Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Gone To Mexico Alone For Surgery?

I'm headed to Tjuana alone next week. I'm going through beliteweight.com with Dr. Rodriguez. So far, Belite has been awesome! I'm hoping the trip lives up to its reputation, because if it does, I'm in for better care than I'm used to here in Detroit for sure.

Thanks sweetness,

That's comforting to hear, I'm going to pack extremely lite. Should I take anything in particular? Anything you suggest or recommend?

I packed very light just a carry on, very comfy clothes and my laptop. The one thing i also took with me was a phone list and put it next to my bed in my room and told them that those would be the people to contact incase any thing went wrong.. That is one thing the states we as for is an emerg contact however i was not asked about one when i went to mexico. I wish you the best. See you on the other side.

I went alone back in Nov with Dr Ponce and had Trish as my coordinator. Best decision of my life. Dr Ponce and his team are great. They still keep in touch with me till this day just to check my progress. I feel like I gained a friend with Trish she is a sweetheart. Good luck on your decision.

I'M GOING ALONE TOO. IT'S FUNNY TO SAY IT BUT THIS TRIP WILL BE A NICE LIL BREAK FOR ME. LOL!!

Hey, mynewbeginings!!! I can't wait for it to be my turn!! Since you've already been where I'm going do u have any suggestions or words of wisdom as far as traveling there and the hospital, and hotel??

I am having my surgery on Mar 20 with dr. Ponce de leon. I am going alone but my coordinator is Trish and she is excellent. She is constantly in touch with me making sure I am ready and seeing how I am feeling. I don't mind going alone knowing that I have her there with me.

I am having my surgery with Dr. Kelly on May 11th! if anyone needs his info it is 619 395 5347, jrkelly45@hotmail.com or wls-clinic@hotmail.com. I spent almost an hour on the phone with Dr. Kelly yesterday (how many doctors in the USA would do that?). I have also done a great deal of research and I believe he is the best doctor for me. Anyone else having surgery that day with Dr. Kelly?

oh and I am also going by myself. I am a little scared to tell you the truth, but I know many people have done it and is fine.

I just had an initial consultation with a Dr here in the USA & they are quoting me $24,850 for my total surgery costs. Ugh.

So I am now thinking of being sleeved with Dr Kelly. But DH is not sure he could get time off to come with me, or would mean bringing the kids with us.

So wondering if anyone went alone to MX & were you okay not having someone there, just in case?

I was sleeved by Dr. Kelly on March 15th. I did have someone with me, but I think I would have been fine by myself. Dr. Kelly's wife and his assistant Ana drive you, and take you wherever you want to go. They are both very nice. Dr. Kelly visits frequently, as does Ana. I honestly don't think you would have a problem. Most of the nurses at the hospital speak English, I didn't have a problem communicating at all when I needed things myself. I took my sister b/c I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to communicate, etc., but that problem really just didn't arise for me at all.

Not trying to sell you, but I had a very positive experience in terms of the people -- Dr. Kelly, Ana and his wife, and the nurses at the hospital. Knowing what I know now, I would go by myself if I was going to go again.

Hope that helps.

I am having my surgery with Dr. Kelly on May 11th! if anyone needs his info it is 619 395 5347, jrkelly45@hotmail.com or wls-clinic@hotmail.com. I spent almost an hour on the phone with Dr. Kelly yesterday (how many doctors in the USA would do that?). I have also done a great deal of research and I believe he is the best doctor for me. Anyone else having surgery that day with Dr. Kelly?

oh and I am also going by myself. I am a little scared to tell you the truth, but I know many people have done it and is fine.

Dr. Kelly is super sweet. I never would have known he was a surgeon based on his attitude (you know how most of them are very pompous). He spends as much time with you as you need, and he even came and had dinner/hung out with myself and the other sleever that was there at the same time as I was this month. Really blew me away how down to earth and friendly he was. Although (I keep saying this) I think he did an excellent job with my surgery. I was up that night, no nausea, and my incisions are small and healing quite well.

It's very much a family business -- you will get to meet his son, he goes around with Dr. Kelly quite a bit in the evening when he is doing patient visits, and his wife is the driver, and Ana his assistant comes with her (the wife doesn't speak a lot of people) and they are just all super people who want you to feel comfortable and relaxed/happy. Honestly, I received care from all of them that I wouldn't expect here in the age of rushed inpersonal medical care.

Dr. Kelly's wife is also a nurse -- and a very good one. I had an allergic reaction at the hotel and she came right over (at 10 pm on a Saturday night) and took care of me. Excellent care.

