Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FUN- What diets have you tried ?

Though this might be fun to name some of the crazy and not so crazy diets you've tried.

Here's some of my own personal experiences with the diets I've tried:

Ayds (the chocolate diet chews of the 70's... lordy they tasted good, ate the entire box in one sitting LOLOL...they didn't work either)

The Grapefruit Diet (that makes me pucker just thinking about it)

Scarsdale Diet (there we go with the grapefruit again .... ick)

Susan Powter (eat carbs until you bust..... yep, thats what happened)

Deal-A-Meal (Richard Simmons.... probably the only diet I liked and stuck to...it actually taught me portions)

Weight Watchers (joined about 10 times....couldn't wait to get out of the meetings to hit burger king...but a safe and realistic diet nonetheless)

NutriSystem (1994 prepacked doggie food eeeeeeeeeegads ick...hope they got better since then lol)

Carbohydrate Addict Diet (2 meals almost no carbs but the third meal you could have a free for all.... and I did...but you had to eat that last carb meal w/in 1 hour... do you know how much junk I could stuff in w/in one hour LOL).

Atkins (been there, done that, can't do it again 100%....love blue cheese)

Fit America (pills that cost a ton of money, ate less carbs and the only thing I got out of it was less money in my bank account lol)

Mediterrian Diet (healthy way to eat but you need lots of time to prepare the foods... I'd like to eat this way again)

Phentermine (did good while on it but poof, watch it when you go off... not worth it imho)

Meridia (pffffffffffffffffft.... had gas all day long and tummy pain...what was I thinking?)

There are a few other ones I've tried from those infomercials...names escape me at the moment.

Well, here are mine off the top of my head:

Weight Watchers(many times, startin in high school)

The Diet Center

SlimFast

Diets from more then one doctor

Sancor(local program, lower carb, higher protein)

Prism

Weigh Down Workshop

Curves(both the diet and the workouts.)

Atkins

Grapefruit diet(and I HATE grapefruit)

I have done sooooooo many diets:

- over the counter meds (mostly a caffeine high causing heart palpitations)

- phentermine (took a dose and landed in the ER with a severely low blood pressure and super high heart rate... flushed those suckers)

- weight watchers (balanced & healthy program but I am not one to count points for the rest of my life and group meetings tend to bore me)

- nutrasystem (no the food is not better in my opinion... high is salt and meat dishes are fatty)

- LA weight loss (this one REQUIRES you to eat 2 of their candy bars a day... to the tune of @ 320-350 calories. Like I need to waste cals on candy????)

- Atkins (you better have good kidney function to tolerate this killer diet)

So many diets, so little success. My best success came from doing my own healthy eating plan... lost over 200 pounds but old habits resurfaced. I was banded before I regained it all... kept 90 pounds off.

• Atkins - followed the induction phase for a year, and lost a ton of weight on it, very quickly, but had too many side effects. Introduced carbs back to my diet, and gained the weight back even quicker than I lost it.
  • Don't remember the name of it, but every day at dinner you had to eat a cup of beets (barf), and 1 cup of vanilla ice cream every night for dessert.
  • Self-prescribed diet of 10g fat or less every day combined with 1hr + exercise a day, 5 days a week. Worked very well, but my willpower only held out for about 7 months.
  • Weight Watchers. Did it with my mother. Hated every second of it. Despised the weekly meetings.

That's about it.

started Dexatrim at 13

Slim-fast

Opti-Trim(Like Opti-Fast, but with one meal)

Medifast

Suzanne Somers

my own low-fat diet

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting with pleasure

Let sees, maybe we should do this in alphabetical order, lOL

Ayds, but I liked the caramel ones

Deal A Meal- still have mine, hoping will be a collector's item

Metabolife

Phentermine

Phen Phen

Grapefruit diet

Dexatrim

Trim Spa

Weight Watchers-about 6 times

Nutri System-about 4 times

Michael something another phase diet

I'm sure there's more but those alone would have probable paid for the trip to Mexico and the band.

Hehehe, I forgot about Dexatrim, I liked the original stuff that you could go all day and not eat anything when taking them... GOOD STUFF lolol, then they came out with a natural version and it sucks.

SlimFast.... that stuff always gave me a stomach ache??

Suzanne Sommers yep did that one too.... felt like I needed my own chef to follow that one.

