Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The answer to why I'm not losing...

It's the doctor's fault! :omg:

I went to see my gynecologist for a follow up last week and asked her about the weight loss stoppage. She actually got red in the face and said "Oh I am so sorry, it's my fault!" "I knew you had your surgery and I shouldn't have given you those two Depo Provera shots". Huh?

Well, it seems that the hormones (evidently heavy duty) in the Depo shots (she gave me two within a month to stop spotting) coupled with the estrogen that is released when you lose fat has caused my problem. (estrogen is stored in the fat cells and unless you gained all your weight after menopause, we all have it stored in our fat cells). The good part is that it is self limiting...as soon as my body is free of the those hormones I will start to lose again and that since it's been over six weeks since the last injection I should be rid of the stuff soon, I hope. (I might start spotting again but that's another issue).

So, for menopausal or even some peri-menopausal women, the reason the weight comes off a little slower sometimes is the release of estrogen from fat cells. It doesn't stop the weight loss but does tend to make it slower in some but not all of us. It doesn't effect women prior to that because you are producing and using estrogen regularly for menstrual cycles, etc.

I feel much better understanding why this is happening...at least it's not anything I am doing. I told her what I am eating and she said that averaging 700 calories per day is fine (I went back over what I have eaten on FitDay for the past month and it averages out closer to 700) and won't stop me losing weight. She said there is no scientific proof that eating less calories will slow down your metabolism...because your metabolism works harder to break down the fat cells for energy. The body doesn't have a 'brain' it just has processes and if the body needs more energy than you take in it will automatically start to break down the fat cells to get the energy it needs. The process is complex and includes the retaining, using and excreting the Water the bodies needs to break down, use and eliminate the fat cells...so can be a roller coaster ride on the scales. That's her explanation, take it for what it's worth...one doctor's opinion based on scientific principles. Sometimes our bodies appear to have other ideas...LOL!

She did warn me not to eat more than I am now because then I'd gain weight...eeek!

This WLS is certainly an adventure !

Who'da thunk *shrug* well I'm glad you found out about it rather than beating your head against the wall.

The good part is that it is self limiting...as soon as my body is free of the those hormones I will start to lose again and that since it's been over six weeks since the last injection I should be rid of the stuff soon, I hope.
Holy cow, that must be SUCH a relief!! That's awesome news.

She said there is no scientific proof that eating less calories will slow down your metabolism...because your metabolism works harder to break down the fat cells for energy.

You know what? I've always wondered about that. Every dieter has heard about the whole "starvation mode" thing. But if there truly is such a thing as starvation mode where your body feels deprived and tries to hang on to every last calorie you take in, how do anorexics get so skinny?

I came back to delete this statement, as I certainly have no desire to offend anyone or group ALL people into one statement.

Of course, there are always medical reasons why some people cannot lose weight as well as others. I too have an obviously very slow metabolism, although I can't, without a doubt say that is my cause for not being able to lose my additional weight. I do know that when I take in less calories on a consistent basis and I avoid foods high in carbs, I lose. This sucks, cause starch is my favorite food group. :faint:

Please, to anyone my 'concentration camp' statement might have been offensive, I sincerely and most humbly apologize. We are all in this weight loss battle together, however, each and every one of us is an individual and unique person with our own unique demons, either physical or emotional.

Janey! I'm so glad you have your answer! Doing everything you can to lose weight, and then not losing will drive you crazy. Hormones out of whack really will mess with you.

I think the real question is "why don't anorexics die faster?"

No obese people in concentration camps. I totally agree with your doctor. Your body WILL lose. The starvation mode theory seems pretty much a crutch to me.

So sorry, I have to disagree. If your hormones are screwed up, then you probably won't lose weight, especially if you have really high cortisol.

My body WILL NOT lose.

Hey Vines,

does your doctor know what the deal is? I know you've been having trouble but I haven't been following all the details. Are going to work on regulating your imbalance or did they just shrug and give up? If they did, that's pretty rotten.

Thank you all for the support! :love:

think the body does everything it can...including using organs for energy until the last possible moment and then the heart goes and anorexics eventually do die. So, sad...they are our mirror images so I have lots of compassion for them. We don't see how fat we 'were' and they don't see how skinny.

Your doctor disagrees apparently with the hundreds and thousands of other medical experts who will tell you that you body will go into desperation mode with too few calories.

You will continue to lose weight but it will be weight from everything....fat and lean muscle. The point of maintaining calories in the right ratios and at a high enough level is to try and maximize the weight loss from fat and minimize the lean muscle loss.

This has been proven over and over in numerous medical studies......If you do some research you will see.....that your doctor is not in agreement with the majority.

Also...if your doctors theory is correct....then estrogen wouldn't affect your weight loss any more than the amount of calories would affect your metabolism.

So Glad To Find This Thread I'm Really Losing So Slow And Can't Figure Out Why But My Very Old Dr Started Me Om Hrt 1 1/2 Yrs Ago And Is A Once A Month Inj I Give Myself And I Had One The Week After My Band Which Was 3 Weeks Ago

My Calories Have Been Between 800-1200 Per Day Usually On The Lower End I Been Trying Hard To Get And Keep My Protein Up But The Weight Is Just Not Coming Off Only 14 In The 3 Weeks Since Surg And 2 Weeks Pre Op

Thanks For Sharing

Susan

Hi Vine,

so what you are saying is that...if you have hormone problems..you wont loose weight? I have really high testosterone...and thorough all my research I never saw where hormones play a factor in weight loss. I would love anymore info you have.

Thanks!

Hmmm, this is something for me to think about. I have been on a plataeu from hell for over 6 months, not losing not gaining just not.... I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I have had fills, I exercise, I eat right just nothing....I will have to bring this up with my doc and see his thoughts on it.

I've been on depo for years (birth control) and my new family doctor recommended I go off it for bone density reasons. But she also mentioned that going off depo would also help my weight loss so I'm approx. 1 month without depo in my system. It's going to be so strange to have a period after all these years without :-(

Vines

Isn't Cortisol A Hormone. I Went To Adiet Dr Last Year And He Ran Some Test On Me One Was A Thyroid Test And He Said I Had A High Level Of Thyroid Which I Think I Understood Is A Type Of Hormore And And I Think I Remember Something About Cortisol Being A Hormone Too