Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have surgery on 04.09.2012:)Is there anything i can do to prevent Hair loss? ?? how much of a problem was it for you guys???

My surgeon told me that it happens to about 20% of patients. He said that there is not much you can really do about it. It happens because of the drastic weight loss in a short amount of time. It is temporary and will grow back. I am really concerned about this as well. My surgery date is April 4. I guess the best thing to do is to just mentally prepare that it may happen.

The hair loss is because of the traumatic experience your body goes through during surgery. While under general anasthesia, your body basically goes into shock which can damage the hair follicles. I lost more hair after my knee surgery two years ago then I did after my sleeve. I have lost some hair after all of my surgeries where general anasthesia was used but the knee surgery was by far the most severe and I have no idea why.

Everyone is different. Some people who have never had surgery before WLS always blame the lack of Protein. I have proven this theory otherwise because my Protein increased dramatically after surgery and I still had breakage (which is not loss). People who think they see the regrowth are actually seeing the hairs that were broken. I had breakage at different lenghts (most near the scalp) but it wasn't enough to make me freak out. No one could see the difference except me and the only difference I noticed was in the thickness. The breakage started around three months after all my surgeries and stopped in my 9th month post op (a 6 month period). I shed for about 15 months after knee surgery.

Everyone has their own experience though. Good luck to you and I wish you all the best (and little to zero hairloss).

“Systemic anesthesia has a profound effect on the body. As you would expect, it pushes the individual into a state of unconsciousness and relaxes muscles. Anesthesia also affects hair follicles. Hair follicles contain cells that are some of the fastest dividing and developing cells of the body. They have to divide fast to maintain the growth of hair Fiber. Anesthesia blocks this rapid cell division. While the application of anesthesia to an individual may only be for a few hours, the hair follicles may be affected to such a degree that they shut down hair Fiber production and enter a telogen resting state. A telogen effluvium type of Hair loss is the result.” {Source: Desai SP, Roaf ER. Telogen effluvium after anesthesia and surgery. Anesth Analg. 1984 Jan;63(1):83-4.}

My sink clogged, my tub clogged, and my vacuum cleaner broke...I started wearing extensions (hair clips) and it was fine. It's come back, and it was SOOOOO worth it :)

I have very thick hair . . . I'm hoping it won't be so noticable if it happens to me. But if it does, I'll probably do the extension route too :D

I'm dreading this myslef. My hair is fine and I don't have tons. I feel like it hasn't come back entirely after the post-partum shed back in 2009!

My surgeon says there's nothing you can do. It usually starts around 3-4 months out from surgery and lasts 3-4 months. Then, your body starts to grow it all back. People talk about taking Biotin and other supplements but I've heard these just cause more hair where you don't necessarily want it thicker and the difference on the head isn't much if at all.

I have very thick hair . . . I'm hoping it won't be so noticable if it happens to me. But if it does, I'll probably do the extension route too :D

I had very thin hair to begin with...if you have thick hair you are actually going to love it! It will just look like you got it thinned out. Well that's what I've seen with people with thick hair anyway.

THANKS!!!

I am currently 4 months post op. The first three months my hair was not falling out but the weight is coming off so fast that now during the past 3 weeks it's really falling out like crazy. It's actually freaking me out but I'm trying to stick with my high Protein Shakes and Biotin Vitamins. Start taking this before and after you have your surgery.My doctor says that it will last at least 6 months. Even with this happening I don't regret having this life changing surgery.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches