Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carnie Wilson - 2Nd Wls - Gastric Bypass To Lapband? Huh?

Ok, so there is no shame in having a 2nd WLS, but why on earth would she choose the lapband for the 2nd surgery? WHAT DOCTOR in their right mind would suggest this knowing what we know about the high failure rate of the lapband??? I'm just shocked. Anybody else? Poor Carnie... I can only hope she can make this work.... She should have gone w/the sleeve or Duodonel Switch....

http://todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/21/10796986-12-years-later-carnie-wilson-has-weight-loss-surgery-again

I meet a lady that had her surgery when I did. And she had the bypass 7 years before and was there getting the lap band. Maybe the DS and VSG is not a option for previous bypass patients ? Im not sure ?

Actually, most people who have a revision from a Gastric Bypass have the DS surgery. That is quite common actually- NOT common to go to the lapband. There aren't many surgeons skilled enough to do the more complicated revisions- but they are out there. I know because I had a vertical banded gastroplasty 14 yrs ago, and most docs just wanted to convert me to the gastric bypass cuz it was easier. I fought and found a Dr who had enough skill and experience to do the complicated revision I wanted and I'm glad I did. With her money, finding the right Dr wouldn't have been an issue.

I meet a lady that had her surgery when I did. And she had the bypass 7 years before and was there getting the lap band. Maybe the DS and VSG is not a option for previous bypass patients ? Im not sure ?

i watched celebrity wife swap with her on it , she was a HOT MESS!

Actually, most people who have a revision from a Gastric Bypass have the DS surgery. That is quite common actually- NOT common to go to the lapband. There aren't many surgeons skilled enough to do the more complicated revisions- but they are out there. I know because I had a vertical banded gastroplasty 14 yrs ago, and most docs just wanted to convert me to the gastric bypass cuz it was easier. I fought and found a Dr who had enough skill and experience to do the complicated revision I wanted and I'm glad I did. With her money, finding the right Dr wouldn't have been an issue.

Thats true, she does have the money to get a skilled surgeon to perform the DS. I wonder if she knows about the DS ? Seems like the DS would be a better option then the lap band. Who knows with these celeberties :)

It's called Band over Bypass. The surgeon doesn't take down the bypass (too bad, because her malabsorption is gone now) but the band restricts the amount of food she can eat, which she apparently didn't learn with the bypass.

I agree, she should have chosen a different procedure...but if she had a distal bypass to begin with, I don't know if a biliopancreatic diversion would have helped all that much.

Probably she should spend some money on some nutrition counseling so she doesn't eat around the band, too.

It's called Band over Bypass. The surgeon doesn't take down the bypass (too bad' date=' because her malabsorption is gone now) but the band restricts the amount of food she can eat, which she apparently didn't learn with the bypass.

I agree, she should have chosen a different procedure...but if she had a distal bypass to begin with, I don't know if a biliopancreatic diversion would have helped all that much.

Probably she should spend some money on some nutrition counseling so she doesn't eat around the band, too.[/quote']

Maybe I am a little sensitive to the subject because my mom had the bypass & has gained back quite a bit of her weight but - judge not lest ye be judged. Until you have walked a day in someone's shoes you can't fully understand what they have gone thru.

When I first heard it I was sure she had DS or possibly the sleeve I was kind of shocked that they'd do the lapband. I seem to remember that Sharon Osborne went that route and recently had the band emoved.

The "sleeve" is nothing new and she probably had the sleeve as part of her original procedure. With DS and Rou en Y, there is cutting of the stomach. The sleeve as we know it now, is similar to the previously mentioned procedures except now it is done as a stand alone procedure. I would assume she doesn't have enough stomach to cut anymore thus making the lapband, her only other option for WLS. I feel for her because as we all know, weight loss is a war and war is hell. Let's just hope and pray that this time around, she has learned and can stay at good weight and healthy!

Yep, I saw her interview on The View last year and she said she also had her breast implants removed (also due to complications).

I do wish Carnie the best. I just worry about her long term success given the historical data already out there about the LB.

When I first heard it I was sure she had DS or possibly the sleeve I was kind of shocked that they'd do the lapband. I seem to remember that Sharon Osborne went that route and recently had the band emoved.

Like someone said earlier, to then to the DS, it might have been harder to find the right doctor for her. Who knows. In NYC there are only a small handfull of doctors that can do the DS, the other three popular surgeries (Band, Bypass, and Sleeve) are done more widely. Probably didn't feel like being bothered with it all? Maybe she likes the fact that the band can be removed. So manyfactors. I mean my friend had the bypass almost ten years ago, and has gained some back, no where near what Carny gained back, but she did. Best of luck to her.

The "sleeve" is nothing new and she probably had the sleeve as part of her original procedure. With DS and Rou en Y, there is cutting of the stomach. The sleeve as we know it now, is similar to the previously mentioned procedures except now it is done as a stand alone procedure. I would assume she doesn't have enough stomach to cut anymore thus making the lapband, her only other option for WLS. I feel for her because as we all know, weight loss is a war and war is hell. Let's just hope and pray that this time around, she has learned and can stay at good weight and healthy!

Actually, RNY does not require a sleeve procedure - the stomach is "bypassed" but remains intact. The sleeve is typically the first step of the DS. I'm not sure how they would revise from RNY to sleeve (if they even could), but I'm sure anything's possible?

Well a RNY to a sleeve would be a DS. Wouldn't it be? I'm sure they'd be some extra moving around, making the surgery more tricky.

Actually, RNY does not require a sleeve procedure - the stomach is "bypassed" but remains intact. The sleeve is typically the first step of the DS. I'm not sure how they would revise from RNY to sleeve (if they even could), but I'm sure anything's possible?

I don't think there would be enough stomach left with RNY :-/ I hope she gets the help she needs!

When I was researching Dr's to do my revision, I was looking at doctors all over the U.S. and learned that the pool of WL surgeons who are qualified and skilled enough to do complex revisions or takedowns is probably less than 15-- I only found 5 or 6. If you go over to the www.obesityhelp.com site, you can find a lot of information about people who have had complications from all different surgeries, although the majority of them who had issues were those that had the GB. I trolled that website, this one and others for months while I was doing my research on the different WL procedures. Reason being is that my original WL surgeon died several years ago (young man but had a heart attack) and no surgeon in the Kansas City area had any experience doing surgery on someone who had the VBG (vertical banded gastroplasty). They all just wanted to do the GB because it was the easiest for them, never mind what was best for me.

My point is that I did find surgeons who had been able to reverse the GB and in those cases, it was for medical reasons, not because the patient didn't want the procedure anymore. It's even possible to modify the DS surgery, but very difficult to do. You also start entering territory of experimental surgeries which have their own inherent risks. I had to go out of state to have my surgery to find a qualified and experienced doctor who had worked with previous WL surgeries such as mine.

We don't know Carnie's reasons for choosing the LB. As I said, I do wish her the best. I can only hope she did her own research and not let some Hollywood Dr. lead her down a path that served only his own interests.