - through a PICC line in a vein. I have a drain installed through my upper abdomen that goes to the abscess to remove stuff - we won't go there. I'm going to have an upper GI later this week, and we'll be able to see how much progress the abscess is making in healing. Then I suppose we'll have some idea of how much longer this will go on. My doctor has been absolutely terrific. She calls me every Wednesday, sees me every Friday, and is available for questions all the time. I know this was not her fault. She has done so many of these surgeries. I'm just one of the 1 - 2% of people this happens to.

I'll tell you one thing - I am SO grateful my health insurance paid for the surgery. I keep thinking about all the people who either don't have insurance or it wouldn't pay for their WLS. They would go bankrupt if this happened to them!

I am healing, and I will be all better (and a LOT thinner) soon. Cheers!

Thanks, Mrs. Riene, for your replies and insights. I stopped posting because I developed a leak and abscess 1 week post-op, and I didn't feel up to sharing about it yet. I was re-admitted twice - at 7 days and again at 14 days post-op. I'm home now, still healing. I haven't had any food or liquid by mouth since March 24th. I'm getting all my nutrition from a TPN - a bag that pumps liquid nutrition into me while I'm sleeping - through a PICC line in a vein. I have a drain installed through my upper abdomen that goes to the abscess to remove stuff - we won't go there. I'm going to have an upper GI later this week, and we'll be able to see how much progress the abscess is making in healing. Then I suppose we'll have some idea of how much longer this will go on. My doctor has been absolutely terrific. She calls me every Wednesday, sees me every Friday, and is available for questions all the time. I know this was not her fault. She has done so many of these surgeries. I'm just one of the 1 - 2% of people this happens to.

I'll tell you one thing - I am SO grateful my health insurance paid for the surgery. I keep thinking about all the people who either don't have insurance or it wouldn't pay for their WLS. They would go bankrupt if this happened to them!

I am healing, and I will be all better (and a LOT thinner) soon. Cheers!

drumonkey23 I am glad to hear you are healing, just take it slow and heal right. As someone told me after I had a major surgery, you only have one time to heal and to heal correctly after any surgery. So take it easy and make sure you are getting all of your Vitamins, Protein and liquid in.