Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Literally Just Got Started On My Journey And I Am A Bundle Of Nerves!

I just went to my first consultation last week. My next appointment is March 5th. I was going in wanting Lap Band but after discussion with the surgeon and lots of research, he sold me on the Gastric Sleeve. It seems like the way to go for me. That being said, my Mom and sisters, who took after my Mom's side and are very thin, are very against it and don't mind saying so, so having them be supportive isnt really happening. I have some support. My husband and children and a couple of friends are very with me on it. But, finding this site has made me feel even better since my husband isnt actually going through it, its kinda hard for him to totally relate. I have learned so much just by reading the posts on here. I am going to continue soaking up the info on this site and walk in to this as prepared as I can be! I just found out that my insurance just changed their policy on Feb 1st 2012, that no 6 mth diet is required now...I feel like all the stars are aligning...I am soooo excited to get this process going and I cant wait to post my surgery date on here!!!

I myself am new to this Site started using it yesterday and have been hooked ever since. I even download the app for my phone. I myself am waiting for them to schedule a date for surgery and hopefully it's fast... Looking forward to hear more about your journey

I recently joined the site (too late Im afraid) I wish I had found it 6months ago when this all started. It really does have a wealth of knowledge, but since Im so close to my surgery date I'm staying away from the negative posts. Everyone is different. BEST OF LUCK GIRLS.

When is your surgery? Please let me know how it goes!!

I don't have a date yet but I will definitely keep you posted

Good luck on your journey beautifulnewme! I am getting sleeved on march 13th. I didn't have to do a 6 month supervised but it still took a while to get here. Six months actually! Don't give up and let me know if you have any preop questions I can help with :)

Welcome! I just started on this site in the beginning of January when I started my own journey. It's definitely a great resource and there is a lot of support here as well. It is hard for people who have never been overweight or have never gone through this surgery to really relate. When I told my friends/family there were deifnitely some who were not on the bandwagon, but over the last few weeks I've had some great conversations. Sometimes it just takes awhile for people to come around. Those whose opinions I really care about are the ones where I've been bluntly honest on what my life has/is like. After hearing the "good, bad, and ugly" I'm glad to say that they're supportive now. Basically, what I'm saying is that your family may yet come around. Just give them time.

As for how long it takes to get cleared through everything, it seems to change from person to person. My first consultation was in the third week of January, and I only have an EKG (monday!) and a support group meeting (3/8!) left to go to before I'm all cleared. Time has flown by, though, and you'll be surprised on how quickly it does pass.

Good luck and keep us all posted on your journey!

~Lyra

Welcome. I just discover this site also. My surgery is 2/29 in less then a week which explains why I'm up at 4:30. My nerves seem to be in overdrive these days!!! Good luck on your journey. I started around mid December. Could have probably gotten a date sooner but took my time making all my appointments. Your family may change their mind after sugery when they see how healthy and happy you are. I'm the fatty in my family also and find that skinny people who can eat all they want and never gain a pound can never understand my weight issues.

I'm new on this site as well. I just had my appointment with my primary doc about the surgery. So he filled out the physician referral form n I need to turn it n plus the other forms. I'm scared n so many ways...is my insurance going to cover it, how to maintain the new lifestyle, will I have support, n it's surgery. I know it's not open heart surgery but still it's my first surgery. EVER!!!

If you guys don't mind posting your starting BMI's n how u have coped with the new life changes

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the comments and support! I am so glad I found this site. I am really hoping I can get this surgery done and over with by the time my kids get out of school for the summer. The one thing that could hold me back is the cost. I was told by my insurance company that I have a 600 dollar deductible and then the coverage is 80/20. I also have a cap of 3000 so I know I won't pay more than that. If its under 2000 that turns out to be my cost I could do it right away but any more than that and I might have to save a couple more months to do it.

Any posts on how much you guys had to pay would be helpful!!

NeNe, I totally understand what you are going through. If I hadn't previously had my gall bladder taken out, surgery would be scaring the %$*" outta me! I am still scared some, but knowing what surgery is like helps me...and on the other side of surgery is a whole new life!! Let me know how everything is progressing for you! By the way, I am supposed to be finding out from the insurance clerk at my surgeon's office what all my insurance requires and such on March 5th but I was anxious and didn't want to wait. I called my ins company and they told me everything I needed to know. You might give your company a call. It might help the nerves!!!

Wow! A whole thread of newbies! Welcome everyone!! :) You can find lots of information here about VSG and almost any question you can think of has probably been asked here, including the TMI questions! ;)

It's normal to be excited and nervous before the surgery, but there are tons of surgery stories here. There are also tons of posts from people who were scared or nervous before surgery. It's normal, but you are all on a journey to a whole new life! I was one who had lots of medical complications before surgery and I feel like I've been reborn since having VSG.

This board is my support group because my IRL one just doesn't do much for me. I hope it will be a great place for each of you to receive encouragment as well!!

Again, welcome to VST! Nope, I'm not the welcoming committe...just another member working my way to goal! :)

When is your surgery? Please let me know how it goes!!

I think this was directed at me but I had missed it! My date is this coming Wednesday, the 29th ! I hope everything works out for you. My insurance made me do the 6 month program before approval & they took almost 3 weeks to approve it. They dont make it easy for a reason! Best of luck

Any posts on how much you guys had to pay would be helpful!!

Your insurance sounds identical to mine. The hospital will allow me to make payments on my portion. Hour this helps

I work in a hospital and had my surgery at out bariatric center. They should let you pay out the remainder since u have what over half of what u mite have to pay OOP. These days hospitals are usually happy to wok with you esp. when it's a situation where the patient is ACTUALLY going to pay their bill unlike 75% of patients there for other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am just starting this journey! I go to my initial information session on 3/12/12. I am hoping that all goes well and I can proceed with the sleeve. I am glad to have this forum to read about everyone's stories.