Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Liquid Should I Be Getting In At One Time?

Hello all,

I am new to the site, had my band to sleeve revision done Monday 3-12 I am still sore on my left side but am getting around. My question is how much liquid is too much? I can drink a half a cup of my Protein Shake (blended with ice) at this point, I am worried that is too much? Other than the Protein I find it hard to get Water in, or anything that is not either really hot or cold like ice chips (just a pain when it goes down).

Let me know what you think is normal.

Thanks so much.

Surgery 3/13 so I'm 4 days out. I'm hoping some veterans will respond to your post because I have the same question. I didn't eat much the first two days, just 150 cc total. Starting today it seems I am famished! I'm wondering if I'm the only big butt that the sleeve isn't going to work for. I know that gherlin remains in the system a while post op but I'm going crazy. I'm limiting my portions out of fear I will burst something and not necessarily out of a strong sense of feeling full. I'm doing only liquids at 4 days out but I feel like I could go for a cheeseburger and fries! I'm trying to get my fluids and Protein in but mentally I'm wanting a full meal. What's wrong with me!!!!

I woke up yesterday feeling like I wanted to eat as well. I get that full feeling fast but I find myself wanting a cheeseburger too haha even though I know there is no way I could take it. I am super worried I am putting too much in with the Protein at one time. Am I normal??? Yikes!!!

Hello all,

I am new to the site, had my band to sleeve revision done Monday 3-12 I am still sore on my left side but am getting around. My question is how much liquid is too much? I can drink a half a cup of my Protein shake (blended with ice) at this point, I am worried that is too much? Other than the Protein I find it hard to get Water in, or anything that is not either really hot or cold like ice chips (just a pain when it goes down).

Let me know what you think is normal.

Thanks so much.

hi sleeverella welcome

After your journey begins, frequently various people have trouble getting in that much Protein shakes, so drink plenty of Water so as not to get dehyrated.

there is no such thing as too many liquids. i.e. Protein Shakes, popsicles, soup/broth and of course WATER. you are supposed to drink 64 oz liquid (water)

Again, forever drink at least 64 oz., or more if you can. (some people have trouble drinking that much, afraid i'm one of them, continue to try and improve - do your best and i'll do mine too)

best wishes

good luck

kathy

I believe everyone is unique as to their response to the surgery. I had my operation 3/7 and I am struggling getting down liquids. I wouldn't worry about weight lost at this point - it is most important to let the stomach heal. Weight lost will come.

7 weeks out and struggling to get in liquids. Max is a few sips and it's hard but I keep on trying!

I had my sleeve on Feb 27th and I haven't had any problems with Water or juices. I can drink all I want. Fat Free milk goes down without any problem. I take a few gulps at a time and wait a few minutes and no problem with finishing a 8 ounce glass. Everything I eat I chew well over and over. I haven't started my Protein yet and got sick from my Vitamins. That’s a lot of vitamins...the Flintstone with Iron give me indigestion sometimes. I plan to try the protein this week. I feel pretty well considering. I did get a pain in my lower left side just across and up a little from my belly button after walking too much. After reading the forum I find out this is pretty normal so I would take it easy on the walking. The pain is getting better every day. I don't know if my going on has helped but as time goes by I will update this forum. Have a wonderful day. Oh by the way be careful after the first week because your immune system is very low and you can catch a virus very easy..I did and had to go to the ER because of fever and diarrhea which caused dehydration. They did a CT on my belly and all was well...it was a crazy virus going around that a lot of people were getting and lasted about three days. :rolleyes: God Bless

I'm not up to Protein Shakes yet as that is my post two week diet. I feel much better today (third day post op) and I am downing a significant amount of Clear Liquids. If you stomach is tolerating that then I guess it's a good thing. My doctor basically told me that if you're not throwing up then you aren't eating too much.

I had my sleeve 2/29. Recovery for me has been easy. I started walking as soon as I woke up. Have tolerated Protein Drink well but get a sensation in the center of my chest that feels like I need a big burp. Also get hungry from time and have never felt completly satisfied. Is this normal and will it go away. Can't imagine the rest of my life taking 2 bites and feeling like this. But the weight is coming off, 19 lbs in 18 days

Thanks for all the replies, I was worried that getting a half a cup in less then 20 mins was a concern. I feel full after it but I dont want to strech anything!!! Thanks again. Also I am having the weird sensation in my mid section as well ... its really strange feeling. I dont feel it as much when I am not downing liquids. I am hoping to go back to work tomorrow, I am a little nervous. Someone mentioned having issues with Protein, I am using Gladiator powder from smoothie King the key for me is to mix half and drink in the am and the other half in the pm, I put a little 1% in and ice making it about half a cup, then blend and spoon it in. Hope this helps.

Pls help!!! Two full days out and 2 oz makes me sooo full. I am still in hospital with low grade fever. I'm wanting to panic

Low Grade Fever...how are you doing now? I had a fever of 102 after a getting home and it was a virus. I didn't take any antibiotics because it was a virus and lasted about 3 days. Hope all is well now!

I started using the whey Protein from Walmart. I bought a one cup blender tonight and added some Whey, Skim Milk and Splenda along with some ice and it was great. I drank a good glass full, It took me about 30 minutes to drink it but really no problem. Just feeling full. I started taking my whole one a day Vitamin complex and no problem going down. Doc said I could start taking the whole pill now. I was breaking them in half. I still have some pain on my left side just above my belly button and over to the left. The doc said it was normal because he put a big stitch there and it should go away befor long. It doesn't start to bother me until the end of my day.