Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Me I'm Not Crazy

Hi there,

I've been reading this forum for weeks now and have found some wonderful information about VSG surgery. I am a 49 year old male, 5'7" and currently weigh 226lbs (at my highest, I was around 260) with a BMI of 35.4. I've been heavy all of my life and have yo-you dieted for as long as I can remember. Being heavy affects every aspect of my life as I'm sure all of you know. My self esteem has never been very high and I've always thought about some type of WLS but never really thought it was feasible/doable for someone with my BMI. After reading so many posts on this site, I now think that a VSG would be a good alternative for me but am concerend about what my friends and family would think. Their stock response is always "just watch what you eat and excericse". I've tried this off and on for so many years and obviously it's not working for me.

So what do you guys think. Is VSG surgery right form someone like me?

I don't know with your BMI, but I started at 220 lbs and I am 5' 2" which made my BMI 40. I have lost 14 pounds in 2-1/2 weeks and I do feel much better.

Have you considered trying a week or two weeks of the liquid diet to see if you can lose anything that way?

It would not hurt to meet with a surgeon and get some advice before making a decision.

Best of luck to you!

I ALSO USE TO THINK MY BMI WAS TOO LOW FOR WLS, BUT AFTER FAILED ATTEMPS AND GAINING MORE AND MORE WEIGHT I KNEW IT WAS A GREAT CHOICE FOR ME. I WAS SLEEVED 12/20/11 AND I AM DOING FINE LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF MY SLEEVE!!!! I TOLD NONE! OF MY FRIENDS OR FAMILY EXCEPT MY SISTER SHE WAS MY SUPPORT. I TELL EVERYONE I'M EATING RIGHT AND EXERCISING WHICH I AM SO DON'T BE CONCERNED WITH OTHERS MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION FOR YOU :)

You've got to do what's right for you. I had a BMI of 36.5. The doctor has always been after me to lose weight, telling me it's just about time to start on BP and cholesterol meds. Over the summer, I walked, walked, walked and ate good. I lost 6 lbs, then gained 8 back. Sound familiar to every single person out there? Anyway, I'm 51, not getting any younger, and just decided it was time to do something. So bottom line, do what's best for you. Weigh the risks, high BP?, high cholesterol? vs. healthy weight. And, things don't get better as you age. (sorry)

You aren't crazy. I heard the same reactions from all of my friends and family when I was thinking of getting surgery. Now everyone knows I have done my research and I am happy to be getting surgery. They are pretty much all behind me. They realize that I have yo-yoed too often and need something more permanent.

Cynthia

I am 57, female, and one inch taller than you. My weight at surgery was 232. I'm 14 months post-op, at goal, and happier than I have been in years. I say if you want to change your life, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. Realizing that dieting won't do it isn't crazy, it's enlightening!

Are you hoping to get insurance to pay for your surgery? You may have an issue getting them to pay for it with such a low BMI. I truly understand your pains with the yo-yo diet thing, so I'm not questioning your feeling that it may be time to put this yo-yo cycle to a final end. You might just need to be prepared to realize that if the insurance won't pay for it due to a low BMI, that this may come out of your pocket. There is a difference between what the ideal weight is for men vs women. I'm not sure what your ideal weight should be.

Just a suggestion and I know this might sound wrong, but several people have done this. Before you go in to meet the surgeon, you might consider getting some weight and ankle weights to increase your weight. Although, your insurance may require a 2 or 5 yr history of being over a certain BMI- so you will want to factor that into your decision making process.

Just food for thought.

Get your surgery . The sooner the better. It's life changing.

You don't have to tell people. I was going to the gym for years before I had surgery. I didn't lose any weight going to the gym 6 days a week but then I had surgery. Everyone knew how hard I was trying to lose weight.. I just tell people that I finallly learned to eat right and working out pays off.

If you can afford this surgery or have insurance to pay for it, change your life for the better and you won't regret it!

I am 5'7" and weighed in at 275 right before Christmas last year. Visited the surgeon and he took it from there. My insurance paid all but approximately $750. I was sleeved on Jan 12, 2012 and as of this morning I weigh 211. 64 POUNDS in 2 months! CRAZY!

Foxbins could not have said it any better !

Its a life changing procedure. I'm loving my new life and self esteem is just incredible.

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. Life changing is exaclty what I'm looking for. I guess it's too much to expect people that haven't been heavy all of their lives to understand the emotional toll it takes on us. I just want to stop worrying about my weight every second of the day and start enjoying life to it's fullest.

I have contacted Dr. Garcia in Mexico and am waiting to hear back from his office. Hopefully it will be soon and I can move on with the next phase of my life.

No not crazy at all. You have the power to take control and get this surgery. I have battled the bulge since 12 and I'm finally about to win this war!! My insurance company did not approve me. My BMI is 39. Not high enough. I have 101 lbs to lose to be at the top range of normal. With that much to lose you would think I would get an approval. Anyway I'm being sleeved by Dr. Kelly in 11 days!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

You are REALLY close to the cut off for many surgeons. My surgeon will not perform this surgery on anyone with a BMI under 35. Also....most insurance companies won't cover it either.

If you want to go to Mexico and are self pay you can probably get it done.

I say go for it! You want to lose weight and keep it off. You have battled weight problems all of your life. That is VERY frustrating and you deserve to try something that will help you keep it off long term. Best wishes to you! I've heard great things about Dr. Garcia!