Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dissapointment ... First Personal Training Session

*Pulling my hair out*. Yesterday I went to my first personal trainer evaluation. Of course, I was quickly judged on my choice to have surgery. The trainer quickly told me that without training I would gain all my weight back within four months and have to start over. He also told me that no piece of equipment in the gym would help me if I picked to do this on my own. He would help my husband and I for $1000 PER MONTH !!!!! What a whackdoodle!!!! I am down 75lbs with less than 30 until goal. I feel discouraged and angry! I need to tone my arms and stomach but was looking for some help (apparently with the wrong person!). What did you guys do to tone up? Any help is appreciated :-)

Just ignore the goof. He's not going to build up a clientèle by offending people like that. Keep looking, perhaps a FEMALE trainer would be better suited??

BTW, I'm at 15 months out and have kept it off and go to the gym and swim 1 hour a day 5 days a week. I am in good shape have a LOT more stamina and carry more muscle that I have EVER carried before in my life. You CAN do it on your own, don't let anyone tell you you can't. Now if you choose to get some professional advice to optimize the training then that's your call. Don't let some stupid b@stard make you think he's gods gift to out of shape people.

I'd advise going it alone using any number of plans you can get for FREE. Wait a few months and if you aren't getting the results you want THEN try again for professional advice.

Don't let someone like him affect you in anyway. If you want a trainer use someone else. Have you checked you tube on what some sleevers have done? My husband says to buy some weights to have at home for your arms. Not heavy ones but some to where you feel a pull and work out your arms. For your stomach...squats, push ups, sit ups, and lunges. Make sure you keep drinking Protein to keep the muscle toned. One day at time. And we are here if you need anything.

Most gyms will show you around your first time to make sure you know how to use the machines. Then I would do like others above said and just get a plan online. Remember, less weight and more reps for women, so you get those long muscles and less bulk.

I'm recently been recovering from a broken elbow that had to be pinned so I made use of my physical thearapist for all my questions. He said for toning use lighter weights (5-10 max) but more repetitions.

I would have read this "trainer" the riot act. Trainers serve a very good purpose, when they do their jobs. This guy was not doing his job. I would first complain to the gym manager about him. If something isn't fixed, I would find another gym. When you call the gym, tell them you had wls, and are looking for a trainer that has worked with others that have had wls.

You should report the trainer to the gym owner and look for a new trainer if you want to use a trainer or need help learning to use the gym equipment. What a doofus this guy is!

I use a trainer because I wasn't in good enough shape to attend group exercise classes and I won't work out on my own. I'm down to one session per week with the trainer and two group exercise classes now and I'm probably going to give up the trainer and go to three group exercise classes to save money. I also walk 2-3 days per week.

My trainer has been nothing but supportive through the whole process. She knew how hard I tried to lose weight and how important it was to me to get to a healthy weight.

Lynda

LOL!!! This guy is full of comedy!

I do my workouts on my own every single day, 6 days per week. I workout hard too, to the point I almost want to throw up sometimes. I am able to push my body to the limits, and I don't need no one else to get me there. Let alone some crazy man telling me lies and trying to charge me a mortgage payment to do it.

Yikes. Run away fast!!

I agree with Rootman, try it on your own, you and your Husband. I think you two can work together to train. If you have to watch some DVD's and pick up on how the trainer talks to you, motivates you... then try that on each other at the gym. :)

That trainer is just full of crap. Judgey McGee! -_- I would definitely report him and get another trainer if that's what you are set on doing. I find what motivates me the most in the gym is my music. I make a new playlist once a week and it drowns out all the stuff around me. I hope you find an awesome trainer! Good Luck!

Just ignore the goof. He's not going to build up a clientèle by offending people like that. Keep looking, perhaps a FEMALE trainer would be better suited??

