Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1) Gum Chewing And 2) Straws

I am seeking advice/knowledge about the use of gum. I have never been a gum chewer because my mother said it wasn't ladlylike. That may be true. In the past if I put gum in my mouth I automatically swallowed it as to me, food goes in and then gets swallowed. But since my surgery I have found I desire some flavour that gum could provide and suddenly I seem very able to chew, chew, chew and in huge wads. However I wonder if this is bad for my stomach as I swear that as I chew (and indeed it is not ladylike with my big wads), I feel as if my stomach and bowels are being blown up like a balloon. It feels like air is being pumped directly into them. Is this possible. I had no notes from my surgeon or gp about dangers of gum chewing. Any ideas?

Also, I was instructed not to use a straw. I have a habit of drinking from a cup with a lid and straw and forgot about this cautioning until about two weeks post op and have stopped using a straw since then. However yesterday when I saw my gp at 6 weeks post op she said I wasn't getting enough liquids which is very true and that I should carry around a cup and keep drinking from a straw as often as possible. So what's the story on the straw, yes or no? I was never explained why I shouldn't use one and now not sure why I can use one. I don't want to do anything which might cause my stomach to stretch.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I was told no gum chewing and no straw because it puts air in your stomach which causes gas, pain, etc. I think eventually you can go back to using a straw but not for a while. I am used to walking around with a cup and straw, too. Probably the thing I have to remind myself about the most. A real pain in the neck in the car, too! But not the worst thing that can happen to us.

The nutritionist I spoke to said no gum, ever. When I asked why, she said I might swallow it and become obstructed. I haven't swallowed gum in more than 50 years and figured I wasn't about to start now, so I discarded her advice and chew it occasionally. As for the straw, my surgeon never forbade them so I have used them since 4 days post-op. I burped constantly whether I used a straw or not and the straw helped me to take tiny sips in the early days.

I was not told no gum and I do chew it on occasion because it's the only thing besides Jello and popsicles I can chew until Monday!

I was told no straw and no gum however I always use a straw and I drink more because of it and I chew gum all the time. The reason i was told for the straw was because we suck in too much air, well I don't seem to have an issue with it and with gum, again air was mentioned and the possibility if swallowing it. With gum, I chew one little piece as I always have of Trident original and once it's good and chewed up it just sits in my mouth, almost like a mint until the flavor is gone,then I spit it out. I am not one to smack away at gum because it grosses me out to see it ha.

Who swallows gum? How does one accidently swallow gum? That idea sounds like complete hogwash. I probably was six the last time I chewed gum. I need my gum. So if I have bad breath I'm suppose to have stanky breath? No way. Lol.

chewing gum normally isn't a restriction and its not listed in any research I've did prior to being sleeved nor was it in my 50 page "sleeve manual" my doctor gave me. Now chewing MULTIPLE pieces at one time in big motions...well yea..will make you ingest more air. I don't recommend that. I chew gum all the time...I use it as an appetite suppressant. As for straws...I was told don't use them for 6 months but I do with no problems....

No straw, adds air=pain/discomfort! No gum...I thought I needed it too, but stops u from drinking more and swallowing it will kill you! So just don't chew!

I was under a no straw restriction myself because of the amount of air it supposedly puts in your stomach. However, yesterday I had a drink with a straw and didn't have any problems (I'm 9 days post-op). There were no restrictions on gum from my doc but I don't chew it so I can't help you there.

I hardly ever use straws since most of my drinks are from a large water bottle. Gum for me is a food suppressant. I havent had any in awhile, almost a month ago. I could go hours without food if I have gum, and that may sometimes be a bad thing, but usually I am chewing gum while I am on the road.(OP) Good luck with whatever you choose.

i was told, sugar free gum only, and do not swollow it!

I was also told, no straw's, as it causes air in the tummy. I'm 10 months out, and have been drinking from a straw for many months. I have no discomfort from it, and maybe a little extra gas, but it's managable. If I didn't use a straw, I'd never be able to drink all the Water i need. I DO carry a Water bottle w/ me 24/7 tho...lol

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question.

Straws: It sounds like so many people use them. If the only problem is increased air and burping then the benefits of being able to drink more via straws outweigh the burping. I have not experienced burping anyway.

Gum: It also sounds like we are able to chew it. I guess I shouldn't try such big wads of gum. I should be more mature! I guess all those years of not chewing it has made me a bit silly. I always was told that I was weird in that I would automatically swallow my gum. Now I will be sure NOT to do so. I won't be cracking it either!

I am just relieved to receive these answers as my big concern was not air but that the air would enlarge the size of my stomach by stretching it. If this is not the case then I feel relieved to know that I can use straws and chew gum. Hoorah. I don't really want too many restrictions. Giving up some of my favourite unhealthy treats is enough for now!

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question.

Straws: It sounds like so many people use them. If the only problem is increased air and burping then the benefits of being able to drink more via straws outweigh the burping. I have not experienced burping anyway.

Gum: It also sounds like we are able to chew it. I guess I shouldn't try such big wads of gum. I should be more mature! I guess all those years of not chewing it has made me a bit silly. I always was told that I was weird in that I would automatically swallow my gum. Now I will be sure NOT to do so. I won't be cracking it either!

I am just relieved to receive these answers as my big concern was not air but that the air would enlarge the size of my stomach by stretching it. If this is not the case then I feel relieved to know that I can use straws and chew gum. Hoorah. I don't really want too many restrictions. Giving up some of my favourite unhealthy treats is enough for now!

I know right?! How much gum pieces are you eating? Lol. Reminds me of the days of the GIANT sour balls. I only chew trident. Sugarfree is the only gum I buy. I've been chewing gum for YEARS! A great treat for me when I want something sweet and helps me avoid actually eating something sweet. Also great when cooking. Keeps your finger out of the pot. Lol.

hi

,My dr told me (yesterday) when we talked about acid,that chewing gum is great for lowering the acid in the stomach as the saliva is alkaline....I have never heard about this so this is an interesting topic for me...doc said chew,chew,chew the gum.

xxo