Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I am an American living in Kuwait and am anticipating getting sleeved in April. The main thing I am worried about is I only have one week off. Do y'all think that is ok? I am a teacher, so I can't miss more. Iam so nervous it won't be enough time to recoup. Help.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Carly! I was up and around in a few days but really started feeling my best by the second week. I think that if your job is not physically demanding, you should be okay. The main thing is that you drink your fluids. It took a lot of focus in the beginning to sip, sip, sip and walk. Because you can only consume a small amount of Fluid at a time, it's really important to keep it going. If you fall behind, it's soooo difficult to catch up. I was also on Protein right from the beginning. So again, if you can keep a bottle with you at all times and keep sipping you should be okay. I felt fine physically. Some people feel a little more fatigue. It just depends. We are all different. Lets see what others post here! Best of luck to you and congratulations on your date!!! Soon you will be on the losers bench!!!

Hey Carly..I am getting sleeved in April as well. I too am trying to figure out is one week okay. I can not take off more than one week either. What is your date? You are living in Kuwait?? That is so interesting. I grew up overseas so I love to hear of someone in another country. Are you in the military, if you dont mind me asking? I have seen on this site, different answers to staying off work. I suppose we are just all different. i have seen from 1 week to six weeks off. So along with you, i too will see what others say. Good luck and best wishes on your new journey into your new life
:D

It might depend upon your age, too, as far as how you feel. I"m 66 and felt best my 3rd week. I went to work on my 11th day. I was very slow. The next week I was much perkier. Everyday about 5:00, I wished I could have taken a nap. :) After 4 wks, that went away.

Thanks MNB, I hope that it will be the case with me that it will be manageable fatigue. I appreciate your reply; it helps with the fear to know others are out there who have been through it. Enjoying, thank you too for responding. My date is not confirmed yet, but it could be April fools day. Hope that's not meaningful for me though. ;). I should find out for sure tomorrow. No, I'm not in the military, just living and working here. I have a Kuwaiti husband too, I suppose that has something to do with it as well. Are you on a preop diet? I am not yet. Keep me posted on your progress. Again thanks!

Hi Ready4change,

Thank you. Yeah, I'm in my 40s so I think it may take a bit longer, but I'm hoping not. I find that I am already tired come 3 or 4, so maybe that won't be a huge change. Thanks!

Thanks MNB' date=' I hope that it will be the case with me that it will be manageable fatigue. I appreciate your reply; it helps with the fear to know others are out there who have been through it. Enjoying, thank you too for responding. My date is not confirmed yet, but it could be April fools day. Hope that's not meaningful for me though. ;). I should find out for sure tomorrow. No, I'm not in the military, just living and working here. I have a Kuwaiti husband too, I suppose that has something to do with it as well. Are you on a preop diet? I am not yet. Keep me posted on your progress. Again thanks![/quote']

Hi Carly .I also live in Kuwait.i'm British and also married to a Kuwaiti.I have been reading up on the vgs for a while but haven't started phoning hospitals yet.Where did you get yours done and how long is the whole prosses how much? do you have to go on a pre op diet and what is the bmi criteria or do the do on how many pounds/kg you have to lose.etc,here in Kuwait i know alot of the doctors here are very flexable with the criteria and even people who are only slighly over weight are getting weight loss surg. Sorry to be a pain and ask so many questions.How did your op go ? Well i hope ! X

Hi Carly .I also live in Kuwait.i'm British and also married to a Kuwaiti.I have been reading up on the vgs for a while but haven't started phoning hospitals yet.Where did you get yours done and how long is the whole prosses how much? do you have to go on a pre op diet and what is the bmi criteria or do the do on how many pounds/kg you have to lose.etc' date='here in Kuwait i know alot of the doctors here are very flexable with the criteria and even people who are only slighly over weight are getting weight loss surg. Sorry to be a pain and ask so many questions.How did your op go ? Well i hope ! X[/quote']

Hi Liz,

Sorry I haven't been checking in lately. I went to Royale Hayat. They were great. There is no preop diet and I don't know of a bmi requirement. I was 34. No prob. I visited them a year before when I was thinking about bypass and then changed my mind. Then I went back in feb. 12 and scheduled for April 1st. It cost 3000.00kd. They told me they are the only US approved weightloss surgery center in KW. Related to some board or somethingorother. ;) I am doing well now, thank God. Didn't have any issues and am down about 50 lbs.

Keep me posted. Happy to talk anytime!

