Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ive never been much of a drinker. im the type that has a social drink 2 or 3x a year. when did you have your first sip of alcohol? when did your dr say it was ok?

i asked my nurse practioner and she told me to wait a few weeks because my tummy just healed from a leak. i wasnt going to drink anyway but i was just curjous if i had an ok.

i was just thinking this myself, wondering hmmm, can we have a drink or 2, i am the same very social drinker, mostly in summer at the lake, i know we are to stay away from fizzy drinks, but a nice wine would be nice.

I was advised to wait three months, if memory serves me. I had a very small sip for a toast at 4 1/2 months or so. I had my first "glass" of wine (which was about 2 to 3 oz) at around month 6 or 7. Like you, I'm not really a drinker but on occassion I do enjoy to sip on a glass of wine and it seems to be okay. I just don't drink when I eat. It's usually when dining out and waiting for my meal (after I had at least a glass of Water LOL).

There are two answers for this. Medically, your nurse practitioner is correct. Emitionally, why go down that path? Alcohol is a slider with nothing but empty calories. No nutritrional value at all. I'm like you, 2 or 3 times a year I would socially drink. I think I waited a year and was almost to my goal weight before I allowed myself to have a drink. I didn't want allow anything between me and my goal. But I'm probably a little overboard of this :) .

im afraid to drink now since i just healed from a leak & had my stent removed monday. i was just allowed foods yesterday after a month without eating.

at the sametime, im young (23 which is no excuse to drink lol) & fresh out of a 10yr abusive relationship & i want to go out & have fun & meet ppl! im also not much of a dancer and was hoping some liquid courage will have me letting loose a little at a club or something.

just my honest reasons. i def am not going to do it anytime soon out of fear of my healed leak but i def wanted to know for future references:)

wow, I would like to know, the answer to that too, I'm going out to a very special party tomorrow night, and would love a sip of something grown up, but I'm only a little over two months out, and I most likly will sip Water, but boo whoo, I want to chill for the night too, lol

just would be nice to know if we wanted we could, i probably will stick to Water till i reach my goal,, but mind over matter if told we can not, then what happens , we want, have to look at big picture the thinner newer us,

I am a drinker - not everyday - but I enjoy wine, beer and vodka (separately) on social ocasions. I am six weeks out. I tried red wine - it tasted heavy - white wine - tasted bitter - opted for a vodka on the rocks with lemon. I sipped it all night long; with drinks of water; did not get wasted or buzzed - but sat at the bar with the drink and relaxed.

The sleeve was my choice because it allowed me to live my life well - by cutting down and not out. Not out to be skinny - just healthy

Alcohol is on my surgeons No Forever list.

My doctor's told us that drinking alcohol is a no no. They reported that our stomachs are greatly reduced and is absorbed at a much faster rate and that people have died with WLS from drinking alcohol. Now was this a scare tactic or what? I don't want to risk it. But on the other hand, I might take a sip here and there. Why not? ;)

I enjoy a glass of wine sometimes and waited 3 months before trying it. At first it felt very harsh on my stomach so I only had a few sips. I also noticed that the tiniest amount went strait to my head and I was drinking it VERY slowly. I mean half a glass had me feeling loopy! At 6 months out, I can enjoy a glass every once in a while without it bothering my stomach. My tolerance is up but still at the point where one glass is enough for me so I don't drink more than that. Yes, it's empty calories, but I'm very close to goal and its an occasional treat.

I am 2 months out and have tried wine. It didn't hurt my stomach and I sipped it real slow. But to be honest, I dont think I will enjoy drinking anymore. It doesn't give me the same feeling it used to. Just makes me REALLY tired. I'm afraid to try anything else. Vodka used to tear my stomach up, so I'm not sure I should attempt it, and I dont think we are supposed to drink beer. And of course, no drinks mixed with pop. so that leaves me with NO options! LOL! I'm ok with that since I dont get that "buzzed" feeling from drinking. I guess thats a good side effect, since we dont really NEED to drink!

see i hate alcohol but sometimes we need to let loose! lol. i drink strawberry daqs because i cant tolerate the taste of alcohol or even the smell. it needs to be in a frozen drink.

but i swear, i really want that liquid courage for that club night. i know ppl who drink with WLS and get pissy drunk. i dont want all that. i want a nice buzz.

see i hate alcohol but sometimes we need to let loose! lol. i drink strawberry daqs because i cant tolerate the taste of alcohol or even the smell. it needs to be in a frozen drink.

but i swear, i really want that liquid courage for that club night. i know ppl who drink with WLS and get pissy drunk. i dont want all that. i want a nice buzz.

I haven't drink in ages,maybe if I have a little sip of wine or something I will see the stars and the space LOL