Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crystal light is the same. The way I've heard it is that when people drink sugar soda and diet soda there is a pleasure reaction to sweetness from both in the brain. In the sugar soda your body also gets the sugar kick, but does not from the diet soda so your body tend to crave more carbs (simple fast carbs) to make up the difference.

I believe it too. It make me crave simple carbs.

This is why I drink a bit of fruit juice diluted with club soda. I don't want to ingest the chemicals.

Some people have huge issues with stomach gas and reflux, always have, always will. I do not have such issues and drink carbonated Water in moderation. Before my surgery, I had an upper endoscopy. It was totally clear - this from a habitual diet coke drinker.

I will not go back to the diet sodas, but I do loves the bubbles. Champagne is also my wine of choice LOL!

The only thing I will not put in my sleeve yet is popcorn. I can wait a few months.

I should add that artificial sweeteners do not affect everybody the same way. Same with the carbonation. Your mileage will vary.

@ dogzz - Heroin? Really?

I have heard the same thing that Catracks said. And honestly I drink diet pepsi everyday and it DOES make me crave carby and sugary foods. I have to fight those feelings to drink something I enjoy. No big deal.. I think to each their own, everything in moderation, and use good judgement.

By drinking soda which is carbonated many of us get reflux which causes the acids that are contained in our stomach naturally to back up into the esophagus. This acid is hard on the lining of the esophagus and can lead to ulcer development in the esophagus. If the acid from the stomach eats a hole in your esophagus you won't have to worry about eating or drinking as if it get bad enough you will be having your meals through a tube. Why take the risk????????????

I was told no soda too. I'm a diet Pepsi junkie myself so this is going to be a hard habit to break. I have heard that some doctors allow you to drink it but only when it's flat. Personally I'd rather not take the risk so early in the sleeving process.

I used to be a diet coke addict as well, had one going pretty much all day. When I read about some of the studies that said that diet soda actually can hurt your weight loss efforts I gave it up. It wasn't easy. I switched over to club soda which is much more pure without all the chemicals etc. Like someone else mentioned I would add a little lemon/lime or fruit juice to change it up once and a while but I no longer drank it daily. After about 6 months I tried a sip of Diet Code.....it did not even taste good to me anymore.

Now that I am on the road to a gastric sleeve I have also stopped drinking club soda. I feel it's a small price to pay for a heathier me. My Dr. & nutritionist said no carbonated drinks.

As far as the person who thought it could be used as hydration, if she is drinking regular diet coke (not caffeine free) than it is actually a diuretic and that is not good when you have to fight to get all of our liquids in to not get dehydrated.

~Sue

Just like others have posted my surgeon told me no carbonation. With crystal light and Water, I hand no craving for soda, but they did say I could let a can go flat, then sip on it and out would count a my liquid intake. I just don't feel the need. I was a huge regular soda drinker pre surgery. To me, starting back on soda, even if it if it is diet, will sabotage my progress. So why start? But that is just me....

I have replace my Pepsi with crystal light and also have been buying some diet cranberry juice. It has 5 calories per serving and seem to stop my cravings. I know that if I started back on soda I would be hooked. I used to drink a couple of the 2L bottles a day or regular so that was a big problem for me. I hated the after taste of diet soda.

See the controversy on this subject ;) Well I think I'll heed your advice & skip it....boy, is it hard to fight off all these food demons of mine!!!

Thanks for all the imput!!

I was a diet coke junkie before surgery and now I can't drink it. I really miss the way my body use to relax after one and how refreshing it was but I can't do it. It goes down wrong. I tried leaving it out but now it tastes overly sweet. Regular coke forget about it I feel like I am chewing on sugar. So even though I want and miss it, I can't have it. Almost 4 months post op and its still weird I am not drinking diet coke and still miss it. Its hard to give it up.