Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last night I noticed that both of my ankles were quite swollen; this morning they were more swollen still, to the point that when I press on them the indentation remains (pitting edema). I've only ever had this when I was in the third trimester pregnant with of my children, never at any other time.

I am about to start my period, but I've never had this as a PMS symptom before - a feeling of being bloated, yes, but not pitting edema.

My nausea has finally waned, and I'm feeling great, and now this. Ugh. I'm drinking quite a bit of Water (around 50 oz, not counting herbal tea and soups). What could it be? Anyone experience this? Perhaps it's not even sleeve related, but it seems a big conicidence.

what is your sodium intake like? That can really have a huge impact on it.

A call to the doc might be warranted - typically, swelling will go down overnight with sodium intake being high. You might want to have this checked out.

Mean while, elevate you legs to help bring the edema down. Let us know what the doc says please. ;)

I agree it would be the amount of sodium that you are taking in the with Protein Shakes and with the Soups especially. I would definitely be calling my primary care and alert him to this as you may need to watch your salt intake or possibly get on a medication to help get rid of this excess Fluid. Seems strange that you have not had this problem before.

I doubt it's sodium. I am eating a tiny fraction of what I used to eat pre-op, and most of it is low in sodium. Even when I was eating a LOT of salty foods I never had edema - why all of a sudden now?

I haven't travelled recently either.

Ophelia, Call your doctor. I think it's probably that you aren't getting enough Water, strange as that may sound. However, it's a good idea to consult with your doctor. Swelling in the legs, feet and ankles can be a sign of serious things like heart failure and high blood pressure. Always better to know and remove the doubt than to worry needlessly, IMO.

Please let us know what s/he says. :)

This could be totally unrelated to the sleeve - and very serious. Please contact your doctor.

Not to alarm you because I'm no doctor, but the only time I had pitting edema was during an acute renal failure in 2009. I was hospitalized for over 2 weeks while being treated. It was out of the blue and thankfully my kidneys went back to functioning fine. I still have some insufficiency, but nothing that warrants any diet changes or talks of further treatment. I am sure to see my Nephrologist every few months for routine blood tests to make sure nothing has changed. So far, everything is great.

By NO MEANS am I saying that this is the only cause of edema, because there are many things that can bring that about. But I would surely call my doctor ASAP. Like Pookey said, it could be totally unrelated to your Sleeve. Please keep us posted.

Pitting edema is often times connected to embolisms, renal failure, heptatic failure and even heart troubles. Its definitely something that you need to have checked out, especially if you have ruled out the obvious "easy" answers like sodium, injury, etc.