Wheetsin..... beets & vanilla ice cream... now thats GROSS!!! sounds like I'd be on the potty all the time after eating that combo, ick. LOL

phen/fen(loved it easiest way i ever lost)

medifast(ok til i tasted foof agaianthe poof i was fat again)

metabolib diet center(they kept changing my goal weight got discourage and we all know what happen when we;re depressed)

merdia(couldn't tell i even took anything)

phen(where's the fen part)

nutrisystem

GOSH I COUKLD HAVE PAYED FOR MY BAND 3X OVER WITHALL OF THIS WASTED $$$$

Hmmmm...

Atkins

Herbalife?

Grapefruit diet

Cabbage Soup diet

Slimfast

various low-cal, low-fat diets

Dexatrim

Hoodia

Suzanne Somers

Weight Watchers

BAH!

Hey Mysherrijo....Was it Michael Thurmond's six week body makeover? Count me in for all of the above. Did anyone try to live through the "anal leakage" of zenical?? OMG that was horrid! I have to say that was a drug that I only had to take for a day to know it was NOT for me! Does anyone remember that stupid vegetable Soup diet stuff? You lived on just that "special made soup" for ever? Just wondering.

Very nice thread NJ, I hope I never have to ever worry about adding to the list again! :)

~Patti

Ive tried them all too..but th worst....

Zenical...I lost weight..and fast...but...what came out of my butt made life a misery. I never knew somthing so bright orange an oily could come out of a person.

I havent done a diet like any of those since my teens, back in the 80's. I did the Scarsdale diet a few times, and remember Limits? (or maybe they were an Australian thing?). Hey, great idea, lets replace an entire meal with a sweet cream filled biscuit!

They never work as everyone knows.

Although for the last week or two, Doug and I have been using up the boxes of Optifast sitting around in the cupboard. I'm eating a good Breakfast, a good lunch and a healthy afternoon snack and just having an Optifast shake and a big bowl of steamed veges for dinner, I'm still having 1200 calories a day or so, and finding that really really easy since I dont get hungry at night anyway. And finally my weight is moving again.

We'd been eating too much Pasta and rice at dinner time, so I think this is a reasonable alternative, although it could just as easily be a small piece of chicken, fish or meat as the shake I guess, but we're just using them up.

So teensy tiny 200 calorie dinner is working for us!

Gee, I didn't think my list would be this long - but I guess that's what you get after 18 years of dieting...

Anti-Candida Diet - kinda like Atkins - I can feel the heart attack comming on!!!

Atkins:mad:

Apple Diet - I invented this - only apples except for dinner time...

Bannana Diet - at $14 per kilo, not a cheap option in Australia right now...:)

Cabbage Soup Diet:rolleyes

CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet - a reasonable diet, if you lower the Protein slightly.:cry

Grapefruit Diet:sick

Israeli Army Diet - is that another grapefruit one???:cry

Jenny Craig - twice - Australia's version of diet doggie food:mad:

Lean Cuisine - every day for dinner:phanvan

Limits - Jachut, I liked the lemon cream ones best:rolleyes

Lite'n'Easy - home delivery meals, either diet or non-diet - healthy, balanced and yummy - still may be a convenience option post-band:nervous

Liver Cleansing Diet:tired

Liver Detox & Diet - foul herbal powders:p

Low GI Diet:cry

My own sensible eating efforts...:huytsao

Positrim - Amway's Meal Replacement drinks and bars:rolleyes

Raw food Diet

SlimFast - shakes & bars - yuck!:P

Weight Watchers - at least 6 times, I only lost weight the first time. Too many carbs in it for me I think.:cry

What to Eat When You're Expecting - not as a weight loss diet, but in an effort to stave off gest diabetes - now I hate wheatgerm!!!:D

You Are What You Eat Diet (Dr Gillian McKeith from the TV show):speechles

Xenical / Orlistat - the orange horror!!! Had to buy new underwear after that one. :scared: Tried it when just it was just new. My Doc now says it's a waste of time.:angry

...trading war stories & battle scars makes for a fun thread!:biggrin1:

I bet I have spent enough money on diets and such that I could have paid for my Master's Degree or my surgery....or BOTH! We all probably know diets don't work (they made me fatter!) but we always hoped for that perfect one! You want a really truly scary confession? I would have stayed on redux knowing that I could die of a heart attack because it worked for me and I lost so much weight I was under weight!! I guess the trade off was I would rather have been dead than fat?? I can't believe I would have thought that...it makes me sad! :cry

~Patti