Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Sleeve Abroad

I am a 23, 5'3, and weigh 205lbs. I've tried diets from the age of 15 up until now. The healthy ones and the not so healthy ones, weight watchers, I was in the military for 4 years and the lowest I ever got was 180. This including a strict diet and working out twice a day. Obviously it's not working as I'm am scheduled for the surgery. On March 15th. On the 14th I will go to the hospital for some more pre-op test. So far I've done something like a ultrasound and I drank some horrible liquid and stood on a kind of rotating x-ray bed. Sorry for the vagueness as most things are happening in a different language. (Korean) Everything is looking so far so good. I'm not on any pre-op diet. I have no health issues so I will be self-paying. I've been lurking the forums and getting ideas. So far I've ordered a 6 pack of the Isopure grape frost, a 6 pack of alpine punch, a blender, Blender Bottle, and sample packets from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and nectar.

I'm living in South Korea right now as a military wife so I have sort of limited options. So I do have a few questions. My surgeon does the gastric sleeve by cutting out some of the stomach and then he uses plication. Has anyone had this done before? Also I will stay in the hospitals for 2 nights and then I will go home. My doctor says I can go back to work on the 19th. Is this feasible? I'm a elementary school teacher. But I only work 4 hours a day. I feel very comfortable with my surgeon and I know he's one of the best in the country. I look forward to getting sleeved and sharing my journey with others. :)

I'm happy that you're doing something to improve your life, but I'm thrown by what procedure you're having. It must be a new one, because I've never heard of sleeve with plication. I've only seen band with plication discussed. I doubt there's anything bad about that; it's just a procedure I've never seen discussed anywhere.

Congrats on becoming a sleever! :) Let us know, please, how things go. We'll keep you a nice warm spot on the loser's bench! :)

Teamthin,

I was stationed in South Korea for a year. Really liked it. I don't recognize the procedure you're having, either, but that doesn't mean much. Welcome! I am 100% happy with my sleeve.

I don't understand the surgery, either. I've heard of gastric plication where they fold and suture the stomach instead of removing it, but I don't know of any procedure that combines the two.

I'm a military spouse, too, and I completely understand not having a lot of options for surgery. I flew all the way from Germany to San Diego to use Dr. Aceves because doing it any other way wasn't a real option for me. I knew of no VSG surgeons in Germany that had enough experience to make me comfortable so it seemed my best best. I don't regret my choice one bit!

I didn't work, per se, but I did stay at home with two year old twins after my surgery. I was tired and a bit run down for about a week after surgery but I was fine after that except for some occasional discomfort on my side. I didn't even need pain pills after I finished my flights and was back in Germany. So I'd say it's possible for you to do it but you might need to really take it easy when you're not working until you heal.

I hope you have a safe surgery and a swift recovery.

~Cheri

Thanks for your replies. I actually really enjoy living here. I'm so scared and excited at the same time. I'm not clear on the procedure either so I'm going to talk to him next week when I go in for more pre-op testing. I was seeing where some people said there doctors oversew the staples. My surgeon used the word plication so maybe that's what he meant. Possibly? Maybe it was just a misunderstanding on my part. But I remember he said he uses this technique because it makes it next to impossible to get a leak. I'll get clarification and report back. :)

A plication is a slightly differant proceedure. They do not remove the stoma, but instead fold it into itself and sew it there. In theory it doesnt leak because it wasnt cut. However, the sutures can leak and there is some debate on the hormone ghrelin (hunger hormone) still being produce. In the non-plocation approach 85 percent of the stomach is actually cut away and removed. The the remaing is sew back together. In this proceedure the early stages are the time to be watchful for leaks. But it also remove the portion of the stomach that produces ghrelin. In my case i have not felt hungery sine may 10th last year. :-)

Good luck and wish you all the best. I've never heard of sleeve and plication mixed together either. I have heard of either plication or the sleeve. Personally, I feel that getting the sleeve is much better than plication. I read a report that the percentage of failures of weight loss after plication is quite a bit higher than the sleeve. Yes, definitely ask the questions. You are spending your money and investing your life in this procedure and you want the best ! Of course if you decide on this procedure it is your body and your life. I have seen some people who are happy with plication. If there is a combined procedure, I'd be very interested in hearing more about it because I've never heard of it.

And God bless you for your service and for your husband's service! I was an army wife before my husband got out and I know how stressful that lifestyle can be! Best wishes!