No my allergic reaction had nothing to do with my surgery, it was own own mistake on another medication I take that I brought with me.

Anyway, I think you will like all of them. :)

kbs you must had been the patient Dr. Kelly told me about when I we were talking about complications, medicines and such. I talked to him on a sunday and he said something about a patient the previous night and how they went to check on you and stuff. Yes we would not get that here in the USA which is really a shame. I am having my surgery with him May 10th and I cannot wait! (I take other meds too, so I am making sure to talk to my doctors before then about being off medications or if is ok to take them then, I asked Dr. Kelly to send me a list of meds I would be on after surgery and he did, I am actually very impressed with him, so much so that I am hoping to ask him to see if I can do one of my rotations with him next year there in Tijuana (I start my clinical rotations then and would like to do one in gastric surgery). Thanks for sharing!

I went alone to Dr. kelly. For me it was good to be alone...i rested a lot and had all the support from the nurses. I had my computer to skipe the family and kept them updated, just in case. I did research all the details before and i was feeling confident in my doctor and his team. I did follow reccomendations to avoid any complications and my husband was ready to come urgently if necessary. I had the option to bring a friend with me but i am glad i did not as i really felt the need to rest, rely on the professionals. I felt safe, well cared, supported all the time and had the very caring support from Trish, dr. Kellys assistant. The nurses were very caring, patient, checked on me regularly and came to the bedroom always a second ate i called (first night i called them a lot) and kept the nausea and pain at acceptable levels. They gave me a letter to get some assistance in the airport but that only heed after the check in, until then i had to pull my luggage/ cart but it was fine as i kept things to the minimaly essential.

I kept my cel phone on me and my husband knew of every step, specially in the last days when we went out shopping, sight seeing, taking cabs, etc.

When i was there the were other people alone and we ended up getting to know each other, supporting each other.

Hey, mynewbeginings!!! I can't wait for it to be my turn!! Since you've already been where I'm going do u have any suggestions or words of wisdom as far as traveling there and the hospital, and hotel??

Neva907, sorry I just saw your post tonight. Everything went smoothly as far as crossing the border and to the hospital. The driver was very nice and on time When I got to the hospital I was very nervous, they gave me something to relax and then I felt better :) I took my themometer to take my temp at the hospital and hotel. They take your temp about 6 times a day. But they take it in Celsius. I had to make sure for myself, I didnt have a fever :) A few hours after surgery I needed pain medication and I told the nurse and she must have ran to get the medicine because when I looked up again she was standing over me with a liquid pain medication. I drank it and the pain stopped and I went back to sleep. I finally got up 5 hours later and started to walk the halls. I had my favorite nurse, I dont remember her name, but she stood out. She was young and wore a nurses hat. One of the nurses I hated to see coming :) She started messing with my IV and pulled it out. And then she tried to put it back. But I asked her to go get the "favorite nurse" and she out it back in with no problem. The hotel was really nice. King size bed with 8 pillows and high thread count sheets !!!! I loved it. The broth was good. The hospital will discharge you with Gatorade to take back to the hotel. So you will be set. And if you have any questions you can email or call the hospital or cordinator. The cordinator will come and visit you at the hotel once a day while you are there. All I can say is after you are discharged, and you are at the hotel just walk and relax.

Neva907, sorry I just saw your post tonight. Everything went smoothly as far as crossing the border and to the hospital. The driver was very nice and on time When I got to the hospital I was very nervous, they gave me something to relax and then I felt better :) I took my themometer to take my temp at the hospital and hotel. They take your temp about 6 times a day. But they take it in Celsius. I had to make sure for myself, I didnt have a fever :) A few hours after surgery I needed pain medication and I told the nurse and she must have ran to get the medicine because when I looked up again she was standing over me with a liquid pain medication. I drank it and the pain stopped and I went back to sleep. I finally got up 5 hours later and started to walk the halls. I had my favorite nurse, I dont remember her name, but she stood out. She was young and wore a nurses hat. One of the nurses I hated to see coming :) She started messing with my IV and pulled it out. And then she tried to put it back. But I asked her to go get the "favorite nurse" and she out it back in with no problem. The hotel was really nice. King size bed with 8 pillows and high thread count sheets !!!! I loved it. The broth was good. The hospital will discharge you with Gatorade to take back to the hotel. So you will be set. And if you have any questions you can email or call the hospital or cordinator. The cordinator will come and visit you at the hotel once a day while you are there. All I can say is after you are discharged, and you are at the hotel just walk and relax.

You had Dr. Garcia right? Who was your coordinator? What hotel?

My coordinator is Linda and I am staying at the Marriott I believe.