Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid I Wont Get In Enough Protein.

Im currently on Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes. I am honestly struggling getting all this in. Next week, I start full liquids. I am excited but also afraid I wont get in my Protein. If I am already struggling now, how will I do this? I am constantly full. If I over drink even a sip, I get sick. What if the smallest amount of apple sauce causes me to not have room for my Protein Shake? ?? I am seriously afraid to move on to phase 3. Maybe Im not ready (-_-)

I was almost ready tO post my own topic for this! Lol

I was able to move on to puréed food today and I was terrified. I am 2 weeks post op and I can say I haven't been able to get everything in either. I think most people can't at this stage and it is important to do the best you can as you can. Some days will be easier than others and those are the days you have to make it count. I was only able to get in about 2 oz of applesauce myself tonight.

One trick I've learned is to freeze my Protein shakes...it seems to go down a little easier as a slushie than a liquid.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I can commiserate. :0)

One trick I've learned is to freeze my Protein shakes...it seems to go down a little easier as a slushie than a liquid.< /div>

Slushie, huh??? Thanks, I'll give it a try :)

I didn't hit Protein and calorie goals with any real consistency until about 4-6 months out.

Your concern right now should be staying hydrated and eating (or shall I say, drinking) as much as you can. Your capacity will increase as you heal completely and you'll find that things get easier.

Don't fret - we all worry about this in the early days when we can hardly finish a shake or eat two bites of pureed Beans.

~Cheri

Take it one day at a time...it really does get easier as time goes by. I had a really tough time initially, and was super hard on myself. Eventually it all came together :)

It is very hard at first. I am almost 5 weeks out and am still struggling but I am getting there as far as getting the liquids and Proteins in. I am a big fan of Unjury Protein supplements, I use them everyday! They have a chicken broth one,that you can either make chicken broth out of,you can even use it to flavor mashed potatoes or put it in Soup or something. I make it into chicken soup and then mix some cream of chicken in it. It's so good. They also have an unflavored protein. It is beyond awesome and helps me get my required protein in alot. This morning for Breakfast I mixed one chocolate and one unflavored together with 9 ozs of ff milk,it was awesome and turned out to be 50 grams of protein! Then I basically concentrated on liquids for the rest of the day and took a few bites of scrambled eggs, then a little later 2 bites of cottage cheese with peaches,then for dinner I had some really tender ribs(2 oz) and steamed cabbage. You can mix the unflavored protein in almost anything! It's great in Soups, or in crystal light and Water, that way you're getting your Fluid in too. =) Sorry,I am always rambling about unjury lol,I'm just happy bc it is the only brand of protein I have tried that isn't nasty thick.and I can keep it down,hope this helps.

I'm about 2 1/2 wks out and I've had no problems getting liquids in since I got home from the hospital. No problems with mushies at all. Does this mean my sleeve is bigger, I'm healing much faster, or am I stretching my sleeve by eating/ drinking to much??

I kinda envy those who are tight.

I need to try that Unjury Protein. A lot of times I cant meet my protein requirements. However, I hate my Protein Drinks. I drink a lot of milk, maybe adding the unflavored would help me. Thks for the tip. I also do share the same concern about my hair falling out. I don't think I would look good in wigs (LOL).

today is day 4 post op for me,really having a hard time getting in all the fluids,milk that the drs wanted me to get.i got in 4 cups of water/chicken broth yesterday,and 3 cups of milk 1 was double protein.this morning im working on milk with a Protein mix about 20 grams,im gonna get this down before i drink water.i have been walking alot,and generally feeling better.how much output from the jackson/pratt did everyone get,this morning was about 25 cc,seems to be getting lighter in color.

Don't worry too much about getting enough Protein at first. I was on clears for the first week, then on full liquids, and THEN started Protein Shakes. It's just part of the process; it will get easier to get your protein in later. As far as the hair loss... I don't think there is too much you can do to prevent it post op. Some people have better luck than others, but mine started at about the 3 1/2 month mark. While I lose a lot of strands in the shower, it isn't really noticeable otherwise.

You mention eating applesauce. As far as I know there is barely any Protein in that at all. If I were you, I would not eat or drink anything that was not a Protein source in the beginning especially when you have such limited capacity. But I also wouldn't stress out if you can't hit the exact number they want.

For me personally, I could not get anywhere close to what they wanted me to get protein wise if I ate too much actual food. So I lived off of protein shakes. Atkins shakes mosty. Caramel Cafe and chocolate. They have 15 grams of protein in each shake. If you attempted to drink 4 of them in one day that would be 60. In reality, I could not even do that but I tried. I was constantly sipping . Sipping Water and sipping shakes. Still at 7 months out, I drink a ton of shakes to meet my protein requirements.

Do what works for you and don't worry too much. As time goes on you will have an easier time getting it in!

Oh about the hair loss... it happens to some people . Do your best getting in your protein and taking your Vitamins to avoid it but at the end of the day you may find it happens anyway. I did. It really freaked me out initially. However it was like shedding. I always had hair on my clothes. I would find a few clumps in my bra lol that had fallen out during the day. I would take a shower and it would come out in my hands. Yes it bugged me a lot but to be honest nothing I did made a difference in stopping it . I will say that it stopped. I never lost my hair to the point that anyone but me noticed it. And it seemed to start around 4 months out and stop around 6 months out. But even if it does, it will grow back.!

It gets easier as time goes on. My Doc told me to focus on fluids first and Protein second. You do not want to get dehydrated. I don't know where you live but if you have a Sams club they carry a Protein Drink called Premier Protein. It has 30g of protein and is only about 10 oz big. That is what I drink. I am 3 months out and I still get 90g of protein a day. I usually do not eat solids because I do not like the way food settles in my stomach, so I am still on protein drinks. It does get easier though believe me. I can drink big gulps and definetly drink a lot more than I could at the very beginning. When I was at your stage I still had trouble eating a whole popsicle, so don't worry. Things will be better soon, just focus on hydrating urself and take it slow. Good Luck.

Just wanted to add that I really like muscle milk. lol. I drink the chocolate flavored in light of course. It has 160 calories,4 grams of fat,and 20 grams of Protein. I think it tastes awesome. The regular has alot more flavors to choose from and has like 230 calories,8 grams of fat and 25 grams of protein,still not bad. Another alternative if you can't tolerate the shakes.< /p>

Hi everyone.. I don't think I'm meeting my Protein intake and Ian super tired ... I think I just answeredy question lol