Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Until Your Self-Image Changed?

After quickly losing a lot of your weight, how long did it take for your head to catch up with your body? How long until you realized... Hey! I'm not a fat person anymore!

I'm 21 lbs. to goal, and I'm a comfortable size 4 ( a 1980's size 10 ), but I can't judge my size when I go into a store and I haven't changed my profile photo because I still think fat and I don't get photos taken. I'm hoping this fear will prevent me from stretching out my sleeve. Best wishes

This is a great question. I'm down 70 pounds and I still look at myself the same way as before. Now I didn't have any self confidence issues before...so I'm hoping as the more compliments I get..the more I'll realize it.

That's a really good question! ;)

I would say I'm half-way there at one year out. Meaning: half the time I see the current me and half the time I see my old self in my head. I agree it is worse when clothing shopping. I just can't seem to accept that the plus size dept. doesn't work for me anymore. It's a good problem to have. :)

im 9 months out.......reached goal several months ago. i'm a size 2 now, but I still see myself as big. I'm wondering the same question. when you are big for a long time....years.....will i ever see myself as small?

I will be honest with my experience. I am 1 year 2 days post op. I have lost 69lbs, use to be 237lbs now at 168lbs. My self esteem is terrible! worse than before. I know I lost weight, but I don't see it. I still see the girl who was a 2X and not the girl who is now a 12-13. I don't feel thinner. I do feel lighter but I still see myself as a very big girl.

don't get why I feel this way... I feel very disappointed, I see so many girls/ladies who have had the surgery and they look so beautiful, but I don't see me like them. sighh

Great Question, didnt realise everyone thinks this aswell. My family and friends dont understand why i cant see how much weight i have lost

Totally agree. I'm only 3.5 weeks out, but have now lost 25 pounds. My friends and family gush about how great I look, but I honestly don't see it yet (other than in my face). Hoping the mind catches up with the body, because I want to ROCK this once blustery MN gets a bit warmer!! :)

I'm with Amanda on this...

I'm 19+mths out and half the time I see myself in a better way... and half the time I still see and feel fat! I think that as time goes on the percentage will change... and lets face it, I have a lot of time...lol. I don't 'hate' myself any more, so that is a good thing. I do think that once I get to goal that will mentally change things too.

Self esteem is such a personal thing. I know a lot of very confident people who are carrying a lot more weight that I am and they are happy with themselves regardless of some stupid number on the scale... that is my aim I think, self acceptance!

Jaspersgirl: It may be time to do some inner work on yourself. This has been a big change for you and your mind hasn't wrapped around the new body. I fear that you will gradually gain this weight back if you don't get help. You are a beautiful person and could benefit from seeing a therapist. Please get some help. You have come this far so let's continue on this path...... ;)

Jaspersgirl: It may be time to do some inner work on yourself. This has been a big change for you and your mind hasn't wrapped around the new body. I fear that you will gradually gain this weight back if you don't get help. You are a beautiful person and could benefit from seeing a therapist. Please get some help. You have come this far so let's continue on this path...... ;)

you are so right!! I have come this far so let's continue on this path!!! my self image is terrible. I don't want to regain that crazy ugly weight! thank you :)

I've run the entire gauntlet over the years from being morbidly obese, to obese, to fairly "normal" (very briefly, 20 years ago) and now back up to obese. I have never felt normal or thought that I looked normal. Even when at a normal weight, I'd look in the mirror and see myself the same way I always have. I think this is common among people who have been overweight for their entire life. This time, tho, I have a number of "before" pictures that I'll be able to compare to the "new" me after I get sleeved and then reach goal. I'm going to work at feeling normal and enjoying the benefits because I think that's a vital component of long-term success.