BTW, I'm at 15 months out and have kept it off and go to the gym and swim 1 hour a day 5 days a week. I am in good shape have a LOT more stamina and carry more muscle that I have EVER carried before in my life. You CAN do it on your own, don't let anyone tell you you can't. Now if you choose to get some professional advice to optimize the training then that's your call. Don't let some stupid b@stard make you think he's gods gift to out of shape people.

I'd advise going it alone using any number of plans you can get for FREE. Wait a few months and if you aren't getting the results you want THEN try again for professional advice.

I just had this same thing happen to me today and basically the trainer made me feel like crap, saying things like your 24 and you cant even do such and such but w/e. Im a broke college student and I cant afford those rates anyway so jokes on him lol. Where are plans that you can get for free?

You are right about the wacky trainer--run as fast as you can in the opposite direction! I have been working with a personal trainer now for more than 6 years. Initially I went to a gym and now I have a trainer in my home. Even when I had the trainer 3 hours a week, it never came close to 1000 dollars per month, not even half that! I delayed getting a new car and used the money from a car payment to cover the cost. So I was driving a 15 year old car (LOL) that was in good shape, and just 3 weeks ago got a new one. I never lost weight from the trainers though, although I became a lot more fit! I hope you can find someone you like. My trainer has learned a lot from me and has a different attitude now towards obesity than when she first got me. It has been good for both of us! I wish you the best on your journey!

What a dork! Don't listen to him or let his uneducated opinions influence you at all.

Several years ago, I dropped from 189 to 155 and thought I would join a gym to help me get the rest of the weight off. At 5'6" and 155, my BMI was 24. Well, the "free" trainer they gave me for 5 sessions was a lot like your guy. He put me through a few tests to assess my fitness. He told me I was obese and that if I didn't change things up, I would die from obesity! This was after 30 minutes with me. He never acknowledge the weight I had lost and that I was trying to improve my fitness. He never asked me my goals. He gave me a generic plan and told me "it will be a long road".

I tried to push back and tell him that my goal was continued weight loss and toning. He just gave me a speil about dramatic changes. It was so discouraging. My husband (who is very fit and trim) wanted to go beat the guy up, but I just declined further appointments and tried to work out with my husband. Whenever that trainer saw me in the gym, he would make comments like "good to see you, but you aren't making much progress". Needless to say, I didn't go to that gym much longer.

I've decided to go back to a new gym near me & declined any personal training. I'm using the treadmill for now & walking for 30 minutes. As my confidence improves, I will start some of the other machines (I love the thigh ones!) and maybe join a class or two. I'm doing this for me and no one else!!!

Best of luck to you! Don't let anyone bully you into their plan or spending money for their way. You do it YOUR WAY!

They want ur money...I would take classes at your gym for free to tone up..total body workout @ LA fitness helped me with yoga weekly, I also like the madonna arm workout on youtube...Don't let assholes like that make u feel any less...Main reason I don't tell anyone ab my. Surgery everyone judges and hates except a few people and the people on this board....if u want a trainer u can look for a private one but honestly classes are just as good...

Greeneyedgirl....I can see if you are getting a personal trainer for motivation purposes, but if it's just to learn to exercise, maybe take in the opportunity to learn about different types of movements and exercises and save money and judgment from "jerks" and/or "jerkettes" like that. I've learned a lot through the process and I've really enjoyed doing research on my own and learning by trial and error. So if it's a technical thing in regards to exercise, would you be interested in learning about these on your own? I think I speak for most all of us on this forum that we will be more than happy to help, answer Qs and give you feedback on things we've tried. I would say first, outline your exercise goals, second, research and get started. Just make sure to ease into them at first if your body is not used to the exercises. The last thing we want is to jump right in and get injured or so sore that we don't want to go to the gym anymore. Also, Youtube is a good resource to learn how to perform certain movements or exercises. Also, here is a good link if you are wanting to learn about resistance training and the movements/lifts involved. Good luck and give us some feeback on how the personal training sessions are going or if you attempt to workout on your own. :)