Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Been Sleeved!

Sign in to follow this  

I was sleeved 1/25/12 and have been doing great my surgery lasted an hour I was walking that same night and the next day I was wearing my own clothes having the nurses asking if I was a patient here.. LOL (I did have to stay on the ICU floor due to no room on the other floor)..

I hit ONDERLAND in February then I was in a stall for 2.5 weeks.. My weight finally moved a lb and I am hoping my stall is OVER!! I am 190lbs, as of this morning. I started off at 235lbs.

HeatherF,

Congratulations on your weight loss, sounds like you are doing great! I had my band removed in September 2011 and I'm looking at getting the VSG procedure. Since Tricare does not cover it I'm looking into an MTF. Do you have any recommendations and where did you have your surgery done?

Ginger I am not sure where you are located but I am in Orange Park Florida and go to Doctors at NAS JAX and the Band is one surgery they do not do there (i believe).. My VSG was covered at NAS JAX

WOW...that is awesome news and good information to know. How many VSG's has your surgeon done? Any complaints? Would you have done anything differently? Did the facility seem state of the art?

I have a good relationship with my civilian surgeon and I'm terrified of going to an MTF. There are no do over's with this procedure.

How are you feeling these days any regrets?

Well I just spoke with a nurse named Nassari and she informed me that JAX will not take out of area patients. I'm only 4hours away and I could make it happen if they only cared enough to work with me. So now to work on the next two options of Fort Jackson and Fort Gordon.

Gingersnap,

Can I ask why are you are afraid of the military side of medicine? After 25 years in the military I find that doctors/health care providers are very professional and caring. They don't want to lose patients or give shoddy/sloppy care because we are military or military family members. They are just as professional as civilian care providers in state of the art facilities. My surgery was done here at JBLM and my surgeon was a COL Rush, he did 100's of GS surgeries and has never lost a patient. Tricare will provide the procedure if you are close to an MTF, if you are hesitant of military medicine then I recommend self paying. Many GS patients have went to Mexico to get the procedure done. Good Luck on your journey.

I think MTF medical staff are all great and talented people and good at what they do everyday. But what I am looking for in a surgeon is hard to come by in the military. I'm NOT looking for just a talented and skilled general surgeon I'm looking for a surgeon that has done hundreds of VSG's and has dealt with every situation out there and specializes in WLS and in revisions. I want a team of WLS surgery staff dedicated solely to their WLS patients.

Revisions carry a higher risk and I was just turned away this morning from an MTF because they don't want revision patients. It is scary enough to deal with surgery let alone have your choice's limited. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that civilian doctors are better options for WLS or there wouldn't be so many people wanting Tricare Prime to approve it. They would all be lining up to get to an MTF. Even my own PCM said that she would rather get the RNY at a civilian clinic than risk getting VSG at an MTF. Let's face it WLS is not typically a military doctor's speciality. It's used as a way to keep their surgical skills sharp or used as a training tool.

Yes, if I want this surgery bad enough I may compromise and use an MTF. But I have the perfect surgeon 20 miles away and I can't use him because Tricare will not cover it. I can afford to self pay but I can't afford the risk if their were a complication.

There are no do over's and I just need it done right once.

Glad to know that you have had great MTF experiences as well as some others in this forum. Who know's maybe I will be delightfully surprised someday!

Again, good luck but I think you will be compromise and use the MTF side of medicine and I hope you have a good experience.

WOW...that is awesome news and good information to know. How many VSG's has your surgeon done? Any complaints? Would you have done anything differently? Did the facility seem state of the art?

I have a good relationship with my civilian surgeon and I'm terrified of going to an MTF. There are no do over's with this procedure.

How are you feeling these days any regrets?

My surgeon is a Captain and I <3 him! My surgery took 1 hour and I was walking the same night after surgery.. I have had no issues other than trying to find a Protein supplement I like.. I have lost about 60lbs since January (25th) and that is without any exercise.. I just returned from a 6 day trip to Jamaica at an all inclusive resort and I had a fabulous time, was comfortable in the airline seats, bus seats walking in my bathing suit on the beach at the resort etc.. If I went on this trip without the surgery I KNOW I would have been miserable.. I had a fabulous time and thank my Doctor everyday for listening to me and accepting me as a WLS candidate.

If you called NAS JAX about surgery you probably talked to the WLS Coordinator/Nurse Mrs. Massari.. She has her moments, I attend the monthly meetings she is in charge of them ...

179lbs

My surgeon is a Captain and I <3 him! My surgery took 1 hour and I was walking the same night after surgery.. I have had no issues other than trying to find a Protein supplement I like.. I have lost about 60lbs since January (25th) and that is without any exercise.. I just returned from a 6 day trip to Jamaica at an all inclusive resort and I had a fabulous time, was comfortable in the airline seats, bus seats walking in my bathing suit on the beach at the resort etc.. If I went on this trip without the surgery I KNOW I would have been miserable.. I had a fabulous time and thank my Doctor everyday for listening to me and accepting me as a WLS candidate.

If you called NAS JAX about surgery you probably talked to the WLS Coordinator/Nurse Mrs. Massari.. She has her moments, I attend the monthly meetings she is in charge of them ...

179lbs

I called JAX and they would not consider me as a patient...they don't want revisions and 4 hours is too far away for them. Disappointing but I think I'm heading in the right direction going to Fort Gordon.