Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anybody know why you can't drink coffee after being sleeved?? I have started drinking coffee about a month ago and its truly a life saver for work and giving me energy in the afternoon for family time.

I am still consuming my Water and eating right, but i like to enjoy a hot cup of joe with sf and ff Creamer and splenda. Is that so bad?

I wasn't given a specific time frame, but when I asked my dr he said coffee even Decaf contains acids which are hard on our stomach lining. The reason most choose decaf is because it's less dehydrating.

He said to me that I should avoid it for the first few weeks but after that a cup a day is acceptable and if I can't stand sf creamer then I am to try to limit my creamer to a tablespoon.

I'm only a week and half out and can't wait to et back to my coffee. But my peppermint tea with a cough drop (yep drop it right in and it soothes my tummy bubbles) feels really good and gives me the closest enjoyment to my coffee I can have right now.

One more suggestion... Switch the Splenda for Stevia. My dr was very very pushy on no artificial sweeteners as they erode our tummy!!! The Stevia isn't bad, so maybe try that too;-)

Caffeine makes us hungry. It's also an irritant for our stomach lining as stated above. I tend to avoid caffeine due to not wanting to get hungry. ;)

My doc allows ONE cup of coffee a day once you get home, or maybe after a couple weeks. I use Truvia (made from stevia) and SO Coconut milk coffee creamer. It's not dairy, and it's not fake nasty stuff either. Coconut products are very good for you, and this is low in everything we need to stay low in. I find it at Sunflower market here in Albuquerque.

Yes the acid in coffee is bad, bad, bad - but coffee is soooo gewd! I have finally fell victim to it again. In very small amounts! I have them put it in the 4oz cup they keep behind that counter. It sounds odd, but try about 1/4 tsp. of baking soda to 8-12 oz. of a very blond roast and see if that helps. Some say it changes the taste too much, some doesn't notice.

Caffene is a diuretic, so it can dehydrate you fast!

Tons of sleevers drink coffee and many surgeons are ok with that. Some are given coffee at the hospital! Like others said it is an irritant and some get hungry, but for some there are positive things like you mentioned, such as energy. To some it helps go to the bathroom easier, if you know what I mean. :)

My surgeon didn't allow caffeine the first month but since my acid reducers were not working properly at the time, I waited longer to start my espressos. Now I add Water to them (Americano) to make them less strong and I don't drink everyday. In another words, whatever works for you,but keep in mind that it is an irritant and it makes some people hungry. :)

My surgeon allows coffee after 30 days. I just started having a small cup in the morning around my 5th week. So far I am doing fine with it, but drink a much smaller serving than I used to.

I was allowed to have coffee in the hospital, but no cream or sugar. Of course I was only able to get down maybe one tablespoon or so. The surgeon suggested one cup per day after that.

Now I have one cup per day. I add a scoop of chocolate Muscle Milk to cooled coffee for 16g Protein. That's without any cream, sugar, or sweetener.

I don't feel hungry afterward, maybe because of the scoop of Protein.< /p>

I was given coffee in the hospital and I drink at least 3 coffee drinks a day to no ill effects. I definitely keep a close eye on the dehydration factor, but my coffee keeps my brain running at optimum levels (I feel), allows me to get in a little milk (which I hate otherwise), and is just a delicious thing in life. :-)

That all being said, follow your doctor's orders! We're not all alike, and those rules do exist for a reason.

They gave me Starbucks coffee, black of course, in the hospital. I thought I was in Heaven! I am almost 4 weeks out now and drinking about 2 cups a day with a tablespoon of half and half and some artificial sweetener. No problems here. I specifically asked about coffee before I decided on whether to do my surgery or not. I think it would have been a deal breaker for me if I could never have my coffee again!

I have always said I would give up sex before I would ever consider giving up my coffee! That being said, when I met with the nutritionalist I was told I would need to go to Decaf until 3 months after surgery..You have got to be kidding!!! Well I have been on decaf for a month and my surgery is this Monday! YIPPEE :) But I did have my last class yesterday. 4 hours long and met with the whole staff and finally got to meet my surgeon. Love, Love him!! I told him the only thing I really missed and the one thing that has been most difficult with the pre op diet is giving up my caffeine...He said "well that's one thing in our program that we aren't so concerned about." and he went on to say "we all need that lil kick in the morning you know!" I bout fell over dead. and to top that off I never thought to ask him how much I could have. Kicking myself in the A$$ now...I am used to drinking 4 cups in the morning. So what I am going to do is just one cup. With the sipping we have to do that cup will last me an hour and a couple of warm ups in the microwave!! :)

I heard it caffeine was dehydrating too. I've been mixing 1/2 cup Decaf and a 1/2 cup regular and then adding 1 cup of unsweetened soymilk (to get the Protein there.) In a roundabout way, I guess I consider the decaf hydrating and the caffeinated dehydrating...so they balance each other out. Something funny...and I'm sure this has happened to the best of us....I went to starbucks today and got a medium iced 1/2 caff coffee with soymilk. Yeah....I never thought the medium was that big before surgery....wholly cow!!! I got about 1/4 of it down and I was full. I've never saved coffee before...but its going in the fridge and I"ll drink it tomorrow. lol.....oh how things change!!