Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Morning Tightness... How to cope...

Ok, so I asked for it. I am tight. WAY too tight in the AM, and then I don't know when to try to eat. Just had a horrible PBing episode after trying to eat lunch (refried Beans at 1 o'clock). And drinking coffee now to try and soothe the sore tummy. But in a few more hours I will be WIDE open!!!! CRAZY!!!!

How do you cope with morning tightness and then not overdoing it at night? I get so hungry when I finally open up!

Can you lose weight doing mushies/liquids in the AM and normal at night?

Yes, you can lose weight, if you make the right choices when you CAN eat solids. I lived on Atkins shakes or Protein Bars for Breakfast for the first year or so. It may have taken me a half hour or more to get the Protein Bar down, but I would just eat it til it was dissolved and at least I knew I was kick starting my metabolism by taking something in. The Protein bars helped make sure I was getting in the necessary protein. This is where your views on what you NEED and what you WANT begin to make changes in your eating habits. Remember, it's sustinence now, not necessarily enjoyment we so often want to derive from the foods we eat. Drink warms liquids in the morning, first to help open you up a bit. With this type of restriction, if you make the right choices in the evening, you will soon begin to see the weight fall off. But, please, if you cannot get in your required daily liquids and the necessary protein, you may need to have a slight unfill. Good luck!

I have heard that the reason why people are to tight in the morning is because they have eaten to much and to late at night. It is suggested that you tough it out at night by eating very little and then you will be loser in the morning. Plus I would think you'd lose faster if you eat more in the morning and at lunch time.

Good luck

leatha g you sound so much like me, you are the first on here that i have heard mention the Atkins shakes. I love those. and i have them first thing when I get up they get me going, and I schedule my eating as I can tolerate it, but always high Protein and low carb, I don't lose weight every week, but it does drop, I have lost 122 in 13 months. I have had only 3 fills the first 2 were weeks apart then one 6 months later, I was considering another but I felt so much restriction the other day I second guessed it. Good luck poodles, just be persistent and the weight will drop.

I have so much restriction in the mornings I can't/wont drink anything before 10:00 and don't try to eat anything til 11:30 or 12:00. I don't agree with sunsett, because my husband (he's also banded) and I eat the same dinner and he usually has a snack of some sort, where I don't and he gets up and has either a slimfast or Atkins shake first thing. I just think everyone is different. I've never been a breakfast person, nor have I ever been a big drinker of any kind, but now that I can't drink Water, coffee, tea in the mornings thats when I want to drink! I've heard that Hot Drinks will help open the band in the morinings, but that didn't work for me either. Best of luck to you!

Adapt with all the strength and willpower you possess...

A message I have on my fridge. Sure is hard to adapt when you don't know what this stupid things is going to do from one day to another.

Today I have only been able to keep down mushies/liquids. Have had issues with anything remotely solid. I think I am going to stay on liquids only for a few days and see if I am swollen. Daily PB's are not a good thing...

I had problems of tightness in the morning and not being able to get my morning meds down. Someone recommended hot tea...Works great! I make me a large cup of hot green tea when I first get up in the morning. I sip on it, take my meds with it, finish it off, then drink my Low Carb Slim Fast. Thirty minutes later I eat my oatmeal.< /p>

I have very bad morning restriction and I can only sip on tea or coffee. I never eat too much or late at night. After my 3 fill it gave me that type of restriction everyday. I eat lunch at 12 or later and it usually consist of weight watcher and i can not even eat over 8oz. sometimes 4-6. I eat a healthy snack or a small salad later in the day. Usually at night I am still full from my snack. I can get Warm tea and coffee down, no more than 4 oz but i can not drink cold liquids at all in the morning because it will come up. Good luck, I had to get used to not being able to eat in the am.

I usually drink hot cranberry/prune juicein the am....really hot and this helps soothe things. Around 10am I can have a cheesestick.....it takes me about 1/2 an hour to get it in (take bites between patients). By lunch I can have a thick Soup w/ chunks in it usually....somedays I can't. By supper I can eat 1/2 cup of food.....I don't eat after supper and it doesn't change my morning!!

Hope this helps....

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -74lbs :huggie:

My husband very gently reminded me that the purpose of the band is to restrict what we eat... no matter what time of day it is.

I told him I understood that, but that with one bite it creates pain in the am. Luckily he says that he will pay for whatever shake I need for breakfast. (I think he likes me.)

Today I have had only liquids/mushies. Little bit of pain with Beans, so I blended them up. Glad I am not the only one with this issue. Nice to be "normal". ;)

Try warm beverages in the morning (tea, coffee, etc). For some folks that seems to open the band.

Just go with the flow. Eat your solids when you open and mushies/liquids when you're tight. It comes to calories in and calories out when you are losing weight.

You are doing just fine...Shawn