Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-sleeve I was a diet coke JUNKIE. I'd go all day on nothing but that. I know there are many opinions on the topic of drinking soda post-op..........so, what's yours? I'm dying to start nursing a kids cup's size of one!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Don't do it girl. You're off the junk, stay off. Aside from the differing opinions of various surgeons-some say it will stretch your sleeve slowly over time (like mine) and some say it doesn't at all. ( I am NOT going to take that chance under any circumstances!)- aside from that- That crap is no earthly good for you. The phosphorus acid will rot your guts and the sweeteners still contribute to weight gain like real sugar. It's just not a nutritionally sound decision. Try to replace that craving with something else. I don't know what, but my opinion is don't do it!! (not that I feel strongly about it or anything ;)

I drink soda on occasion, but what I do is add club soda to fruit juice 50/50. My favorite is Trader Joes blackberry juice and club soda. I have occasionally added crystal light to club soda (careful, it fizzes), but I really want to stay off Nutrasweet.

It's not going to stretch the sleeve. It will put some pressure on it, but guess what? We have stomach valves and can burp. I sip slowly and don't slug it.

its too bad

bcz soda full of gas and our stimachs after sleeve full of gas try it you will hate forever itried it and now im afraid even from its name

I would not recommend this at all hon. Soda and your new sleeve will not work well, specially if your not even a month out. IF worse comes to worse let it go flat the next day and sip that, hopefully you wont have to go to that though. GL

Just curious, but is this some form of texting shorthand? I'm not sure I understand.

Soda is gas. We have gas in our sleeves. You tried it and hated it. We will hate it forever too. Now you are afraid of the word "Soda?"

To the OP, wait on it. A month out is too soon I would think. I also think diet soda actually makes one crave carbs. There are many studies to back that one up. New sleeves should be eating and drinking soothing things and getting that Protein and good liquids in. No room for junk right?

I too was a huge Diet Coke fan. I couldn't go a day without at least a 2 liter of DC. I stopped cold turkey just before I started at the Bariatric Center. I really don't miss it. Now I "treat" myself to a Caffine Free Diet Coke once a month at a special monthly event. I really don't even crave it anymore but it is just a treat. I do not find that it causes me any problems but I drink it very slowly and it takes me most of the day to drink one. As for as it stretching the stomach I don't see it at all but I am not done with my journey yet. I definitely do not have any problems drinking the DC.

Soda has carbonation and you are not to drink anything with carbonation. That means no more soda. It also has other things that are not good for your new stomach. The carbonation refulxes back up into your esphogus and the acid over time will eat away and you will develop an ulcer and that will not be a good situation.

i get a kids size dr pepper icee have a few sips for the flavor and pass the rest on to my kiddo....best part is...there is NO carbination.

imean it contains carbon so it will make the sleeved stomach full by gas which will give her a bad feeling of discomfort .

sorry if you donot understand my words.

Did you know that Diet COke or other diet soda's will cause you to be hungry and eat more. I spent too much energy and time in getting this sleeve to risk of this stuff. If I was going to try it, I want empirical studies that prove that diet carbonated soda's don't cause any harm to our stomachs!. I want my stomach to stay small for the rest of my life and am going to be safe. This is just my choice. Others can make choices for themselves. ;)

I started drinking Diet Pepsi at about 11 months out. It actually helps me with my sweet tooth cravings. I in NO WAY drink it like I use to drink it. I'm good with a can a day now, where as before I could literally drink many cans a day.

I don't really understand why people say diet coke contributes to cravings and hunger but don't say that about crystal light and other artificially sweetened drinks. They all have pretty much the same sweeteners in them. I drink sugarfree Hawaiian punch like its going out of style because I hate plain Water, always have and I drank diet coke before surgery like crazy and I never noticed either one making me want to eat more sweets. I don't do carbonated drinks now because I don't like how they feel in my tummy but I wouldn't be afraid of them if I wanted one.

Hate to be the voice of reason but soda, like any liquid, helps with hydration so it does have a purpose. I have issues with the carbonation so I open cans and let them sit in the refrigerator and go flat. In a pinch you can stir the soda (not all sodas react the same) in ice and the CO2 will release and go flat. Just remember, all things in moderation.