Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Exercise Do You Do And When Did You Start?

My surgery is in 2 days and I'm nervous and excited. I am concerned about exercise. I have always hated exercise which is one of the reason I got this fat.

I know exercise is as important as dieting so I don't want to mess up the results of the surgery by being lazy. So, what is an easy way to start exercise (that I might like) and when can I or should I start?

I will be 4 weeks post op Monday and right now I'm walking on the treadmill 30-45 min at a time, and I bought some 3# hand weights that I can sit at my desk and do 25 reps of this exercise and that exercise for my arms thru out the day as I have time. When I go back to my Dr. around March 20 he will give me a release for "full" exercise and my 6 month FREE voucher for a gym that came with my surgery and 6 personal trainer visits. SOOOO I'm ready to try that...kind of scared but it will be a new fun learning experience I suppose :)

I will be 4 weeks post op Monday and right now I'm walking on the treadmill 30-45 min at a time' date=' and I bought some 3# hand weights that I can sit at my desk and do 25 reps of this exercise and that exercise for my arms thru out the day as I have time. When I go back to my Dr. around March 20 he will give me a release for "full" exercise and my 6 month FREE voucher for a gym that came with my surgery and 6 personal trainer visits. SOOOO I'm ready to try that...kind of scared but it will be a new fun learning experience I suppose :)[/quote']

Wow can I have the surgery where you did. Lol... How much weight have you lost

Had surg 2-6 total with the 1 week pre op liquids is 21# ... I can't figure out my PIN # to update my ticker LOL. I'm short 5'0" and weighed 205 initially lost a couple then did liquids, 195 day of surgery. Now 182. I would like it to be faster, but I just started exercising consistenly this week bc I have been tired from surgery and off work. Now I'm back in a routine since I'm back to work. I thought that was a nice touch, everyone who my Dr. does surg for gets the gym membership which is all connected to the hospital network where I work and had my VSG done. So I'm def going to take advantage of that to get it good shape by summer and my 20 year wedding anniversay Aug 28 :)

I just started walking and bike riding last week (4 weeks out) and it feels great to finally be active again. A friend turned me on to the smart phone app "ENDOMONDO" and it's been a lot of fun tracking my exercise and seeing a map of my routes. It's free and the GPS works great. Using this app in conjunction with "MyFitnessPal" has really motivated me and I'm seeing changes in my body every day! I was at about 700 calories per day, but I've increased it to 1000 since exercising. So far, so good!

Most folks find that right after surgery they are a bit tired. Having said that it is recommended that you start out walking...my surgeon's coordinator told me to start out with walking (also will help if you have gas/bloated tummy issues right after) and progress to anything that does not make me uncomfortable but no heavy lifting for about 6 weeks. I started going to the gym one week, 3 days after surgery and started with 30 minutes of walking at about 2.5 mph on the treadmill, slow and steady. I progressed up to 65 minutes on the hill setting for the extra cardio. However, as time has passed, I've pretty much stopped working out on the regular and just now getting back into the groove. I just found this workout that states good for working out in the office, but I figure you could workout to it anywhere you like. Here is the link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/health/workout-at-work/

WALKING (helps gas SOO much) for 6 weeks. Hit my 6 weeks on Weds then I will return to my gym and start lifting weights pretty excited! I started jogging this week and I like it- kinda shocked lol. I know with excercise I need to increase my Water and Protein Shakes. At this point, my concern is still staying hydrated and taking my Vitamins and Protein shakes. Losing weight isn't my priority because with doing what was stated I will be dropping pounds, I'm very concerned about staying healthy, hydrated and vitamin'd up.

I love to power walk. I do anywhere from 6 to 10 miles a day. When I first started 3 months ago I was walking slowly and doing about 3 miles and using 1# weights for my arms. Now like I said I am power walking and using 3# weights for my arms.

The only issue I am having is over doing it and then my body tends to build muscle instead of losing fat.

Not to take away from the original post but does anyone have any ideas on how to increase my fat burn on the treadmill. Right now I am walking at a 4.0 mph for like 2 to 2.5 hours with the 3# weights.