Hi Liz' date='

Sorry I haven't been checking in lately. I went to Royale Hayat. They were great. There is no preop diet and I don't know of a bmi requirement. I was 34. No prob. I visited them a year before when I was thinking about bypass and then changed my mind. Then I went back in feb. 12 and scheduled for April 1st. It cost 3000.00kd. They told me they are the only US approved weightloss surgery center in KW. Related to some board or somethingorother. ;) I am doing well now, thank God. Didn't have any issues and am down about 50 lbs.

Keep me posted. Happy to talk anytime![/quote']

Hi Carly, wow congrats on the 50 lbs loss . I will hopefully have it done at Al Salam with Dr Khalid Al Sharaf ,i'm %100 sure this is what i want to do.But it's just talking my husband around,he's worried it's not safe.(which in Kuwaiti means he doesn't want to be left with the kids when i'm in hospital and who will feed him during ramadan) LOL ! if you don't mind me asking how long where you in hospital? What was the pain level like. Did you have to have a drain.Sorry so many questions.

Hi Carly' date=' wow congrats on the 50 lbs loss . I will hopefully have it done at Al Salam with Dr Khalid Al Sharaf ,i'm %100 sure this is what i want to do.But it's just talking my husband around,he's worried it's not safe.(which in Kuwaiti means he doesn't want to be left with the kids when i'm in hospital and who will feed him during ramadan) LOL ! if you don't mind me asking how long where you in hospital? What was the pain level like. Did you have to have a drain.Sorry so many questions.[/quote']

That's funny about the husband. And so true. I don't know about any of the other hospitals or Drs. Does he have a good reputation? Do you know what kind of follow up care they do? I only stayed in the hospital one night. My operation was the first in the morning and I had a pump to manage my pain meds. I didn't use it at all until the second day when I had some gas pain that was bad. I left that evening of day two. I could have stayed longer but I wanted to get home to my kids. My surgery was on Sunday and I went back to work the following Sunday. The pain was minimal for me. I was tired the first couple of days back, but my work is not strenuous, so it was ok. Dr Al-Sanae does not put in drains, much to my relief.

When are you looking to have this done? Do you work?

That's funny about the husband. And so true. I don't know about any of the other hospitals or Drs. Does he have a good reputation? Do you know what kind of follow up care they do? I only stayed in the hospital one night. My operation was the first in the morning and I had a pump to manage my pain meds. I didn't use it at all until the second day when I had some gas pain that was bad. I left that evening of day two. I could have stayed longer but I wanted to get home to my kids. My surgery was on Sunday and I went back to work the following Sunday. The pain was minimal for me. I was tired the first couple of days back' date=' but my work is not strenuous, so it was ok. Dr Al-Sanae does not put in drains, much to my relief.

When are you looking to have this done? Do you work?[/quote']

Hi Carly.Ramadan Kareem to you and your family,only a couple of days to go. Well Dr Khalid is a consultant bariatric surgeon at Mobarak hospital ,he and your Dr Osama Al Sanae are 2 of only 6 doctors in Kuwait who have been trained to do that new VBLOCK maestro implant for weightloss. So i hope hes good :-@ i chose Al Salam because i had last child there 5th c-section loads of complications and they where amazing.i'm not sure about there post op followups .QUESTION #1001 what kind of follow up. Ha ha some many questions....Dr Khalid so far has been great he even answers my question when i pm him on Facebook. Hoping to do it sometime in Ramadan or just after Eid at the latest,So i'll have time to recover before school starts.No i don't work i have 8 kids eldest 18 youngest 2 1/2 and no maid ,crazy right.As part of your post op diet did you have to drink protien shakes ?.where do you work? If you don't mind me asking.

Hmmmm I was conceived Kuwait. LOL. my Daddy was in the oil biz. I was born in Tx. Now that was in the mid fifties a much more primitive place than now I'm sure.

Hmmmm I was conceived Kuwait. LOL. my Daddy was in the oil biz. I was born in Tx. Now that was in the mid fifties a much more primitive place than now I'm sure.

Hi slim ,mid 1950 i think most places didn't even have electricity back then the first power plant was built in 1952.things have change loads since then :-) very modern very Americanesk or so they like to think.Malls Johnny Rockets Starbucks etc Have you ever been to Kuwait ?

No, and would love to some day. Lived in Libya a couple of years during high school.

No' date=' and would love to some day. Lived in Libya a couple of years during high school.[/quote']

You'd love it here ! My friends say it's a nice place to visit for a holiday but they wouldn't want to live here.I'm stuck here i married a Kuwaiti.how did you surgery go you are what,abot 2 month out right.Any regrets?