Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carnie Wilson - 2Nd Wls - Gastric Bypass To Lapband? Huh?

There is also a newer procedure I'm that they go down your throat and "tighten up"(make smaller) the pouch that you get from bypass, I would think this would be a very simple outpatient surgery, and a more viable option than the lap band. It is perplexing to think that with her money, she would be able to put herself in better hands, that would give her more sensible answers

I feel sorry for her. You know we always think if I was rich I could have a personal trainer or hire a chef to cook healthy for me etc. But here she is, still struggling. Granted it was 12 years ago. I hope she finds the long term success she is looking for. But most likely it won't come from the lapband.

OMGOSH I just found this out and posted a new topic on this! WOW! I didn't know they could do this...

StomaphyX seems to be the up and coming new "it" for 2nd generation WLSers. There is also another one getting buzz called the Transoral ROSE. Neither of these are well-known yet. But with RNY being the "gold standard" for WLS and it's crazy high regain stats, well let's just say I would not hesitate to direct some of my retirement portfolio over to the companies who are working on revisional techniques. :)

Tried to link you to a page with more info, but links to the site aren't allowed here.. Must be a competitor referral business or something. Just google "stomaphyx transoral rose" and you'll find more info.

HTH

I have seen a lot of band over bypass surgeons in Mexico. It is more common than you think. I am not a big fan of the lap band, BUT I've seen it work for some people. Maybe it will help out Carnie. Portion Control is obviously her problem. I, too, have heard of stomaphy X and I would think that it would be getting popular for GBP patients who have regained a lot of weight.

Carnie's surgeon, Dr. Billy, is one of the best in the country and also put in my lap band four years ago. He's also the same surgeon that took mine out last week and put in the sleeve for me. He just appeared on "The Doctors" on CBS with her so it is no secret who her surgeon was.

I am absolutely sure that Dr. Billy explained all her options to her. He's really a great guy and an excellent surgeon. She would have had to choose what she wanted, and it seems like no one can tell her what to do.

I personally would not have chosen the lap band after all the problems that I had with it, but maybe she decided that was the best option for her. I don't know. It has been successful for some people anyway. It just wasn't for me. I think we'll be hearing about the removal of Carnie's lap band in a few years when she gets tired of hurling.

http://doctorsofweightloss.com/carnie-wilson-lap-band-surgery-7301

Forgot to mention that she is now a spokesperson for Allergan, the type of band that she has, and so maybe that was a factor in her decision. She's getting paid to wear it and talk about it.

Edited to add: Here's the link to the doctor's show: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/videolib/init You have to click on her three clips to see the videos.

Apparent she is doing a reality show and the surgery is going to be addressed. As far as money I don't think she has as much as you'd think. I just hope this is some ratings thing.

Maybe I am a little sensitive to the subject because my mom had the bypass & has gained back quite a bit of her weight but - judge not lest ye be judged. Until you have walked a day in someone's shoes you can't fully understand what they have gone thru.

I think that folks that have lost a lot of weight might judge out of fear of relapse themselves. I know that I lost over a hundred pounds on three different occasions with WW, and I felt judged by someone every day since. I particularly beat myself up because I didn't have success with the lapband, either, so, for some reason, misery loves company.. They have not walked in her shoes, they are just trying to pursuade themselves not to.

I am having a day of self-doubt, and I am really hoping Carnie will do well with the band. I am actually a little fearful for her since I have not read good things about the band for the long term and weight loss in general. It is so hard to go through gain, lose, gain, lose cycle and have to admit defeat again when WLS was supposed to be the last stop.

Yeah, my surgeons do "the Rose procedure" where they go down your throat and make the pouch smaller. It sounds like something that would be a better option for people who have an RNY pouch that has stretched.

Of course, Carnie is being paid by the lap band folks, so that may have swayed her decision.

I saw the reality show, and Carnie told her sisters about the lap band, and then she went and had it done. There is a bunch of drama around whether or not their comeback tour will have to be canceled four weeks after Carnie's lap band surgery because Carnie won't be up to it. She was still in bed two weeks after her surgery. I think a lot of what you see on the show is for the sake of drama and probably not at all what is actually occurring. It is a bit silly. I wouldn't have watched, but I wanted to see if my surgeon was going to be in it.

On a side note, I don't think anyone is judging Carnie. I think most of us feel empathy and compassion for her since she is in the same boat that we all are in or have been in at one time or another. I think that we, as former band users, just have concerns that she will suffer the same problems that we did with our bands.