Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal Trainer...yay Or Nay?

I know my limitations and one of them is my innate disdain for exercise. I know that's one of the reasons I'm in the shape I'm in but - I'm sorry - exercising just for the purpose of exercising is just plain boring! I have some physical issues that probably hamper my ability to be more active in general but I'm not sure if I'm just using that for an excuse not to exercise, either! I'm considering getting the help of a personal trainer to help guide me through an exercise regime and I wonder if any of you have done the same? I'm thinking maybe one guided session each week, because I know it can get very expensive. It probably wouldn't make exercise any more fun that what it is now, but knowing that someone would be following up to measure my progress might help keep me motiviated, kinda like a mini support group. Any ideas? If you are (or were) like I am about exercising and if you've done something personally to help get yourself on a program and sticking with it I'd sure like to know about it, too.

Thanks!

Ted

I've been using a personal trainer for a year now and I love it. He's great! He gets me, and he knows my limitations and works within them but pushes the envelope juuuuust a little.

Honestly, a trainer isn't going to motivate you any more than you motivate yourself, and as far as measuring your progress - you're not going to care if you don't progress because it sounds like you really have no desire to do the work. The main thing a trainer is going to do for you is show you what exercises to do in order to minimize the saggy skin, build muscle, and tone what's already there. But if you don't decide to get your butt in the gym no matter how tired, how long a day it's been, or what's on TV, you may as well just throw your $ out the window, because that's what you'll be doing.

Get yourself in the habit of walking every night or riding your bike every night, then once you've got the habit, switch it up and join a gym and THEN get a trainer. Until you have the habit, I wouldn't do it.

I don't know how helpful this will be but I will share my experiences. I actually do a variety of things. For two reasons: to keep it fun and to handle excuses. So I go to the gym but I mostly enjoy riding a bike, walks and hiking. I love taking walks and or hikes, especially on weekends, on different trails and parks. I make "dates" with friends so it's a social thing and we go out for a cup of coffee afterwards, not always. I sign up for events (like 5ks or bike rides) to keep me motivated. At home I have a treadmill and videos because if it rains or could not make it to the gym, I can still so "something at home." I also love music so I keep my ipod with a good, energetic play list to use for walking or just for movement at home. I too am looking into a personal trainer because I want to learn to use the weight machines at the gym. But I still have to try zumba and a few other classes that look interesting. I've attending kick boxing, weight/cardio classes and a few other and I also go to yoga. So for me, mixing it up is the secret. I just go for it. I don't worry about keeping up with the class or anything. I just join. And my staples are as above: walk, bike, hike... oh, and spin class when it rains or I don't get out :-) I love spin because of the music.

Okay, like I said. Dont know how helpful this will be. Alot of us struggle with this. You're not alone! Best of luck on your journey. You got this!!!!

I use a personal trainer to help me with strengthening my core so that when I do use the weight equipment, I am less likely to hurt myself. I see him l time per week and he gives me a set of exercises to do. I like what mnb sleeve saids about mixing it up. It keeps it exciting and helps with meeting with friends.

Wish you luck! Start exercise with a little at a time. ;)

I've been using a personal trainer for a year now and I love it. He's great! He gets me, and he knows my limitations and works within them but pushes the envelope juuuuust a little.

Honestly, a trainer isn't going to motivate you any more than you motivate yourself, and as far as measuring your progress - you're not going to care if you don't progress because it sounds like you really have no desire to do the work. The main thing a trainer is going to do for you is show you what exercises to do in order to minimize the saggy skin, build muscle, and tone what's already there. But if you don't decide to get your butt in the gym no matter how tired, how long a day it's been, or what's on TV, you may as well just throw your $ out the window, because that's what you'll be doing.

Get yourself in the habit of walking every night or riding your bike every night, then once you've got the habit, switch it up and join a gym and THEN get a trainer. Until you have the habit, I wouldn't do it.

Thank you, drill sergeant! :P I wonder, tho... were you always this athletic even before your surgery 6 weeks ago or is this reflective of the "new" you???

Thank you, drill sergeant! :P I wonder, tho... were you always this athletic even before your surgery 6 weeks ago or is this reflective of the "new" you???

Haha! Sorry, I tend to go gung-ho when I'm talking about something I'm passionate about.

To answer your question, I've always been this active. When I was in eutero my mom experienced a trauma that stopped the flow of Fluid to my thyroid. It caused a cyst that I had removed when I was 4 and after surgery when they checked my thyroid, I was told I would always have an underactive thyroid. So here we are! I'm also Italian and have an unhealthy affection for Pasta ;-)

I find it very helpful. There is also group training at my gym and that has been good too. Of course I lover swimming too, the suit not so much. :)

Well I admit I'm an exercise hater, but I do it. I find as the years have gone by, I hate it less but even now, without scheduled exercise events I know I wouldn't do it.

I have used a trainer for years. Having a trainer saves me from thinking about an exercise routine and I show up for exercise because if I don't she charges me any way!

Before I lost weight, I met with my trainer three times per week. I also walk with a group of friends 2-3 times per week. Now that I am thinner and can keep up a little better, I take two group exercise classes per week and meet with the trainer just once per week. I am thinking of dropping the trainer and taking 3 classes per week. It will be a savings of more than $100 per month.

So short answer is: My opinion is that exercise is important. If you won't go on your own, then a trainer is a good way to get started. After you get a little healthier, group exercise classes are cheaper.

Lynda

I also have hated to excersize, thought as long as i felt good, looked good, I didnt need to excersize. When i was at my 6 month check up w/ my dr, (after he scolded me for not excersizing) he explained it to me in a way that i finally get it. He said, even tho you look and feel good, when you were "bigger" your fat supported your bones, when you lose that fat, you no longer have anything to support your bones. You HAVE to excersize to keep those bones supported. Plain and simple, and I finally got it! Now i excersize 3 to 5 days a week here at home. I have a "Treadmill" and a "Total Gym System" I've been thinking of seeing a personal trainer to make sure I'm doing it right, but i havent done it quite yet.

I've never heard that about the fat supporting your bones. Makes sense though