Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering if anyone else was told to NOT take Ibuprofen? Tylenol doesn't do much for me, never has.

I am having back problems (not associated with WLS) and ibuprofen is recommended to take the swelling down.

Not sure what to do. Is it ok to take 400mg?? or should I stay away from it? has anyone else tried taking it?

thanks!

I as well as most others were told absolutely not to Ibuprofen and other NSAID's (Non-Steroidal Antiinflammatories) because of the propensity to cause ulcers. No NSAID's, No ASA's (Asperine's) but I was told that a patch with a topical NSAID was OK, and so are injectable NSAID's. As long as they don't go through the stomach. They're too harsh on our sleevies.

Thank you! can you buy a patch over the counter? never knew there was such a thing!

TBH I'm not sure if you can - I would try the thermal care Patches and then if those don't work ask your Dr about a topical anti-inflammatory.

I was told that I was to never take Ibuprofen. My surgeon said it will eat up our tiny stomachs. Be careful!!!

My doctor said not to take them.

Wondering if anyone else was told to NOT take Ibuprofen? Tylenol doesn't do much for me, never has.

I am having back problems (not associated with WLS) and ibuprofen is recommended to take the swelling down.

Not sure what to do. Is it ok to take 400mg?? or should I stay away from it? has anyone else tried taking it?

thanks!

I think a question like this deserves a quick phone call to the dr. office - better safe than sorry - kathy

I too would suggest a quick call to the doctor's office. I just had my 6 week check up with the doctor this morning and she said it was ok for me to occasionally take ibuprofen since I have no history of ulcers. I have a chronic inflammation condition and occasionally need to take NSAIDs to treat it so I discussed this with my surgeon prior to VSG. It can only be occasional, not everyday long term.

This is one of those hot button issues, like whether or not to drink soda. NSAIDs and sodas will get hackles up all over this forum! Hehe... My doc said NO MORE NSAIDs due to risk of ulcer. Other people will tell you they are perfectly fine. If you had any bad stomach issues before surgery, I wouldn't mess with them. This wee stomach has to last you the rest of your life. Be careful what risks you take with it. That's all I can say.

Yep, definitely your surgeon's call here. He knows your situation and history. ;)

There is no greater risk for an ulcer with VSG as we had with our previous stomachs. It's not going to sit in your stomach brewing like it would if you had a pouch. Also, it's really the fact that overuse of NSAIDs destroy the prostaglandin in the stomach lining with can cause an ulcer to form.

I've been taking NSAIDS as needed since being around 6 weeks out. I'm over 2.5 years out, and just delivered a baby 30 October 2011, due to rare genetic issue, I have to take prednisone, 60mg for a solid 30+ days, and received 3 boluses of steroids during delivery then 3 daily doses IV while hospitalized while recovering from a csection. I have had zero issues due to my NSAID. While some surgeon say NO, it's because they lump us all in with Band and Bypass patients. There's hundreds of surgeons that authorize NSAID usage on an "as needed" basis. I always take them with food, and never use more than one dose per day. When I came home from the csection, I was prescribed 800mg (2nd time being prescribed this drug since surgery), and took it as needed for pain and discomfort instead of narcotics since I was breastfeeding, and well, me being doped up trying to care for a newborn would have not been an ideal situation.

There's no medication restrictions with VSG. From the pioneers of VSG as a stand alone procedure, with the most patients with the longer term stats and documented cases:

http://www.lapsf.com/vertical-gastrectomy-weight-loss-surgery.php

Important advantages about the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy:

• Estimated weight loss >80%
  • Resolution of diabetes >90%
  • Resolution of obstructive sleep apnea >95%
  • Resolution of hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol and triglycerides) >80%
  • Resolution of hypertension >80%
  • The portion of the stomach that produces the hormone that stimulates hunger (Ghrelin) is removed.
  • The stomach is dramatically reduced in volume yet also functions normally.
  • No dumping syndrome because the pylorus is preserved.
  • Minimizes the potential for ulcer, so the use anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, Motrin, Aleve and ibuprofen are not problematic (great procedure for those with arthritis, joint pain or Migraine headaches).
  • No intestinal bypass and therefore little or no chance of nutritional and Vitamin deficiencies
  • Most patients with BMI between 30-50kg/M2 achieve their goal weight within 12 months following surgery.
  • Safer alternative for high body weight (>400 pounds) or medically high-risk patients than the gastric bypass or duodenal switch.
  • No foreign body or implanted devices.
  • Can be performed laparoscopically in virtually all patients.
  • 99% leave the hospital within one day.

Oh and due to my genetic issue, I have to take an 81mg aspirin every day of my life. My gastroenterologist, OB and PCM are so grateful that I chose VSG over RNY so I can take this aspirin so I can have decent platelet function. If I don't take it, my platelets do not work properly and then I don't clot.

Wow, that is great information! thank you so much!!

There is no greater risk for an ulcer with VSG as we had with our previous stomachs. It's not going to sit in your stomach brewing like it would if you had a pouch. Also' date=' it's really the fact that overuse of NSAIDs destroy the prostaglandin in the stomach lining with can cause an ulcer to form.

I've been taking NSAIDS as needed since being around 6 weeks out. I'm over 2.5 years out, and just delivered a baby 30 October 2011, due to rare genetic issue, I have to take prednisone, 60mg for a solid 30+ days, and received 3 boluses of steroids during delivery then 3 daily doses IV while hospitalized while recovering from a csection. I have had zero issues due to my NSAID. While some surgeon say NO, it's because they lump us all in with Band and Bypass patients. There's hundreds of surgeons that authorize NSAID usage on an "as needed" basis. I always take them with food, and never use more than one dose per day. When I came home from the csection, I was prescribed 800mg (2nd time being prescribed this drug since surgery), and took it as needed for pain and discomfort instead of narcotics since I was breastfeeding, and well, me being doped up trying to care for a newborn would have not been an ideal situation.

There's no medication restrictions with VSG. From the pioneers of VSG as a stand alone procedure, with the most patients with the longer term stats and documented cases:

http://www.lapsf.com/vertical-gastrectomy-weight-loss-surgery.php

Important advantages about the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy:

[*']Estimated weight loss >80%

[*]Resolution of diabetes >90%

[*]Resolution of obstructive sleep apnea >95%

[*]Resolution of hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol and triglycerides) >80%

[*]Resolution of hypertension >80%

[*]The portion of the stomach that produces the hormone that stimulates hunger (Ghrelin) is removed.

[*]The stomach is dramatically reduced in volume yet also functions normally.

[*]No dumping syndrome because the pylorus is preserved.

[*]Minimizes the potential for ulcer, so the use anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, Motrin, Aleve and ibuprofen are not problematic (great procedure for those with arthritis, joint pain or Migraine headaches).

[*]No intestinal bypass and therefore little or no chance of nutritional and Vitamin deficiencies

[*]Most patients with BMI between 30-50kg/M2 achieve their goal weight within 12 months following surgery.

[*]Safer alternative for high body weight (>400 pounds) or medically high-risk patients than the gastric bypass or duodenal switch.

[*]No foreign body or implanted devices.

[*]Can be performed laparoscopically in virtually all patients.

[*]99% leave the hospital within one day.

Best post that I have ever read. I got more info from this one post out of the hundreds that I have read

My dr said it was ok to take ibuprofen as long as I'm taking my zegerid for acid he said it should be fine but of course not to take it on a daily basis but that's for anyone !!! FYI I'm 3 wks post op