Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bcbs Of Texas---Rowan Companies

I have BCBS of TX. My handbook states the following:

Benefits for Morbid Obesity

Benefits for Eligible Expenses incurred by Participant for the Medically Necessary treatment of Morbid Obesity will be provided on the same basis as for any other sickness.

This is all it say about Morbid Obesity. Do you think I will have to go through the 6 months of supervised diet. I hope not. I am so ready to have this surgery. I am so ready to be healthy.

Anyone else have BCBS of Texas? If so, any information you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dina

YES you will have to do the 6 month supervised diet and a psych evel... I too have BCBS of TEXAS... but i got all that behind me just waiting on them to approve or deny.(doc just sent in paper work last week)

I also have BCBS and sadly but true u do have to have 6 months supervised diet and psych eval. My daughter went thru this 3 yrs ago with Aetna n was declined. BCBS she had no problems, just overweight. Make sure u meet the criteria before u start. Talk with the dr and the financial person. Ask questions! Lots of questions

Thanks for the info. Good luck to you!

I have BCBS of IL. 6 months diet is not required. Just call your insurance company and ask. Sometimes it varies by individual employer profiles... so nobody except your insurance company will be able to verify. Good luck!!

I have bcbs of new jersey (corp office) but live in el paso tx, I went thru the 3 month program (sept-dec) and my drs office told me this year bcbs isn't requiring the program, they sent my prior auth tues after mlk day and it was approved that Friday...good luck

It depends if it is an H.M.O. or PPO. I have the PPO and all that it required was a psych eval & sleep study. It is covered like any other surgery, subject to deductibles & co insurance.

Call the insurance and ask if the surgery is covered under your policy.

My insurance is a PPO. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I won't have to do the 6th months supervised diet. But I will do whatever it takes. I just need to learn to be patient.

My insurance is a PPO. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I won't have to do the 6th months supervised diet. But I will do whatever it takes. I just need to learn to be patient.

Also I took the 6 month supervised diet as a way to adjust and get ready for life after the sleeve... It will be a BIG change to your system... Atleast food intake wise

Bcbs said they don't cover it

Did u look up the policy in bcbs? It has criteria you have to meet before it is covered.

BCBS does cover it... I have it but like slim said there are certian criteria you have to meet and some polices have you do a 6 month diet(with a dietian) then psych eval.