Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Those Who Are Blessed With No Hunger

How long after your surgery did you know you no longer had hunger? I'm 9 days post op and have read on here that the acid reflux can mask as hunger. So, how or when did you know you no longer had hunger?

Because I'm still hungry. Even though I'm not eating (drinking full liquids) more than I should, I'm still hungry. I hope it'll go away.

I'm 9 1/2 weeks out, and I get hungry. It's not the ravening monster that it used to be, and my stomach doesn't growl, but I do get a gnawing sensation. Keeping my Protein high really helps. At this stage, if I feel hunger, I eat. I'm still only taking in about 500 - 700 calories a day, and losing slowly, but steadily. Thanks to the sleeve, hunger doesn't scare me anymore. I know it for what it is: My body needs fuel. And that's what I give it...protein, not carb. Carb just creates a vicious cycle of low-blood sugar, which, in turn, drives the hunger.

I didn't experience hunger for serveral weeks. Now at over 8 months out, like the poster above, I get a gnawing sensation, but only when I don't eat for several hours. When I'm getting my fluids in, less so. I generally experience a kinda "phantom" hunger, like "it's time to eat" Sometimes I wonder if it's more out of habit or just instinct. But definitely I don't have that ravenous hunger I would get pre sleeve, especially when I didn't eat all day... then I would eat a horse! :-) And of course, now when I eat, I feel satisfied very, very quickly. Lets see what others have to say about this. I know it's different for everyone. Hope your body/sleeve settles in soon!!!

I do feel hungry. I think it is hungry. The doctor gave me some medicine to help. I do have to agree though it is a different hungry. More managable and easy to tolerate. Maybe it is my body's way telling me that it is time to refuel my body. I also have to agree it is more enjoyable when I do experience hunger that a few bites sastifys that feeling.

So far, the only time I feel what I think is hunger is first thing in the morning. It is a very empty feeling and I guess gnawing is a good descriptor. A few bites of something will make it go away. Other than that, I eat because it's time. It is amazing because I used to feel starving all the time.

I was not hungry immediately after surgery and still do not get hungry. If I don't eat for a while, I feel empty and kind of lightheaded, but not hungry the way I used to. My stomach growls a lot full or empty so that is not a hunger indicator for me anymore.

I never had hunger after I was sleeved and continue not to have hunger. I do however get cravings, especially once a month. And still have head hunger, but not physical hunger.

You get hungry - but then you eat and its gone. You feel full. That's a big difference from pre-op

I never lost my hunger and I am ok with that. I no longer fear hunger because very little satisfies me. Just like a thin person! I used to a be a volume eater, so this is unbelievably great to me. This surgery is doing for me exactly what I wanted it to do.

At your stage I would sip full and Clear liquids ALL DAY LONG and consume between 500- 735 calories. That is more than many and I still lost 19.5 pounds that month. I just went to my 3 month check up and my surgeon and staff are very happy with my progress. If you feed your sleeve according to your surgeons plan, you will do great. There is no need to be hungry anymore.

Thanks Longer Life. I guess that's what I wanted to hear. I was a volume eater too and I am drinking full liquids all day long too. It's been kinda scary for me because I'm afraid I'll either stretch my sleeve or it won't work for me.

I hope this will change when I start solid food.

I almost never feel hunger. I only do if I go too long without eating (16 hours) and what feels like hunger when I am super nervous like when I was getting a crown at the dentist ;) Head hunger is still a problem.

Thanks Longer Life. I guess that's what I wanted to hear. I was a volume eater too and I am drinking full liquids all day long too. It's been kinda scary for me because I'm afraid I'll either stretch my sleeve or it won't work for me.

I hope this will change when I start solid food.

It will definitely change when you start solid foods. You won't stretch your sleeve. I don't think you can, even if you wanted to.

At your stage there were days that I would sip all day long and I was still hungry. A homemade, well seasoned & strained beef Soup hit the spot. It was incredibly satisfying. Now, many mini meals work great. I hope this helps!