Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I Have To Rush To Do My Sleep Study?

I want to know if I have to rush to do my sleep study. My surgery is not till July or Aug. I'm worried that I will be surprised with bad results from the sleep study. I don't think I have sleep apnea, I sleep all night long without any issues I know of and my husband says I don't snore. But I have read that some people r totally surprised and then have to wear the machine to sleep. Since my surgery is so far away I don't want to get stuck with the machine for the next 6 months. What are the doctors looking for with the study other than if you have sleep apnea or not?

Restless leg syndrome for one. I had a sleep study a couple of years ago. I do have sleep apena. I love my machine (some people would call me nuts) but they have come a long way! I know that because hubs was diagnosed over 10 years ago and had an old machine, mask, etc. He did another study when I did mine and he got a new and improved machine as well. I sleep fantastic and my restless leg is in check...

If you have no symptoms and your doctor requires a sleep study I would question it. I wouldn't do a sleep study unless there is a very valid reason. There are tons of people here that had this surgery without a sleep study.

I did have symptoms so I asked for one and sure enough it was severe. I wouldn't have gone through the expense and trouble without good reason though. Please let us know what your surgeon says. I am curious.

My PCP signed paperwork that I had no signs or symptoms of SA and that he was confident in recommending me for surgery without it! I didn't need the study because of that :)

I am having my study done on Saturday and am just beginning my 6 month physician supervised diet. I am doing mine asap for an insurance reason. The sleep center is recommended by the surgeons office. They will accept WHATEVER AMOUNT your insurance pays as payment in full. I have a max out of pocket of 2200$ As an out of network facility I would have a $500 deductible and 30% of the bill to pay. I won't have to pay any of that but it will show on my insurance as an out of pocket expense. :D I also don't sleep well at ALL. I would love a full night's sleep. My husband says I wake up startled a few times a night and I wake up to the point of realizing I have to pee. I am very curious to see what comes back and would not be upset if i ended up with one of those machines. Just wonder if you own it or lease it... Sorry about the italics. I have NO IDEA what I hit. :o

Just wonder if you own it or lease it...

Your insurance will determine that.

I also didn't mind getting a machine. I had forgotten what it was to wake up refreshed and ready to go. They are sometimes hard to get used to, but your attitude will help you greatly! :)

My bariatric surgeon ordered a sleep study for me based on the questions I answered truthfully, though I didn't think I had sleep apnea. Ten years ago I had a tonsillectomy and pharyngectomy, in which they cut away a large part of my soft palate. I have a ton of room back there, so I was the most surprised person in the world when the tech woke me up 2 hours into the study and told me I "met the criteria" for sleep apnea. He put a CPAP on me and I slept well the rest of the night and woke up refreshed for the first time in a long time. I haven't yet returned to my PCP but I'm seeing him on the 29th and expect he will probably prescribe a CPAP machine for me. I know I've been getting unnaturally tired and sleepy during the day. The study was a piece of cake, though, so keep an open mind and roll with it. Good luck.

Good luck getting that sticky stuff out your hair. I think its a money making ordeal myself. I have a Resmed autopap 25. I been having my machine for awhile. I have used it less than 35 times lol. Its a complete aggrevation for me as it wakes me up more than I sleep. Plenty of times I have ripped it off my face. Like I said good luck on BOTH your studies cause more than likely you have severe sleep apnea just like me.

I did the sleep study and had minor sleep apnea. Since it was minor I did not have to use the CPAP machine. I was really excited about that. :)

Luckly I had had my sleep study prior to my decision to have WLS and they accepted the results. They and you want no complications of course. Well if you stop breathing during surgery or right out of surgery like us Sleep apnea patients do it could pose complications .The anesthiea doc will use the settings from your study to set his equipment during the surgery and the surgen also studies the results prior to surgery so he will know what he has to contend with while he is doing his work.

I suspected I had Sleep Apnea cause when i had "sleep overs" they would often shake or nudge me while i slept. I just thought it was cause I snored, they would reply No you stopped breathing . I said yea right. Truth is I was getting no true sleep, I was awaking tired sometimes just as tired as I fell asleep. Tea the sticky stuff and all the wires I thought there is no way I will sleep. lol I was asleep in 10 minutes. 15 minutes went by then I had clos to 400 episodes as the call them where I was gasping for air, My oxegen level dropped to like 40%, then about 5 am why body would would finally rest as it was just drained from the fight. Yes the machine is a pain in the A$$, however once you get useto it you will get the best sleep of your life. My son now comes in to check I fell asleep with it because he even notices the change in moods and energy when I awaken with the mask. I do tross and turn while i sleep so sometimes I do manage to lose the dam thing by when I awake by on the other hand when I awake with it on I smile cause I know its goona be a great day.

My PCP set me up with a sleep study clinic that was not on my insurance preffered group, However the accepted what ever my insurance paid and nothing from me. Wow I thought cause I know what they billed the insurance was astronomical.

I had to do the 6 month supervised diet and they didnt care when I did the study as long as it was prior to my two week preop class.

I am not trying to convince anyone that the study is a must, but your bed buddy will know your sleeping habits and if they say you sleep like a baby I can understand the doubt as to whether the study is neccesary.

sleep study done...I did it last night,and I didn't have to be put on a cpap machine..woohoo.... It was like the worst night of sleep though. I could not get comfortable and the 2 different nasal canulas up my nose didn't help. I could bearly breath. But one more thing done and off the checklist!

I also thought it was the worst night sleep too! I couldn't sleep with the things in my nose & having to pull the wires every time I turned over (I toss & turn a lot!). Twice the nose thing came loose or wires came loose & they had to come in & adjust them again.

It wasn't bad getting the sticky stuff out of my hair though, that was no big deal at all.

I didn't have any apnea, but had something where I wake several times every hour & they had no idea why! Great, probably why I am tired all the time then!

I read somewhere that 70% of overweight adults have sleep apnea. I was surprised to find that I have sleep apnea. My apnea seem to happen in my REM sleep so I had to come back for the CPAP titration. The machine is the best sleep I have ever had. I haven't gotten my machine yet but I will probably get it next week. I checked into the reasoning via google and there is some correlation between sleep apnea and mortality rates of Wls patients. I want to be here and it's why I am doing the surgery so any extra precautions are fine with me. the Bariatric Coordinator told me I had to do it before she applied to the insurance which is why I did it first. I think it may have been used as a comorbidity for me since I don't have diabetes or hbp.

When i left the sleep study the nurse didn't remove all of those sticky sensor things so i had to tear hairs out pulling them off when i got home and yea, not the best sleep in the world...BLESS.

The main reason why they want you to have a sleep study is to rule out sleep apnea. The fear is not during surgery (as the anesthesiologist controls your breathing) but during recovery. As you are rather doped up you can stop breathing and you won't wake up. That's why you must bring your CPAP with you to the hospital for the surgery. I was hooked up the minute I got into recovery.