Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Kelly Preop Diet Ideas?

I am starting my preop diet for surgery with Dr. Kelly on the 29th. This is what I got as far as preop diet instructions go:

Allowed foods (7 day pre surgery diet)

• All kinds of liquids
  • Water, tea, lemon Water (take at least 3.5 litters a day)
  • Water, tea, fruit juice drinks, natural fruit beverages, chicken stock, vegetables, cream Soups, skim milk, yogurt, jelly (gelatine desserts).
  • Same liquids plus pureed foods a day (a first stage of Gerber sized, strained).
  • Mashed fruits, vegetables, cereals (oatmeal, rice, potato, noodles, mixed).

Am I correct in thinking that I can have oatmeal and mashed potatoes?

What did other Dr. Kelly patients eat during their preop diet?

Hey sleeve sister. I thought we were supposed to be on Clear Liquids 3 days before surgery. I started my own 2 week diet just doing a Protein shake for lunch and Breakfast then I have meat and veggies for dinner. I am planning on doing broth and Jello 3 days before. I'm interested to see what the other Dr Kelly patients did.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am interested too!!! What exactly made you guys decide on Dr Kelly over Aceves? I'm still considering...

I researched Dr Kelly and felt comfortable with his experience and that he has been doing it for a long time.

They are both great surgeons from what ive read. To be honest I read about DR. Kelly and how most leaks occur at the top of the pouch and he takes a flab of fat and stitches it around the top portion of the pouch. When he called me and I had my list of questions ready, he told me that without even me asking. And of course the fact that you are in the hospital for 2 days and he uses the tape instead of sutures. I didn't want to have to take my own out.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

It's listed on his diet, so I would say yes. But i'm sure it means little or no butter in the potatoes, and plain oatmeal. There is that instant oatmeal that they eat on the biggest loser, i'm going to look into that. I'm going to do all liquids for the last the days, just to shrink my liver as much as possible. I've stated at 90 days out, by using the "my fitness pal" app on my phone, and it gives you a calorie number to follow, and I've lost 2 pounds in five days, so maybe you could try that if you still have time before your 7 day pre op diet. I traded one meal a day for a pure Protein shake daily! Just thought it would help my transition to be easier once the pre-op came into play! Wishing you a great outcome. When are you having surgery? I'm scheduled for June 9th :)

It's listed on his diet, so I would say yes. But i'm sure it means little or no butter in the potatoes, and plain oatmeal. There is that instant oatmeal that they eat on the biggest loser, i'm going to look into that. I'm going to do all liquids for the last the days, just to shrink my liver as much as possible. I've stated at 90 days out, by using the "my fitness pal" app on my phone, and it gives you a calorie number to follow, and I've lost 2 pounds in five days, so maybe you could try that if you still have time before your 7 day pre op diet. I traded one meal a day for a pure Protein Shake daily! Just thought it would help my transition to be easier once the pre-op came into play! Wishing you a great outcome. When are you having surgery? I'm scheduled for June 9th :)

My surgery is the 29 also . I am cofused about this to as mine says the same as yours but to follow it for 3 day. But i think i am going to try and start it on Monday and the last 3 days being clear liquid. I also would like to know what past patients had to do.

Maybe just call him and ask him to clarify, and then report back to us who still have a few months until surgery :)

My surgery is the 29 also . I am cofused about this to as mine says the same as yours but to follow it for 3 day. But i think i am going to try and start it on Monday and the last 3 days being clear liquid. I also would like to know what past patients had to do.

I think it depends on your BMI. My sister and I were both sleeved by Dr Kelly a little over a week ago. Her BMI was low(33) and she was told to do the 3 days of Clear Liquids. Mine was higher (36) and I was told to start my pre-op diet the week before. I basically ate oatmeal, cottage cheese,low sodium vegetable Soup. It was not easy but I never cheated and my surgery and recovery have been perfect.

Great job on not cheating .My bmi is 40

CoffeeBean I have the same BMI as you. It looks like this is working out really well for you! I've been feeling like I am just lazy because I am a "lightweight" even though I've carried 60-70 extra pounds around for 12 years. Gain, lose, gain lose... always the same. So I'm happy to see someone else with my BMI who is a success. I am also considering Dr. Kelly, so any more input would be great. :)

I have a BMI of 40 (I currently weigh 242.2 lbs). I started the preop diet a few days early. I was told 7 days full liquid with 3 days clear. I'm giving myself 10 days which meant I started yesterday. I'm glad I have been experimenting with Protein drinks and got rid of caffine in the form of soda at the beginning of the year. Yesterday was not bad at all. I am dreading Saturday because I am taking my neice to see the Hunger Games and you know she will be all over the popcorn!

Just sent an email to Dr. Kelly's staff confirming all the details. I picked Dr. Kelly because I liked what I heard online about him, he was very responsive to my phone calls, and the price was right. I'm glad to hear (thank SexySlim!) about the pouch information for leaks that he does (looking forward to meeting you next week!).

I am starting my preop diet for surgery with Dr. Kelly on the 29th. This is what I got as far as preop diet instructions go:

Allowed foods (7 day pre surgery diet)

Am I correct in thinking that I can have oatmeal and mashed potatoes?

What did other Dr. Kelly patients eat during their preop diet?

I was sleeved by Dr. Kelly March 15th. I did the clear diet three days before, and ate broth, apple juice, and yogurt. A lot of bullion. It was funny b/c I was not reading things right and was drinking the Protein shakes on the third day out and went back to read my stuff and found out I was supposed to be doing the clear thing .... and freaked out and sent Dr. Kelly an email to make sure it would be ok! He said it was totally fine to just stop at that point, which I did.

When I got there, his wife who does the driving and Ana took me to a really nice Mexican restaurant where I had broth. It was one of the neat parts of my trip...anyway, I stayed mostly on those things before my surgery.

I am very excited for you! I know you will love Dr. Kelly, he is a great surgeon. I am very pleased with how I am healing. Keep me posted!

When the cravings hit on the pre-op diet I ate the Kozy Shak sugar free tapioca or rice pudding. They are in the dairy case and yummy. They go down very easily now that I am post op too. I can only eat half at a time now!:)